Why do I do this to myself? (Forte II vs. RF-7)

wuzzzer

Well folks, thanks to Klipsch I find myself in a dilemma. Actually, its more thanks to craigslist (again).

Here's what the ad said: "Klipsch Forte II speakers. Perfect condition, medium oak finish, $400."

Hmm, not a bad deal considering that on eBay most of the Forte speakers have sold in the $500-700 range. So, I considering emailing the seller and then forget about them. About a week later I do a search on craigslist for speakers and...what's this?...the same ad but this time they're listed for $275!!

I immediately emailed the seller and asked about them. He said they were still available. I asked when I could pick them up. Saturday at 12:30pm. Ok, sounds good.

So my best friend and I drove to the guy's house which was about an hour and a half from where I live. He had them sitting outside on his wood porch. They were a little bigger than I thought they'd be. They weren't exactly what I'd call perfect, but I would call them excellent. They looked really, really nice.

The gentleman said that he used to own Klipschorns also and has only listened to classical music through tube amps on all his Klipsch speakers. I asked him why he got rid of the Khorns and he said he's joining the priesthood. As I left he had a very sad look on his face as he said "Take care of them, ok?"

Unfortunately I wasn't able to listen to them at his place but I could tell that considering how nice the cabinets looked, they would probably sound perfect.

So, I hooked them up and placed them in between my RF-7s and my TV. I just wanted to make 100% sure they worked. BIG MISTAKE. The Fortes sounded good. Really good. REALLY good. REALLY REALLY GOOD.

It was impossible to do a good A/B test as you'll see in the attached pic. The Fortes were way too close to each other to get a good idea of imaging and stereo separation. I had my friend switch back and forth between the two. The RF-7s definitely played louder, the 3dB difference in sensitivity was easy to hear. There was just something about the midrange on the Fortes though. On some drums it had just a certain 'smack' that the RF-7s don't have.

I put in about 15 different CDs, 5 music concert DVDs and also Star Wars III which we ended up watching in its entirety (mainly to show off the SVS to my friend).

Am I crazy to actually consider getting rid of the RF-7s and keeping the Forte IIs?? I can't keep both pairs, one of them has to go. I was really worried that this might be the outcome.

Oh, BTW, the serial #s on the backs of the speakers are 098292147 and 098292150. Any idea when they were made? 98?

post-18173-13819314388452_thumb.jpg

wuzzzer,

I love the Forte line ! However one consideration you should think about is finding the Perfect Center speaker. The Academy runs about 500.00 and they are Hard to find. Whereas the RC7 is eaiser to obtain..........

Just food for thought........... What a nice delimena you have :>).

Well, I currently have a 2 channel setup and I don't foresee changing that anytime soon. The way my basement is designed, rear speakers are almost impossible to set up so I ditched my old Dolby Pro-Logic setup in favor of a 2 channel system that blows away everything I previously had.

One other question, does anyone know what the minimum impedence of the Forte IIs are? I'm just wondering if they're easier to drive than RF-7s.

I'm going to give myself about a week to decide which ones go. I may have already made up my mind, however.

Now from the Rf 7 owners..................

As Michael would say it's a set collect them all !

BWHAHAHAHAHAA

Why do you think I use the greeting 'Welcome to the Madness'?

You have just heard so many love Klipsch Heritage! There's just something about that original PWK engineering and three-way sound.

Should you decide that you prefer the Reference RF7, the Forte II in Oak is next in my line of 'must have' speakers. I'd be glad to take them off your hands (seriously- my home office is the only room without Klipsch, embarassing, huh?)

Michael

Duke...I don't have Forte' (...and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night) but do have the Quartet...I would agree wholeheartedly about the little Klipschorn description...I guess the Quartets would be "just a bit little'r Klipschorn..."

VERY tough to beat...I can't compare to RF-7 but comparing RB-5s (Reference) to Heritage...the 3 way does it for me...

Good luck with your tough choices!

Bill

Unless you plan on spending time and money to put the front end on the 7's to do them justice I'd keep the Forte's.The 3way Klipsch I've had work well with most any decent avr or prepro/amp.The 7's on the other hand require much more work to get the right combo to bring out their qualities.

Ditch the 7's! Ditch the 7's!! LOL

Seriously though, I have not heard the 7's but have heard the smaller ones right below it along with most of the other fairly recent Klipsch lines. Honestly, I have never been to fond of any of them.

Again, I have never heard the Forte' II's, but I have heard the Forte's and Chorus and definately preferred the sound of them over the Reference and Senergy line. Obvioulsy, I have heard the Cornwalls as well, and really like them over the others. The old KG line did pretty good as well, but they did lack that midrange "snap" at times (KG5.5, 5.2. 3.2).

All and all, I'd stick with the Forte' II's if it were me. They are the closest thing to the true Heritage line (without the bulk) and are the only Klipsch loudspeakers I have ever really liked.

Hey Dukey!...

"still hard ta beat a 3-way, isn't it ..??"

True, it takes a bit to beat a good 3-way, but I feel I have finally beaten the 3-way Cornwall with my current Cornwall/Altec combo in active, bi-amped 2-way mode. Granted, there's more money, more electronics in the signal path and more time involved, but the end results are great and I would do it over again! [;)]

I would say just let your ears decide, but try not to make a quick decision. The Fortes were made in '89.

My Cornwalls were made in '79 and a lot of people prefer them over the RF series. Age has nothing to do with it. Just make sure the caps in the networks are up to snuff and you'll be fine.

Doing more listening today. I have a live CD from a local central MN band that's extremely well recorded that I've used as a reference disc. Sounds incredible.

Last night my best friend made the comment when listening to a live concert DVD that the Fortes sound more like a live band playing right in the room and the RF-7s sound like speakers playing recorded music.

If these are from '89 as someone said they are in incredible shape for being almost 20 years old!

Should you decide that you prefer the Reference RF7, the Forte II in Oak is next in my line of 'must have' speakers. I'd be glad to take them off your hands (seriously- my home office is the only room without Klipsch, embarassing, huh?)

Michael

I'll give it some thought Michael, but I have a feeling that there will be a pair of RF-7s going up for sale very soon...

Michael

I'll give it some thought Michael, but I have a feeling that there will be a pair of RF-7s going up for sale very soon...

dang, that's HARSH! But welcome to the Heritage Club buddy! No wonder Klipsch brought them back!

Have you spent any time with any Heritage speakers before? Your friends description is right on. To me the Reference is almost too crisp, too sterile if you will. The Heritage sounds more like LIVE music.

It's that mid horn. For my tastes, having the crossover smack in the middle of the most important parts of the music and critical portion of the ear's listening curve is just not right. Dividing it up three ways puts the first xover much lower and the top on much higher. 2 way is just asking too much.

M

Congrats Wuzzer,

Date code makes them 1992 by the way.

Forte II's are an awesome speaker as is the rest of the Heritage line.(I guess in reality they are called that "other" line now. bahhhh pffffffft) Rock On !!!!!!!!!

Good luck with your choice.

Ditch the 7's! Ditch the 7's!! LOL

Seriously though, I have not heard the 7's but have heard the smaller ones right below it along with most of the other fairly recent Klipsch lines. Honestly, I have never been to fond of any of them.

Again, I have never heard the Forte' II's

Great advise from someone that's never heard either of the speakers in question.I say LOL's to that.There are 7's then there is everything else.You may not like em' and that's fine but many will listen to gear on a variety of sources before they judge it,some won't.By the way,I really like the Forte I and II,they sound very nice and full with good mids.Sometimes people feel the need to lower your thing in hopes it raises their thing but it's all just a matter of personal taste.I know people that don't like any Klipsch speakers and think their xx is way better,don't mean their right or wrong or have better or worse hearing,just preference.

WUZ.....please don't take this wrong, no disrespect meant....You just stepped up....the Heritage Line is a great line.....give yourself a couple of months, then give us alittle review........You'll never look back again.........Heritage is the only line I ever considered.....Good luck and Enjoy..........You can't go wrong owning Klipsch.....any line of Klipsch................CRANK 'EM..................FISH, I am not disrespecting the Reference series, at all, please don't take it that way..........there is just something about the Wood Grain that I really like...........