The Church of Saint John Coltrane

Allan Songer

I was in San Francisco this weekend and attended services at the Church of Saint John Coltrane for the first time since they moved to their new location on Fillmore in the heart of the old SF Jazz discrict. The Church was on Divisidero since it was founded back in 1971. Reverand King and his wife are still going strong and the services were as uplifting as they have always been.

MUSICpost_1_-219x285.jpg

The hymns are traditional Catholic prayers sung to the music of John Cotrane, with three saxophones, bass, piano, organ and drums. There is an hour long jazz performance from 12-1 PM and the services are from 1-3. If you are in the Bay Area for any reason on a Sunday and want to be UPLIFTED, this is a place where it can happen.

http://www.coltranechurch.org/index.htm

During the year 1957, I experienced, by the grace of God, a spiritual awakening which was to lead me to a richer, fuller, more productive life. At that time in gratitude, I humbly asked to be given the means and the privilege to make others happy through music. I feel this has been granted through His grace. ALL PRAISE TO GOD!

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif John William Coltrane

spacer.gif

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be in SF from the 22nd - 26th of this month, but come in late on Sunday. If nothing else I will try and find this place and get a picture. Thanks for the heads-up.

Mike

PS. Can you recommend some good jazz clubs there? I'll only have Mon - Wed night, and I know those are not ideal nights.

Jazz in San Francisco?

One of my favorite clubs is Rasselas, which is also in "the Fillmore" in thier new location at 1534 Fillmore. Too bad you're not there on SATURDAY night, as Robert Stewart has a standing gig there when he's not out with Wynton or some other big time artist. The cover is minimal and this guy can BLOW!!! Monday night is a jam session--could be GREAT, but maybe not , , ,

http://www.rasselasjazzclub.com/

Stewart also plays at Pier 23 on TUESDAY nights, so this is a nice option. The sets are Pier 23 aren't as free-flowing and inventive--he has to play to a more conservative crowd, but Stewart can blow in almost ANY setting, so it will still be worth it to check him out!

http://www.pier23cafe.com/p23events.asp

Another great club is Pearl's.

http://www.jazzatpearls.com/

Lots of vocalists and plenty of blues artists, but some good jazz here too. Check the calendar.

Another club I like that is mostly blues and boogie, but a bunch of fun is the Boom Boom Room

http://www.boomboomblues.com/home.html

I heard Lonnie Smith here last year.

If you can get over to Oakland, Yoshi's at Jack London Square gets most of the major touring jazz artists who visit the Bay Area. EXPENSIVE, but nice.

http://www.yoshis.com/

Hope this helps. Too bad you're not there on Saturday--but if you can make it on Tuesday to Pier 23 you'll be hearing one of the best local SF jazz artists in Robert Stewart!

Wow, Allan, thanks for all the info!

I am going to be there on business (Oracle's Open World) but should have all of my nights free. I am actually staying in Redwood Shores (next to the Oracle bldgs) and will be commuting to SF every day. I will look into Pier23 for Tuesday night and see if I can't take a few others with me.

Mike

I did go on at length in a post a coupole of weeks ago in the "My baby's back . . " thread.

The C22 with the NOS Valves/Jensen rebuild is just freaking awesome. There is a clarity in the upper registers that is spectacular without sacrificing ANY of the midrange warmth that I am so fond on. Any hint of "muddiness" is just POOF! GONE GONE GONE!

Anyone who has bagged on vintage preamps and has not heard THIS one would be in for a real treat.

I love it! And for the results I hear, the price was DIRT CHEAP!!!

Allan,

Thanks for the post. I hadn't imagined there would be such a church.

Just so you know, this church does NOT worship John Coltrane. It is a Christian church--closer to Pentacostal than anything else--who believe that Coltrane should be sanctified and that through his music we can keep the fire burning, so to speak. They feel that through Coltrane's music we can come to a meditative union with God and thereby come to Christ.

If they feel they can bring souls to salvation through the music of John Cotrane, more power to them!

By the way, I am not a member of this church, but I do admire them.

I did go on at length in a post a coupole of weeks ago in the "My baby's back . . " thread.

The C22 with the NOS Valves/Jensen rebuild is just freaking awesome. There is a clarity in the upper registers that is spectacular without sacrificing ANY of the midrange warmth that I am so fond on. Any hint of "muddiness" is just POOF! GONE GONE GONE!

Anyone who has bagged on vintage preamps and has not heard THIS one would be in for a real treat.

I love it! And for the results I hear, the price was DIRT CHEAP!!!

hat is the DANGER of condemming old equipment ...for the sound

they all need a cap job ..

whadda ya think those guy's that designed the stuf ..

were Deaf ..??

I thought Mondays were open-mike jam sessions at Rasselas? At least that's what used to be happening on Mondays at their old digs. If it's Robert with his regular band, by all means! I would ABSOLUTELY call to confirm this before making plans.

Rasselas is WAY cooler!

Looks like the open-mic jam sessions have been moved to Wednesdays. It says Robert Stewart and the Experience on Monday night, so I assume that is his band.

Pier 23 doesn't accept credit cards so I think we will be going here on the Monday night.

Mike

Edit: The only problem is he starts later there (9:30 - 1:30) and we will probably have to leave around 11:30. We then have a 30 minute drive to our hotel, and another to get back to SF in the morning by 7:30.