Erland's Khorn project (lot's of pictures)

Erland

With a deep respect for PWK and his constructions, I decided to build me a pair of Khorn's. My intention regarding the bass bin, was to stick to the building plans, with a few exceptions.

I also like to thank you all for your advise and patience with my "amatour questions" during the planning phase of my project. Without your knowledge I probably would not have known where to start.

So this is my story:

Starting of with a coupel of 3/4" birch plywood plates
bass1.jpg

Another question;

The surface the Khorns eventially will be standing on are wooden floor. To place the plywood bottom directly on the wooden floor does not seem right to me. What is recommended to place between?

I have a set of threaded Soundcare Superspikes here, but I have never seen a Khorn on spikes before, so I am not sure if that's the way to go?

More of the rubber mat that I used insidethe horns?

Please chare your experienses....

Now the other side.....

bass11.jpg

Details like this does of course not mather on the sound, but when building somethings that I plan to keep in my home for years to come, I like all details, even the hidden ones to be right. I have cut the hole very carefully and intend to use the part that came out as a reinforcement of the hatch.

Very nice workmanship.

I believe that placing the bass bin directly on the floor is recommended. Nothing in between. I believe that PWK's patent uses the floor and walls as an extension of the horn.

In most cases people are setting the bass bin on carpet since that's what is on the floor. But if you have wooden floors it is not incorrect to set directly on the floor.

You know it is hard to determine how much time passing by when you're having fun:)

I have been working on this a few hrs. a day for a while, but I am working a lot out of the country, so I am having diifeculties to keep any track of hours. But if I had to make a wild guess;
It would probably take me 7-8 days of consistent work to build the basshorn.

I have both the Klipsch and Speakerlab plans and a lot of pictures that I have collected from this forum and the web in general.
I have used the Klipsch plans for measurment and cutting, but the Speakerlab plans has a lot of explinations, tips and hints that has come useful for an amatour.