record player question

scottyg

"I have a direct drive technics turntable with a stanton cartridge.  It still works great and I purchased it new in 1976.  I believe they are still around for a fair price.  I dont know if stanton even is making cartridge's anymore or not. "

fyi, A lot of the stanton and pickering cartridges were actually the same product.  It's not clear who really produced these.

Maybe it was just MY Technics! I had an SL1800 that I bought new in 1976. When I got back into vinyl after a 10 year break, I tried many different carts but couldn't get it to sound good in either of my systems. I also listened to a 1700 that an old friend loaned me. Same thing.

I then bought a VPI HW19 Jr.?? and after that a $100 Thorens TD165. Both of those just blew away the Technics. It wasn't even close and it doesn't take much to make my Cornwalls/299b system sound good.

I eventually settled on a Basis in my Khorn system for considerably more $$$ compared to the Technics. Best audio purchase I've ever made.

I'm happy those of you with Technics DD tables are happy with the sound. They must sound better than mine did! I apologize if I offended anyone. Wasn't my intention. I was just trying to give advice based on my experience.

No offense taken. I haven't been exposed to (or spoiled by) any really high-end tables, so what do I know? My Technics sounds better than most CDs, makes me happy and impresses my friends. Works for me. As a former mechanic and millwright, a turntable that some DJs have nicknamed "the wheel of steel" for its reliability appeals to me, as well as the sound.

Does anyone suggest or recommend an upgraded arm for the Technics? Something I may look into down the road.

Glad you enjoy your Basis 'table. They have a good rep.

• 2 weeks later...

It is not clear to me if Scott has an established record collection, or if he is planning on starting out to purchasing records. Having thousands of lps that I purchased over the years, I will always have my phono front end. I listen to them, and enjoy them. Many times I am blown away by how good they sound. Turntables are very finicky in set up, location, to the room/speakers(feedback and footfalls), so careful isolation is a big part in the success of vinyl playback. Also, a lot of used records are very poor, vinyl worn and dirty/scratchy). I do not like the cheaper turntables. If I use a cheap Grado on my table/arm, it will out perform, musically, an expensive cartridge on a cheaper table. This is all from experience, thus my opinion. Just be careful and take your time. Records can sound very good(if you like the music). I know too many people who listen to recordings of many sources, who listen to these recordings because they "image" well or have a "low noise" level, but always fail to "get into" the music and experience the musicians performance. A good system/setup/recording should do this for the listener. I enjoy many cds and dvds as well as fm broadcasts and digital radio,as well as vinyl. The music, of course is what counts. I know a lot of forum members agree with my thoughts.

Committing the time to find good records is important. High quality classical is always easier to find than rock.

If you are away from a store to even see a turntable; the Needle Doctor is a mail order company from before the internet I believe. They seem to have very good customer satisfaction.

Stereophile Recommended Component, Music Hall MMF-2: $299 $$$ with
tonearm/cartridge, October 2001, Vol.24 No.10, Page 74, Michael Fremer

The
MMF-2 is a great way to step into analog on a budget, claimed MF (no
relation). The table features a flat-belt/crowned-pulley drive, which
some think is the best way to go for lowest wow and flutter. It comes
with a VTA-adjustable arm and a Goldring Elan cartridge, which provide
a warm, midrange-rich sound, he said, adding that the MMF offers
serviceable performance, is ridiculously inexpensive, and (is) the
first step to a satisfying life of analog bliss. Current version has
black veneered finish. (Vol.21 No.10)

http://www.needledoctor.com/Music-Hall-Turntable-MMF-2-1?sc=2&category=46

A used MMF-5 would be better for about the same money.

Any of the $ 80-150 carts on this web link would be a good way to start. At this price point there are trade offs but read the reviews and take a stab. Grado Silver or Ortofon OM-20, Shure M97XE to me have pretty good market acceptance.

=======================

If I ever get $ 3000 to drop into my lap unexpectedly I would like to do a JA Michel upgrade since my used one I have had the past 3 years has been a great performer. And with 3 cone points it is really easy to level if you take it on a road trip.

JA Michell Turntable: Gyro SE w/ Rega RB300

Gyro SE - Spider Edition
Take the classic Michell
GyroDec. Eliminate from it the large amounts of luxurious perspex,
which do not directly contribute to sound quality. Pass on 60% of these
savings to the customer. Use the remainder for implementing a few
strategic improvements to the rudimentary turntable that remains. And
see, there's the Michell Gyro SE: a smaller and cheaper package that
still offers all of the GyroDec's classy sound, even bettering older
GyroDecs up to MkIII versions (when used with the optional clamp). A
Gyro SE can always be upgraded to a GyroDec by purchasing a plinth and
dustcover.

Features:

Spider chassis, suspended stable subchassis (pendulum)
25 mm thick 4.5 kg massive black acrylic/vinyl platter of high inertia, with gold-plated brass weights
Inverted bearing
Custom armboards available for any tonearm
Manual speed change
High-quality DC motor
Stand-alone motor housing
Optional record clamp
Optional VC power supply
Optional Orbe-style platter and clamp system and/or subchassis damping
Many optional upgrades, can be made into a full GyroDec
Finished in silver
Dimensions: 49 x 37 cm

Stereophile Recomended Component Vol. 23 No. 10
"'I've
always found spring suspended turntables sound more plush than
non-suspended rigs, and the Michell didn't disappoint,' averred MF.
This 'table sounded slightly warm, but bass extension and control were
'very good,' he reported, 'with just a slight midbass bloom that never
obscured fundamentals or transients' and a 'fine sense of rythm and
pacing.' Luscious, airy mids, good image focus and soundstaging. 'Very
accomplished and, more imporant, well balanced with no serious sonic
blemishes.'" Reviewed in Issue Vol. 23, No.s 7 & 10

http://www.needledoctor.com/JA-Michell-Turntable-Gyro-SE-w-Rega-RB300?sc=2&category=349

I'm going back to my Technics direct drive semi-automatic. SL1700

This Thorens jumps all over the place, even properly set up. I guess my wooden floors are just too bouncy.

Michael, can you install a wall mount? I went to a Target wall mount because of jouncy floors in my old house, and it worked like a charm. Especially if you can put it on an outside wall, it might be a very good bet to solve the bounce problem.

It would be a shame not to benefit from all the time & $ investment in the Thorens.

Target Wall Bracket-for Turntable [large view]

http://www.needledoctor.com/Target-Wall-Shelf -- $149

Larry

One problem I encountered with my trusty old Technics was the rumble. Now that my speaker system has significantly upgraded, it's horrific. But at least it doesn't skip all over the place like this old Thorens. No, I still haven't gotten this thing working correctly yet. I have it level, followed the setup instructions, the suspension is just awful. The Technics is going back in it's place despite the rumble.

So I guess there will be a TD125II for sale soon.

Larry, I really don't want to put bolts into my nice paneling, and there is not room for it either. I have a substantially massive Bell-O rack that sits right next to the wall, but nearly any footfalls in the room cause the stylus to bounce all over the place. It's going..... despite Scott's good work on it. Even when I sit dead silent, I can't tell that much difference. Besides, I really really really like having the semi-automatic feature which the 125 lacks. Just a bad purchase decision on my part- no blame to anyone.

One problem I encountered with my trusty old Technics was the rumble. Now that my speaker system has significantly upgraded, it's horrific. But at least it doesn't skip all over the place like this old Thorens. No, I still haven't gotten this thing working correctly yet. I have it level, followed the setup instructions, the suspension is just awful. The Technics is going back in it's place despite the rumble.

So I guess there will be a TD125II for sale soon.

Larry, I really don't want to put bolts into my nice paneling, and there is not room for it either. I have a substantially massive Bell-O rack that sits right next to the wall, but nearly any footfalls in the room cause the stylus to bounce all over the place. It's going..... despite Scott's good work on it. Even when I sit dead silent, I can't tell that much difference. Besides, I really really really like having the semi-automatic feature which the 125 lacks. Just a bad purchase decision on my part- no blame to anyone.

Too bad it didn't work out for ya Mike. Sure gave it a heck of a go. You do have a pretty big foot though.[;)] It will make a nice turntable for someone with the right set up.

Michael, what cartridge/stylus are you using with the tecnics? I agree that semi auto is way more convenient. I don't know much about the thorens but am curious enough to ask for photos and info from you. I get a bit of rumble from my sl-d2, but so far not enough to upset me, and it is not noticeable most of the time. I am using an audio technica at11e with an upgrade shibata stylus from the at12s. I did notice improvement with the stylus upgrade.

I also forgot to mention that my TT is on aftermarket leveling feet, not the factory ones, which might be making some sort of difference.