Altec 902 Drivers

bluesboy

My understanding is that the T has the loading cap installed on the rear cover cap to limit diaphragm excursion which increases power handling. The loading cap is removable. For hifi use, most remove the loading cap.

Does removing the loading cap influence the driver's sound quality?

• 3 months later...

I just recently emailed Bill at Great Plains Audio on removing the loading cap of the 902-8T because I just bought some myself. He replied that it does not make a difference in sound. I myself can see how it would, but if Bill says it does not. He should know more than most! On Bill's say, for now I'm leaving mine in.

As I recall, Mr. Fogg has removed the caps from his 902's (two-way) and believes that there is an improvement in the top end.

IMHO, it comes down to the cross point, how steep the slopes are, and how hard they are driven. If one crosses at say 600hz or above, (even in 1st order) and listens to 80db peaks, cap removal is safe.

BUT, if one crosses at 400hz and hammers the SPL's in first order.......leave them in. I cross at 450hz or so, run them up to peaks in the 120db range, and hear no diaphragm click. Higher order, or extreme slope filters would be an extra factor of safety.

Again IMO, the 902 will handle much more than advertised. I believe that Altec gives them a conservative rating due to PRO use and abuse.

Terry

LOL!

It won't be used at home. My home center is a Heresy. I'm going to build a 3rd Peavey FH-1/Altec 511B system for the center channel of a 100 seat side auditorium in our new church. We'll use it for movies on "Date Night".

Think I would leave the plugs in and cross at 500 or 600hz if possible.[^o)] How far do you intend to run out the FH-1?

tc

EDIT: I now see that it is a sub.

LOL!

It won't be used at home. My home center is a

Heresy. I'm going to build a 3rd Peavey FH-1/Altec 511B system

for the center channel of a 100 seat side auditorium in our new

church. We'll use it for movies on "Date Night".

Think I would leave the plugs in and cross at 500 or 600hz if possible.[^o)] How far do you intend to run out the FH-1?

tc

The FH-1s are not subs thought that is the stylish

term for woofer by almost everybody on eBay. They'll get down to

maybe 60 Hz with the Peavey woofer. tom Brennan says his went

down to 50, solid, in his home.

The FH-1s are a lot like big Belles. They run about 104

dB/w/m. I designed a network that crosses over at 1000 Hz

and shaves the 106 db hump off of the 902/511B. The high pass

slope is about 15 db/octave. I don't have to have an L-pad.

I also installed a polyswitch to protect the 902.

I'll post the schematic, if you are interested.

LOL!

It won't be used at home. My home center is a Heresy. I'm going to build a 3rd Peavey FH-1/Altec 511B system for the center channel of a 100 seat side auditorium in our new church. We'll use it for movies on "Date Night".

tc

The FH-1s are not subs thought that is the stylish term for woofer by almost everybody on eBay. They'll get down to maybe 60 Hz with the Peavey woofer. tom Brennan says his went down to 50, solid, in his home.

The FH-1s are a lot like big Belles. They run about 104 dB/w/m. I designed a network that crosses over at 1000 Hz and shaves the 106 db hump off of the 902/511B. The high pass slope is about 15 db/octave. I don't have to have an L-pad. I also installed a polyswitch to protect the 902.

I'll post the schematic, if you are interested.

Please do.

tc