Recomendation for interconnects.

@silverfox@

Recently got some lutron keypad signal&audio cable from work, and replaced the #10 SO cord beign used to speaker

and
was plesantly suprised by the marked difference this cable
made,the SO cord has been in system approx 1year and sounded
quite good.

I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE MY INTERCONNECTS from
RS, making new ones from this same cable , it is a 16 awg 4
conductor with 2 sheilded

within an outerjacket looking
for plugs that can be soldered so conductors can be paralleled if
possible,really would like to see if this makes any

further improvement, been slowly and gradually progressing over time small changes with nice results.

your suggestions will be much appreciated thanks.

silverfox

was looking at about 18'' just enough between amp &pre

I think you should go for the standard 1 meter (36"-39"). Making leads shorter has no benefit, and seriously limits how you can place your equipment and move it around later on. Besides, you'd be very surprised how quickly arranging cords and wires behind your equipment uses up a meter.

Besides, it all gets coiled up back there and doesn't need to look beautiful.

lc

"I think you should go for the standard 1 meter (36"-39"). Making leads shorter has no benefit, and seriously limits how you can place your equipment and move it around later on"

Only benefit is cost. I.E. silver coated wires. A 1 meter lenth ran me about 130 bucks in 1986 and a half meter lenth ran about 90 bucks. I bought 6 sets of the half meter and 4 sets of the 1 meter. Saved some money on the inter-connects that were going to be used for adjacent componets.

Mark,

Well electrically I guess that would be no harm done. But wouldn't you say that Sonically speaking it could have a pretty large effect depending on the cable? I mean some of these cable I have measured have up the 50pF or more per foot not to mention the other specs.So if one cable is 3" and had 150pF and the other cable is 6' and has 300pF I"d say it could have some Sonic changes channel to channel. I mean I would avoid it as a standard practice.

Craig

Craig - if that's the case....  and using a 3 ft. on one amp and a 6 ft. on another have different technical numbers..... what would that translate to in real life?   What does that mean in lay terms?   Would the amp on the 3 ft. cable have more ooomph than the 6 ft?   Or is it beyond mere power, etc?   What do you mean by possible "sonic changes"?      

I'm in a bit of a bind with this cuz I have a big TV with a cornwall on it's side under it with VRD mono's on each side of the TV and my Peach preamp on one side.   I have to span over that cornwall to plug in the one VRD.    I scored 2-pairs Audioquest Ruby (3 ft) and 2-pairs Audioquest Turquoise (5-6 ft) and was going to try them out today.   I guess in my current setup, I'd have to use a pair of the thinner, cheaper, longer Turquoise for the amps.  Would rather use the Ruby.   It just looks so darned cool having the VRDs flanking the TV on the top of my DIY rack.   Would kinda suck to have to skew this symmetry, but I'd do it if it's important.   

(I hope my questions are pertinent/helpful and not hijacking the thread - please let me know if I need to shut up.  At least I bumped it!)

silverfox, I've been thinking about this since last night. I don't know if it is a good idea to use that heavy wire for interconnects. I would worry about the capacitance and inductive losses in such a cable. I feel it would be far better to obtain some high quality two wire, shielded, low level 22ga microphone cable or, alternatively, good coax with a multistrand center conductor. Either of these would be less inclined to roll off the highs IMO.

Rick

Craig - if that's the case.... and using a 3 ft. on one amp and a 6 ft. on another have different technical numbers..... what would that translate to in real life? What does that mean in lay terms? Would the amp on the 3 ft. cable have more ooomph than the 6 ft? Or is it beyond mere power, etc? What do you mean by possible "sonic changes"?

I'm in a bit of a bind with this cuz I have a big TV with a cornwall on it's side under it with VRD mono's on each side of the TV and my Peach preamp on one side. I have to span over that cornwall to plug in the one VRD. I scored 2-pairs Audioquest Ruby (3 ft) and 2-pairs Audioquest Turquoise (5-6 ft) and was going to try them out today. I guess in my current setup, I'd have to use a pair of the thinner, cheaper, longer Turquoise for the amps. Would rather use the Ruby. It just looks so darned cool having the VRDs flanking the TV on the top of my DIY rack. Would kinda suck to have to skew this symmetry, but I'd do it if it's important.

(I hope my questions are pertinent/helpful and not hijacking the thread - please let me know if I need to shut up. At least I bumped it!)

To give you an absolute answer I would have to measure the cables in question with test equipment or have the factory specs per foot on them. Again were headed into no absolutes land. You may hear no difference or you may hear a slightly more flabby bass and possible HF roll off in one channel. Since they are of a different series you could end up with the perfect match I have no way to know. To many variables to give you an honest exact answer. I know your going to just hate this answer [;)]

Craig

I'm doing the same thing, and don't notice any difference resulting from the different lengths (just a few feet). I use literally Radio Shack's cheapest -- with the white or red plastic jacks. I've taken these cables apart, and they are actually built pretty well -- what looks to be PE rather than PVC center conductor insulation and reasonably good all copper braided shield.

Since I'm now using one the Teacs with my 6SN7 preamp, I'm driving my side channels with Moondog monoblocks, flanking the TV as you are with VRDs. I don't detect any difference at all. Moondogs directly underneath our DSP picks of RF, so I had to move them away and to the sides, which I agree looks kind of cool.

Erik

I have a pair of custom made interconnects assembled by our very own Erik Mandaville, using 10' length Dayton Professional MSC-1 signal cables made up of two 22 AWG OFC conductors (92% coverage bare copper braid shielding), and terminated with Neutrik NYS352G heavy-duty machined brass, nickel plated RCA connectors with gold plated contacts. They're used between my stereo amplifier and preamp to both my Dayton Audio subwoofers, and to my ears they're as good sonically as the 1 meter pair of Cardas Quadlink-Five C interconnects they replaced...no lie!

post-11084-13819317785512_thumb.jpg

Is there validity to having directional interconnects that have little arrows on them? Is there any value in that or has anyone noticed a difference? I don't get the point. (and I'm curious as to which way they should point? Arrow TO the amp - right?)

I believe it has to do with which RCA end is shielded. The arrow does matter, it should be going FROM the source TO the amplification system.

Is there validity to having directional interconnects that have little arrows on them? Is there any value in that or has anyone noticed a difference? I don't get the point. (and I'm curious as to which way they should point? Arrow TO the amp - right?)

Oh yea!! If you install them backwards the sound will come out of your preamp. If you do this with just the right cable the preamp producing the sound will way out perform your speakers.