wow

Allan Songer

Guys I'm not looking to start a fight, or make any foolish statement, but really now, don't you think that is alittle much for that turntable.?........................What would make a piece of equipment like that so expensive?......I am serious, what is up with that unit, is it rare, only a couple made, why so expensive.?...................Shed some light on this for me...please...

Guys I'm not looking to start a fight, or make any foolish statement, but really now, don't you think that is alittle much for that turntable.?........................What would make a piece of equipment like that so expensive?......I am serious, what is up with that unit, is it rare, only a couple made, why so expensive.?...................Shed some light on this for me...please...

As Les McCann would say: "Compared to what?"

The table is worth about $1000 in that condition with the plinth. The arm is worth about $800 or so and the SPU GT is worth about $700, the other shell/catridge about $100 or so. The buyer paid a 20% premium to get them all in one package in what looks like PRISTINE condition.

Not only was this rig state of the art circa 1965 or so, it will MORE than hold it's own today with rigs selling in the $2000-$3000 range. As for me, I wouldn't trade mine for ANY table/arm/cartridge combo you could name in the sub-$5000 range (new, retail prices).

You know, when this stuff could be had brand new the cartridge retailed for about the same amount as the turntable! The SPU was the most expensive cartridge you could buy--it was about $100 back in the mid 60's!!

Hmm...I've got the TD124 and the RS-212...2 out of 3 ain't bad!

When are you gonna start USING them?

Need a plinth?

Need a cartridge?

Let's get MOVING on this, buddy!!!

Heh, absolutely right, Allan! I've got a Denon 103, and a plinth. I picked up a pair of Altec/Peerless 4722 transformers with which I'll be making a (hopefully killer) step-up transformer. I MAY need the counterbalance for the RS-212, not sure until I mount the cartridge. I could always rig up something temporary, with some buffalo nickels and blu tac or something....

I Finally got my 125 in my main rack. Still need to go through all the setup. Why does the novelty wear off so soon?

M

Mike not lookin' for any trouble...........REALLY I'M NOT......I find that statement CURIOUS...Could you sorta' explain your logic without causing a big to do over nothing? Opinions are like noses, we all have one........................or if you feel more comfortable answer thru E-mail...that might be better

Yowza, we've taken a derect hit mon capitan[:'(] Don't tell me you went and had that table dailed in by Scott and it's still just a novely to you? I know they are not pop and go but you have heard your vinyl again and can make that statement so easily[:|]

Heck, why put that old thing in the main rig why not ship it down to Kaisers for a while and I'll appreciate it for you[;)]

All I can say is "30 days in the hole"[6]

When buying a table, arm and cartridge,set up correctly, that alone is worth a good price. Mint condition, worth more. If it is the sound a person likes, it is worth more. None of us can say what something is worth to somebody else, just to ourselves. Colter, I am surprised to see you with the Thorens again, after all your mishap. However, with a nice record collection, it will bring you enjoyment. Good to you for "sticking it out".