Any Panasonic Digital Receiver owners out there?

oldbuckster

I think BEC just got one of these. I know he got some kind of new fangled receiver.

JT

Funny you mentioned that, that is the reason I'm looking at them becauses BEC happened to mention them awhile back......I will look at product he mentions..anyday...If He owns or knows, he'll jump in............he's probably reading this now............BEC Where You At.......................Info please................

...OB...yes, I believe he just bought one...look forward to hearing his thoughts at this time...I believe he didn't like the lack of bass on some digital receivers but felt this Panny had it goin' on!

Bill

I didn't realize he might have bought one, I remember him mentioning them......More Info...never get enough.........

OB,

Yes, I bought a Panasonic SA-XR55. It seems to me to be very good. Lots of power and very quiet with no input. Price was $219.98 shipped from Amazon. Since I am not a audiophile and don't like making up terms for the undefinable, you won't get a description that includes lifting veils or skirts or whatever from me. Just a recommendation of the Panny as being a good amp. Haven't even used it as a receiver yet, so can't comment at all on that part.

Bob Crites

• Like 1

May I ask a few more question? I'm gonna anyway..................Are you happy with it's performance as a 2 channel? The reason I ask, my Sony is rated at 100 watts per, in 5.1 and DTS mode the sound is fine, I expect no more than I get, but it seem's to lack in 2 channel operation...alittle dissapointed, but not the BEST Sony offers, so I live with it. Had Panasonic 25 years ago, everyone laughed, but it was a good unit, alittle underpowered, but solid performer........then I remember you mentioned Panasonic, so I will consider looking into them. I really don't want 2 systems, am looking for one unit to fill my 5.1, DTS, and 2 channel needs..............Will this unit fit those requirements? The receiver end of it means nothing to me.............Radio is Radio....never use FM anyway...an insight will be appreciated.............

Since I am not a audiophile and don't like making up terms for the undefinable, you won't get a description that includes lifting veils or skirts or whatever from me.

That is just pure Bullshit and I'm not going to let you get away with anymore. All amplifiers don't sound the same, and if you are used to the sound from what you had, you can employ verbaige of your choosing to describe what, if anything it brings to the table compared to what you were using. There is nothing wrong with using words in an attempt to describe sound.

Debbie walked into the room a couple of months ago and said, "That sounds a little brash, it sounded better before -- what did you do?" I should have told her she was just a dumb audiophile and to quit making up words for the undefinable.

Agreed......I just seek some input......good input....bad input....curious about that type of receiver...full digital...even though I'm unsure of what that means....never have enough knowledge.................When your through learning.......Your through.......EH

Deang...please go back to parrot post and read my response......

I haven't heard the Panasonic, though I know it has a huge following in some circles. Basically, it's a multichannel chip amp.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/504392.aspx

The Sonic Impact T2 spends a lot of time in my system:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-956

The sound is neither like tubes or solid state -- it has a sound all its own. Output impedance with these amps is very low and I have very solid bass through my Klipschorns. Treble through tube amps is more airy or atmospheric in nature, but the digital comes close. What I mostly notice about the top end is how silky smooth and clean it is. Even good solid state always has a bit of grainy or hashing quality to it. The midrange is rich without sounding thick, and devoid of glare. The T2 is the second best amp I've ever heard. The best amp(s) I've heard cost almost 20 times more and turn my room into a toaster oven.

The T2 is the second best amp I've ever heard.

Dean, wow. That's a pretty definitive statement.

I'd like to get one of the Panasonic receivers in your system for a listen. I was trying to remember the other day if it was you who had a much higher powered digital amp a while back. The one I was thinking of was some kind of pro sound type unit.... maybe one of the types that was advertised as used in the Athens Olympics. Was that you? Or do you recall anything about it?

The T2 is the second best amp I've ever heard.

Dean, wow. That's a pretty definitive statement.

I'd like to get one of the Panasonic receivers in your system for a listen. I was trying to remember the other day if it was you who had a much higher powered digital amp a while back. The one I was thinking of was some kind of pro sound type unit.... maybe one of the types that was advertised as used in the Athens Olympics. Was that you? Or do you recall anything about it?

waits isn't the T2 the one available from partsexpress for $29.00?

I had one of the Carver Z series of amps for a try out, and ended up liking the sound of the QSC PLX better. The Carver's upper registers sounded congested by comparison.

Big difference between the little SI and the SI T2. The T2 sounds great -- noticably cleaner and smoother, and without that etched quality in the treble that I heard in the TEAC (an amp that I liked nonetheless). Now, the T2 only has 15 watts. I get away with it because I have Klipschorns and a pretty small listening area. I don't have a lot of time to dink with audio anymore now that I'm doing the Mr. Mom thing most of the week -- but I really want to try two of them in a vertical biamping setup.

Dean,

Now I remember the Carver. On the PLX, is it also a switcher? I notice QSC doesn't use the term "digital" to describe the amp. They talk about "pulses".

Anyway, thanks for your take. Interesting observation contrasting the Super-T and Teac. I've also been favorably impressed with the Teac. I drove the Teac with Peach and later Merlin and thought it sang nicely.

Now I'm going to have to get the Super T.[;)]

I'll blame you when I'm in trouble with Jan.

Mr. Mom doesn't have much time for audio, for sure.

OB,

You set the Panny up for whatever number of speakers you want to drive. I just set it up for two mains and no sub and that is the only way I have listened to it. You could have any number of speakers connected and just drive the ones you want at any given time by changing the set-up best I can tell.

Dean,

Chill out. I did not say that all amps are the same. There are good amps and bad amps. But most amps are better than your ears. You need to do something other than just listen with your plus or minus 10 db ears on your plus or minus 5 db speakers in your plus or minus 10 db room to be able to judge amps that are much better than any of those.

Bob

I understand how this works now:

I see you just bought a new car -- how does it perform?

I push on the gas and it goes. I step on the brakes and it stops. I turn the steering wheel and it turns -- it's a good car. It's not much different than other cars that do that stuff.

Just trying to compare power sources....Thinking about Sony ES.......Outlaw Audio...and I saw and remembered BEC mentioning Panasonic Digital..........I need an all in one type unit, to cover my 5.1, DTS needs, plus provide good solid 2 channel re-production.....I have ruled out Tubes, and SET's out......not right for me...........although I do want to hear VRD's..............So, that's why I ask........I would rather buy Brand New than pre-used, but don't hold me to that..........Funny part, I was as happy as a clam with my stereo, until I logged on to this FORUM..................It's been down hill ever since................

Sony ES, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, and a host of others all make amps or stuff with amp sections that are 'good'. Amps that put out clean sound, are quiet, and don't give you any problems are 'good' amps. On paper, they all look pretty much the same. Bob's point to me in his last post is that amplifiers of all kinds have flatter response and lower distortion than any speaker, and combined with what a room does to the sound along with the hearing curves of most people -- means any 'good amp' will do. 'Quality of power' is just an abstract and doesn't mean anything. So, simply buy based on the features you want -- any difference you think you might actually be hearing is just placebo effect.

Uh, O.K.

http://sound.westhost.com/amp-sound.htm

Anyways, you might try the Panasonic. It appears to be one of those rare products that offers a lot for very little money -- and puts out a sound that a lot of people like.