Heresy III really sound like mini Cornwall III?

RTTR

Obviously the Cornwalls are BIG, it wouldn't be so bad if they wern't so wide but they are WIDE. And they are pretty expensive as well.

Anywho. I've been told that the new Heresy III sounds relatively the same as the Cornwall III minus the low end, how true is this?

I want some Hertiage and so does my NAD. And I'm getting embarrassed running F-3s with all this sexy gear. I keep on thinking I should just keep the F-3s but I know I'm missing so much by keeping them. But it's rather hard for me with no way to demo any Heritage products.

I can't answer about the H3's......but I bought new H2's and the longer I own them the more impressed I become with them..........What a great speaker considering it's overall size and cost........thought at first I made a big mistake, but I have a real bad habit of second guessing every purchase I make, but as time rolls on the better I like them. For me, at the time last year H2's were 600.+ a pair used, actually there was a Black pair in NYC that went for 625. I was pissed, lot of money for used. The H3's had just come out, got on the computer, checked around for leftover stock of H2's, AudioClassics came back to me with a price of $800. for a brand new Mahogany set of H2's in sealed boxes. I took them, made sense to me..........it took awhile to get the right placement, and to tune the Sub to them, but I got it, and couldn't be happier.........well, maybe that's not really true, I have a borrowed set of LaScalas down stairs now..........WOW....those babies ROCK.....of course the wife thinks they are BIG, Ugly, and stupid........Hell, I thought she was talkin' to me, not the speakers............The H2's are more intune to the wife, but all kidding aside, the Heresy is a Great speaker...............I can just about imagine what she'll say about Khorns........that's another story for another day.........ME....I have never heard a Heritage Speaker that I didn't like.......I really like the wood grain of the Heritage series, Hell I even like my KG4's............

I am a big fan of Heresys...I have 2 pair of the Heresy (Is) and have heard Heresy IIs...I am pretty much a big fan of the Hereitage series (I have K'Horns and Quartets as well...)...I also think the Klipsch "2 way" are very nice speakers (RB-5s and your F3s)...BUT...having never heard Heritage 3 way and only hearing the "new" Klipsch 2 way, I could be happy...but I have heard the Heritage 3 way and I prefer the Heritage 3 way...seems like it "fleshes out" the middle for me (some say and pushes it in your face...YMMV)...anyway...to your question...

I don't want to step on any toes or anything and knowing I prefer Heresys...(there, I got the Lawyer-like declarations out of the way finally!)...I have heard Heresy IIIs and Cornwall IIIs...both really nice sounding speakers...but to me...the Heresy III is the bargain (if you can call the price...almost twice the price of your F3s a bargain) and is quite a bit the Cornwall at maybe a third or quarter of the size...I REALLY liked the Heresy III and if I needed another set of speakers (like I need a hole in my head) I would SERIOUSLY consider these...REALLY impressed by them and I would get them over the Cornwall at their price points...

Good luck with your trials and tribulations...that is what this place does to you but it can be fun!

Enjoy!

Bill

OB...you got a set of LaScala??? How do you like them??? Excellent!

Bill

Their not mine.........It's a new scheme I've come up with.........I'm into speaker storage,I'll store speakers for forum members, then I can hook 'em up, listen to them, play with them, and never have to buy speakers again, constant rotation of speakers................hhmmm let me think a minute..........Hey, do you need your Khorns stored??????????[:D]

• Moderators

I went back and read your other thread about the H3's and it sounds like you are really wanting these.

The people that went to Hope got to hear them and all their Heritage brothers in one room, one amp and cd player and a switch box, which made it easy to compare the sound.

It was a Cayin integrated tube amp, around 22 watts and a Tube CD player. I don't know anything about tubes but that amp was really nice, plus it had a remote.

To be honest after listening to all the speakers being switched back and forth they all sounded great, but the one that really surprised me was the Heresy lll.

It and the Cornwall lll were my favorite, next was the Lascala.

Now the Klipschorn sounded great too, but when listening I had to consider the prices.

If money was not a problem I would order a pair of each, I was impressed !

When you consider the price the Heresy lll is a great speaker , a little shy with bass but look what I was compareing it to, much larger and more expensive speakers.

Is the Cornwall lll worth twice as much as the H lll ?, and it goes like that all the way up the chain.

I guess it all comes down to what it is exactly you are looking for and how much you are willing to pay. I can't say how they would compare to the ones you have because I haven't heard them.

If you think you want H lll try to find some to listen to and give a good listen, for the price it's very hard to beat. IMHO

I had the older Synergy and from what I have heard the the ones you have are much better than those.

I was / am very lucky, Klipsch made it easy to make my mind up, they GAVE me some Cornwall lll's at the Pilgrimage, every day when I walk through my living room I look at them and can't belive it ! No Bullshit, ask my wife.

My living room looks like I am a Klipsch freak, 2 Cornwall lll's and 6 Fortes for HT and a sub, it's hard to miss 8 speakers this size in a 18' x 24' room, It looks and sounds great. Just 2 more for the corners to round it off to a even 10 to make sure anybody that comes over gets the hint. The wife wants them , so i can't be greedy ya know.

Good luck, try to find some to listen to, hopefully a forum member, so you can get a good listen.

QRx112_5oc.jpg

This little QRx is really excellent, but expensive. The Xi are even more impressive in this category. http://www.electrovoice.com/products/190.html

The QRx-112/75 is a 12-inch two-way, full-range loudspeaker system with 300 watts continuous, 1,200 watts peak power handling. Can be easily biamped DH7 3-inch voice coil compression driver delivers beautifully detailed sound Asymmetrical 75° x 50° fully rotatable constant-directivity horn. In the factory-delivered position, the horn provides a 15°up/35° down vertical coverage pattern. The fully rotatable horn means that regardless of cabinet position, pattern control is fully user-determined.

The combo of a really nice woofer and a big CD horn never sounds too bad IME...

RTTR,

I hope you have a chance to hear the HIII and CWIII. I think that the description of the Heresy as a mini CW is fair.

As dtel points out, they share the same HF horns and drivers (and crossover point I think). So, they definitely sound like siblings. The question is whether the Heresy sounds full enough in the bottom end. To my ears, it is fine. There are some folks who find the Heresy missing too much there.

It seems that you have your heart set on the H-3. I don't mean to discourage you . . . too much. I'm beginning to think that small speakers, at least on floor, have problems which I did not consider earlier. I'm arguing that your should buy Forte II.

- - -

RE: Shared drivers.

I do agree that The H series do sound like the CW series without what I think is some very impressive bass. But let me say that some of the very best sound, short of K-Horns, I've hear was from Boomac's CWs in the spring visit to Wisconsin. It made me think that the big front surface has something to add to the midrange. Boomac was not demo-ing them, they were just happily playing at low level in his living room.

Many thanks to John M for playing his K-Horns at the same gathering.

My most extensive experience with little brother and big brother is my Quartets and Forte II. To some extent they are a closer match to each other than the H and CW. And I do love them both. Particularly the midrange tractrix.

- - -

RE: Small may be less tall than you want.

The problem is that the Quartets are short and thus I eventually built stands to get the midrange and tweeter up to ear level. So, maybe I should have bought a Forte or Forte II, which is taller. The cost of building the risers (time and effort) would have closed the cost gap.

I see that Klipsch will have you tilt up the small speakers for a better aim. That could work for you. I'm not quite buying into it.

- - - -

RE: Maybe a little less bass is not that little.

The other issue, in my view, is just how do we judge "without the bass".

I noted something about how Klipsch shows off speakers at the pilgrimage conventions. They start with the smallest and then go bigger and bigger. The small ones are darn good at first exposure; it sets a benchmark. So you are presented with good, better, and best.

Any buyer with constrains of money and size walks away thinking: "Good" is good enough for me, I remember how I was bowled over by the little ones.

I wonder if the same thing would happen if the presentation was made in the reverse order. The best would be presented as a benchmark. The impression would be: impressive, less impressive, least impressive. Then, perhaps, a buyer would hesitate at the smaller ones because it is not the benchmark.

- - - -

RE: Why not consider the older used models.

It seems that you're put off by the size of the CW3 and the cost, and going to the H3.

If someone came to me and asked for a recommendation, I'd steer them to the Forte II on the used market. It has the rich deep bass performance of the CW and the very nifty midrange tractrix. It is tall enough as a floorstander. The price is right.

= = =

Best,

Gil