Some rock LP . . .

Allan Songer

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fascinating auction - read all the details.

What is not clear is - who owns the rights to the music on the acetate? I have a feeling that if you own the disk - you own the rights.

As such - it is a bargain. Rip it, clean out the surface damage and the scratches - cut a CD and you will get your money back many times over.

Nice find Allan.

What is not clear is - who owns the rights to the music on the acetate? I have a feeling that if you own the disk - you own the rights.

No, rights don't pass to someone just because he has a physical recording in his hands. He'll own the acetate, and nothing else, no rights to release it. He could sell a dub to a bootlegger but that's illegal and would diminish the value of his acetate.

Allan, I have watched your posts for a long time, and you seem, to me anyway, the leading man when it comes to Jazz. You know your field of music, hands down, no one is even close...........but, trust me on this, the Velvet Underground with Nico and Lou Reed are such an over rated band. They are more advant guarde than music.......I really don't understand how they are rated so high in rock circles......Yes, they were different, Yes, they could be called trend setters, Yes, they introduced the rock world to Lou Reed, but how an album such as you posted can warrant that kinda money, is beyond me.Of course I'd like to be the seller, who wouldn't, but based on the content of the Music, I would never be the buyer. I guess it's all what you are looking for, but in my opinion that is not Rock Music, it's just Andy Warhol and his croonies having a goof and calling it music.That was a strange scene in NYC at that time, and the Velvet Underground reflected that image. I'm sure I'll get beaten up over this statement, but I feel it's the truth........

No, rights don't pass to someone just because he has a physical recording in his hands. He'll own the acetate, and nothing else, no rights to release it. He could sell a dub to a bootlegger but that's illegal and would diminish the value of his acetate.

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you - but this might well be the only copy in existance - other than that made digitally from it. This is, in effect, copyright by default - you need an expert in copywrite law for this kind of thing..

You are entirely missing the point of copyright of artistic works. Owning a physical copy of the work does not grant a right to reproduce and profit from the sale of the work. You can't buy a museum book of Monet, start printing posters of 'Bridge over Water Lillies' any more than you can start burning CD's of Pink Floyd's 'The Wall' and start hawking them on street corners.

If one of my clients takes a proof photo and takes it to Kinkos or scans and starts printing my images for others, they are stealing from me.

Point is that what you do with it IS NOT UP TO YOU. There are laws that govern the reproduction of an artists work. That is what happened with Napster, Kazaa and other 'file sharing' schemes. They were stealing artists work with no compensation.

This acetate might be a special case, I'd sure consult an attorney before I purchased it thinking I could reproduce and sell it without giving royalties to the artist, record company, etc.

Michael

Here's an interesting site explaining common myths surrounding copyright

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

hmmm don't know why the link below isn't working, the windows for linking have changed- has anyone done this successfully?

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Then how can I legally sell such an album for such a price? What is the point of owning such an album if I'm so restricted as to what I can do with it? What you seem to be saying is, I can look at it, I can brag about owning it, but if I make a copy for you, it is illegal? Am I close? If I am not charging a fee, how can it be illegal? Would it not be considered a gift if no fee is charged...............I ask because I don't know the answer........all I know, is $31,000. for that album is well................crazy at best............

WOW. Now at $38.5k with 6 days left in the auction. Just glad I don't have to listen to it!

Colter is right. Even if you own the only copy in existence, you don't own the copyright.

The copyright belongs to the "author" who first created the work of expression - with two main exceptions:

First, when the author assigns all of his copyright ownership rights before the work is created - the assignee owns the copyright.

Second, when the work is created by someone in the course of their employment - the employer owns the copyright.

The copyright on this POS probably belongs to some record label.

James