Will a New Receiver Make a Difference?

chitown2477

Hello all,
I currently have a Yamaha HTR-5740 a/v receiver with 6.1 Channels (75W each) for my home surround system. It is a good receiver with standard decoders; originally was part of a HTIB. I am looking to upgrade to the Yamaha RX-V1600 a/v receiver with 7.1 Channels (120W each) and plenty more options like HDMI switching, THX Select2, YPAO sound optimization, and more optical inputs.

My main reason for upgrading is I now have significantly better speakers as shown below and feel the 5740 is not strong enough to bring out the full sound and detail the speakers are capable of delivering. I would think this is a signficant upgrade in a/v processing capacity. Every salesperson I talk to agrees - but I want somewhat more objective opinions. My questions are:

Will the RX-V1600 upgrade deliver an appreciable difference in sound and detail?
At 120 watts per channel, will it be too much power for the surrounds rated at 75 watts RMS?
If I use the HDMI switching to connect my DirecTv HD satellite receiver, will I always have to have the RX-V1600 to simply watch TV?

Whatever feedback you can provide would be great.

Chitown2477

EXISTING SPEAKERS
Klipsch RF-52 Floorstanding Loudspeaker, 100W RMS / 400W Peak, 96dB
Klipsch RS-42 Surround Speaker, 75W RMS / 300W Peak, 93dB
Klipsch RC-52 Center Channel, 125W RMS / 500W Peak, 96dB
Definitive Technology Pro Sub 60, 150W RMS

" At 120 watts per channel, will it be too much power for the surrounds rated at 75 watts RMS?"

They only heads up I can offer you is to double check the impedance matching of yor speakers and amps. I once blew out a center channel on a 120X5 reciever becuase the reciever was designed to operate with an impedance load of 4 - 16 ohms, but 8 ohm by default, and i put some surround speakers on they that claimed to be 8 ohms, but actually were 4 ohms. If I had known, there was a selector switch in the setup for 4 ohms that I could have enabled. Ths would have protected the amp.

I'll try to answer your questions. I have the same fronts and center, as well as the RX-V1600. I purchased the Yamaha after buying the speakers. It replaced an older Sony (the model number escapes me at the moment). At low volumes there was not a MAJOR improvement, but as volume increased the 1600 was very noticably cleaner and less "harsh" sounding. I wouldn't worry about over driving the RS-42's, too much. You will be driving them without the amp clipping and the likelyhood of listening to them at 111DB is probably slim. (111DB being roughly what the RS-42's output at 75 watts)

I'm sorry I don't have first hand experience with the satellite question, but my guess is that you would need to have the receiver on to watch TV.

I'm not sure about the satellite issue either, but your Yamaha should have a learning remote that will let you control the TV. With my system, the music is on most of the day, and when it's time to watch TV, I just hit the TV power button on the Yamaha's remote and switch the input to DTV. I almost never listen to the TV speakers anymore.

Here we go!!!....Upgrades! I think you will notice a difference. The only thing I might reccomend is saving some more money and get the next step up, or the next....you will anyway sooner than you think!

In real worl watts with all channels driven, I would say you 75 WPC is actually giving you 50 WPC and the 120 WPC will give you maybe 100 WPC. Just a guess, I don't know the real numbers.

You will notice a difference between those 2 receivers. There is more at work there then just the amp section. You will be getting better processor power as well. And a better overall build. As far as the extra power goes, most speakers are blown from too LITTLE power resulting in clipping. As long as your levels are set correctly and you don't run it full volume you will be fine.

I own a Yamaha RX-V1600. It will make your speakers sing. I love the receiver. As for the satellite, I don't know either but I will tell you that you will want the sound going through your receiver. I have a Samsung 42 inch Plasma screen HDTV and by running it through the receiver, the sound is so much clearer that I don't have any desire to listen to the TV with its own speakers.