Klipsch RF-7 and Cornwall II OR III

WIZARD1959

My first Klipsch question exciting !

I have a Carver Power Amp m1.5 rated at 350 watts a channel. Currently It drives Bose 901's series 6. I just purchased a pair of RF-7's . I have not heard the RF-7's with the Carver yet. The Carver has never sounded that great with the 901's. What type of amp should I have to drive the RF-7'S ? I also want to drive a pair of Cornwalls II'S or III'S. I am not sure what series to buy ??? Can I run the RF-7s and the Cornwalls together or is this going to create variances between the different speakers. Lay it on me you Klipsch guru's I have always had 901's for 30 years. I think I have been missing out !!!! I want to shake off my new shake roof ! I have no room for the K-horns !

Regards,

The Wizard

wizard welcom!

i am not one of the guru's congrats on
your aqusition on the 7's. and from many others experience you will
really like these speakers'

after 30 years of the feeling of missing some thing ,my hope is that you'll find,and reconise what might have missing.

i have cornwall and have andam verry pleased with these , may your search be fruitfull.[:D]

Wizard:

Congrats on your RF-7s. My favorite solid state amp with RF-7s has been the QSC PLX 1202 (a pro amp), but there are a number of nicer solid state amps that work well with Reference (McIntosh, B&K, Rotel, Classe, Krell). Keep in mind that RF-7s have low and wide impedence swings so they perform best with stout amps. To my ears, however, RF-7s sound the best with stout push-pull tube amps.

As far as Cornwalls and RF-7s go, I would not mix them in the same room, no matter which series of Cornwalls you are talking about. RF-7s run titanium drivers, which sound quite unlike the driver materials used in Heritage speakers, such as Cornwalls. When I first began upgrading from Reference to Heritage, I tried RF-7s in the same room with Belles and Cornwalls, and the RF-7s stood out like a sore thumb. Don't get me wrong, I also love the sound of RF-7s - they just sound very different from Heritage.

As for Klipschorns, they actually do not take up much space at all - they just disappear into the corners.

Carl.

If you go with Cornwalls, the III's are a huge step up from the II's. And both in my opinion leave the RF-7 in the dust...better mids, punchier bass, and about equal top end (the RF-7's have a little more sparkle on top). The newer Cornwall III's are slightly less boomy and just smoother overall than the II's.

As far as Carver amplifiers...some of them are real dogs, and some are rather nice amplifiers. I haven't been around enough to know which models are good or bad, so I just tend to avoid them altogether.

If you plan on mixing and matching for any kind of multichannel setup, then by all means stay with identical speakers (more RF-7's), or at the very least stay within the same lineup (Reference). Timbre matching is very important when running multiple speakers at once.

Welcome to the forum.

Hello Speedball, How about the rf-7s and KLH-30's would they play nice together ? Specs wise ? I want another pair to play with the 7's just not sure I want a second pair of 7's !

Regards,

Wiz

Work on amp and source hardware. 2 sets of mains would only be necessary to fill an airplane hangar.

Have DEANG mods put into the networks of the RF-7 and enjoy those speakers for a while.

Well dang nab it or was it gosh darn, what in the heck is a DEANG whatcha a gizzard ! got to love you guys I feel like I am playing my first transistor radio !!! Got some Bose 901's for sale anyone want them for boat anchors ?

Now where do I get some DEANG'S ? Hope you buy them cause I know nothing ! And I am sure I do not know what to do with them when I get them. Teach me Klipsch guy's.

Wizard

I have the Sunfire 200x7 amp for my HT..

With La Scala's they ROCK!

Probably like any amp line, some are better than others. Bob Carver's philosophy and his technology powering your speakers will work great with RF7-s. They will not freak out on Impedance switching on your RF 7's, and you should have a great bottom end with your Klipsch speakers.

You have the amp, try it. So let us know what you think? I suggest your pre amp will make a bigger difference to your sound than your amp.

Hello Indy,

Fired up the rf-7's only 1 pair so far, Incredible compared to my 901's. I am not sure of the break in period everyone talks about. Is it 100 hours at low volume ? I pushed them a little and one thing I noticed was one of horns had on occasion a metal hiss or hiss or scratchy noise from it. Not sure if was the cd I was playing or ? Have not played them so loud to do any damage ! Another thing I noticed was I really like bass at low volume so I would like to ask if it is possible to obtain more bass with cahnging the pre-amp, or the cross overs with deang's, or anything else ? Do not get me wrong my carver power amp (350 rms a channel) and pre-amp never sounded so good. These rf-7's kick *** and my whole family is very impressed. But I know with all the experience in this forum that I can probably make them sound even better the ( rf-7s). I am not a HT person and I have been told I can hook up a sub if needed. Even IF I could not sure how, should it have its own built in amp, so on. I really do not want one I just want more punch at lower volume. I also noted that my pre-amp controls are scratchy. When I turn the control bass and treble knobs when no music playing you can hear that a little thru the 7's. Any recomendations on pre-amps ? The power amp works very well with the 7's. I am still confused how to wire the other 2 rf-7s. Per my manual from carver it says to run from the same 2 out put posts from the amp with additional wires. I have been told that this will run the 4 rf-7s down to 2 ohms and maybe a bad thing. The amp says it drives from 2 to 32 ohm loads. I am getting lost in some of this ! I am not an electronics person.

The bass at higher level was impressive to say the least, I am now trying to figure out if my amp from everything I read will be more powerful in driving 4 of these. The specs say 350 rms at 8 ohms, 600 or more at 4 ohms and if I am at 2 ohms what is doing then ?

Sorry I am writing a book, I never heard such incredible sound ! My wife of 27 years wears hearing aids. She can even notice how incredible the sound is. Money well invested If I could spend a million dollars I would to help her hear. I think Klipsch just gave her that. Any advise would be appreciated very much so. I feel like a kid in the candy store. All I can say is wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Merry Christmas !

Best Regards,

Wizard