Any Panasonic Digital Receiver owners out there?

oldbuckster

I understand how this works now:

I see you just bought a new car -- how does it perform?

I push on the gas and it goes. I step on the brakes and it stops. I turn the steering wheel and it turns -- it's a good car. It's not much different than other cars that do that stuff.

Dean,

I like your analogy on the car. Around here a lot of the kids tweak their car's performance using ears also. Then some troublemaker shows up with a stop-watch and ruins their whole day.

Bob

The Panasonic's price kinda scares me, it is very in-expensive as compared to other Brands..........Now I realize that shouldn't throw me, but I have to wonder why they can sell at such a low rate....Is it the way it's built, the way they acheive their power ratings, is it something about the Digital make up of the product, or what features are missing that I would use? Alot of questions for me, that's why I ask. Have found some really good prices for Sony ES, lower than I ever thought possible............Outlaw Audio, I've heard and read alot about, if I have a problem, I can drive it right to them, plus I don't know anyone who owns their equipment, other than forum members........and then the Panasonic, a very inexpensive piece of equipment, that for some reason has me thinking about trying it....choices, choices , choices..........What's an old fart to do???? ASK QUESTIONS I guess..................Thanks guys

OB,

A couple of thoughts, one, if you could find any of Dave Mallett's posts on an earlier model of the Panasonic, he thinks it's the best thing since canned beer. That would add more info to the hopper. One thing I thought was interesting about Dave's take, is what he does in his work of production recording CD's. He listens pretty critically for his work. So he's not a casual listener. I found his take on the amp to be interesting.

The other thing, this chip amp is about the size of a postage stamp. I was taken aback with the teeny tiny size of the thing when I looked inside of a Sonic Impact T amp.

The price issue is interesting across the board in audio. Mark Deneen had to raise the price on his Merlin preamp from $600 to $800 before they started selling.

Some things actually sound too good for their cost.

Anyway, I don't get anything if you buy it or not. Just my $.02.

I understand how this works now:

I push on the gas and it goes. I step on the brakes and it stops. I turn the steering wheel and it turns -- it's a good car. It's not much different than other cars that do that stuff.

Dean, I like your analogy on the car. Around here a lot of the kids tweak their car's performance using ears also. Then some troublemaker shows up with a stop-watch and ruins their whole day. Bob

Ok I am an idiot,but Bob is talking about horsepower right? Just like 330 Hp engine from Ford is like a 330 Hp is from Chevy, but then your gotta consider the transmission.

A couple of thoughts, one, if you could find any of Dave Mallett's posts on an earlier model of the Panasonic, he thinks it's the best thing since canned beer. That would add more info to the hopper. One thing I thought was interesting about Dave's take, is what he does in his work of production recording CD's. He listens pretty critically for his work. So he's not a casual listener. I found his take on the amp to be interesting.

When Dave asked about the digital Panasonic amps, I replied that one of my brothers had bought the first digital model (the SA-RX10) a few years ago and was extremely pleased with its sonics with both 2-channel stereo and home theatre playback! It's unique all chrome slender chassis that never got hot to the touch even when playing DVDs at near live levels, was one of the selling points for him, along with its excellent dynamics with just a little chip inside (no transistors, bulky trannies, and finger-burning heat sinks)! It served him well for years until just recently when he sold it to help finance a new PP tube power amp from Isreal (the J. Sound Lab from Signal Audio, using four 6L6s and two 5881s for 18 watts per side)...he loves tube amps too much, I suppose!

post-11084-1381931449737_thumb.jpg

I understand how this works now:

Dean, I like your analogy on the car. Around here a lot of the kids tweak their car's performance using ears also. Then some troublemaker shows up with a stop-watch and ruins their whole day. Bob

Ok I am an idiot,but Bob is talking about horsepower right? Just like 330 Hp engine from Ford is like a 330 Hp is from Chevy, but then your gotta consider the transmission.

OR a 330 horse FORD in a CORVETTE should perform the same as a 330 horse CHEVY in a FORD????????????????

I've been using a Panasonic XR50 with my Cornwalls for a few weeks and I would say it sounds clean and quiet with plenty of power. However, and this may sound a bit strange, but it does sound noticeably compressed to me.

PLEASE NOTE: This may just be audio guy bias since I definitely feel funny about all the setup one must do to get it to just run two channel. Kind of a mental block against such a long audio path (I am a big tone control defeater guy). If a double blind test kicked my butt, I would concede.

Truthfully, and you guys may laugh, but I really like the sound of a Yamaha AX-596 with bypassed tone controls - very clean, dynamic and punchy (a surprise to me, but some other audio guys I know have felt the same way - it just lacks the prestige factor).

I also have a Fisher 500C I rebuilt a few years back and it sounds great, but is a little too thick sounding with my Cornwalls in my medium sized room (it may shine better in a big room).

The Yamaha is coming back to my system, but my guess is that if someone had a dedicated two channel integrated chip amp with attention to the audiophiles' need for a minimal signal path - it may be the best thing since sliced bread. My prediction is the chip amp technology has great potential for the future of audio excellence.

Andy

Klipschguy, when you say compressed, can you better describe what that means.....Like the sound of MP3's, I think that is compressed, in my meaning of the word........and tone controls, I have never used tone controls, nor have I ever used the Loudness button, don't know why, just never have...........The digital Panasonic has me thinking about leaning that way....but I guess what confuses me the most, If my present Sony is 100 per X 6, and I am not happy with 2 channel performance, why would the Panasonic Digital at 100X6 be any better? Is that a fair way to ask that question............................Now if I go to Sony ES I'm probably looking at 150 perX7 or better......................and the Outlaw would be 65 per x6.....such a wide range in watts.........I understand that 150 really isn't different than 100 per....but the 65per might be underpowered....here is where I'm torn....Does any of this make sense to anyone but me............................please shoot some ideas my way....Bottom Line to all of this ............The Panasonic is less than Half the price of other listed models.............go figure

Bob,

I'm running a sub with it, but I've tried it with and without. I have also tried the different receiver settings. The bass is fine.

Buckster,

All I can say is when I close my eyes my system sounds more like speakers than live music thru the Panasonic versus the Yamaha. I generally equate this to some type of dynamic compression. If you want an idea of what I'm talking about on a much more obvious scale, just listen to a CD vs. the same song on the FM tuner and you get the gist. The CD will sound much less compressed and more dynamic.

The Panasonic is slight version of the CD/FM comparison thing...just not so dramatic. Again, it could be audio guy psychological bias, so I'm giving it more time. Please note, the sound is good - I had the Cornwalls belting out some good sound just after my last post in this thread.

I am only giving empirical observation about the Panasonic and as you know, empiricism, especially in audio, needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Heck, the unit is inexpensive, pick up a refurb and return it if you don't like it (or even better give it as a Christmas present - great gift).

Andy

Okay, I got out the Rat Shack meter and really worked with the speaker placement and various sub settings (also tried no sub) and although the sound is pretty good, I'm sticking with my original impression that the audio sounds somewhat compressed and/or overprocessed. I have everthing possible defeated that could overprocess the signal - still the same. I strongly prefer my dedicated two channel Yamaha (hey, maybe I'm deaf, but it is my ears I have to please).

On the high side, I do like the tuner, the unit is very quiet, it is versitile, and the output is clean. IMHO, the Panasonic is a very good unit for a multichannel home theater but may not be the best choice for serious dedicated 2 channel. BTW, I gave a friend of mine a Panasonic XR25 a couple of years ago for Christmas and it works well in his multichannel 6.1 setup - even with music.

My Panasonic will be used in the future for a HT setup.

Klipsher, I think I read your answer this way................Panny is a good performer in the HT mode, but I still may find it lacking in 2 channel....given the fact my Sony is 100 per, and the Panny is 100 per, I would see no difference in 2 channel performance.............all said and done it's a wash............one is not better,nor is it worse................Is that fair to say? So maybe the best thing for me to think about is, going to the Sony ES model at 150 per and hopefully that will help power the 2 channel end alittle better....or is that just wishfull thinking on my part?