I was given some Belle's

Izerous

Not too long ago i was given an older home stereo that included a set of Belle speakers. Looking through the site I was able to find most of what I was looking for I still have 2 questions.

1. Not that I will ever get rid of these because they are simply beautiful speakers both audibly and visually but what was the approximate retail for these speakers, preferably in the late 1980 which was around when they were originally purchased also just before they were discontinued?

2. I have chosen a replacement receiver the only other thing I wish to replace is the rear speakers. The ones that were used with them were some ancient JVC speakers that don't really compliment these speakers especially visually. While I have seen a few I would consider I have yet to really see a set to make me say "yeah those are the ones that feel right" . For people using these speakers any have a suggestion for speakers I could look at.

Congratulations on the Belle's. Ideally another set of Belle's would be the best. Other than that Cornwall's, LaScala's or Heresy's would work very well for the rear. As far as the amp is concerned "Mcintosh". I did pick up a HK 430 and at 25 watts per channel it is outstanding. About 50% on the volume dial is all I can stand.

Can you tell us the serial numbers that are on the data tags or stamped into the back of the speaker's. Please send some pictures of these beauties. Bill

Congratulations on the Belle's. Ideally another set of Belle's would be the best. Other than that Cornwall's, LaScala's or Heresy's would work very well for the rear.

Belles for the rear speakers work fantastic , they also have an advantage over LaScalas . Less depth = easier placement , not to mention they look pretty good . While I'm on the subject , I think that they are the hands down , best choice for the center speaker in a Heritage based system

I'd love to send pictures however long story short they were given to me when i lived in New Brunswick and I moved back to Alberta not to long ago, needless to say the speakers wouldn't fit in a car's backseat. I'm planning a trip as soon as possible so I can to go back out there and get them since I won't have them shipped and I could use the trip. After having used them over there and now having to rely on computer's speakers for the time being it definitely feels like something is missing.

I was actually looking for new rear channels before I moved I had just run out of time, thats why I was curious what others were using. The components have pretty much seen the end of their life and thats why it was given to me.

My plan in the end will be to only technically replace the receiver and the rear speakers. It will take me quite a while to find the parts I will need but I plan on gutting the other components and hiding a computer in them, essentially making a media server, and using something like a creative X-Fi to output to the receiver.

I'm guessing you want to go smaller for the rears? If so, you'll want to use a pair of Klipsch Heresys. You have to stick with the Klipsch Heritage series to get a good timber match and the Heresys are the smallest. You can probably find a nice pair on the used market that match the finish on your Belles for under $500 unless the Belles have an exotic veneer. If size isn't an issue, of course another pair of Belles would be best.

Remember, the most important speaker in a HT is the center so be sure to find a good match up front for the Belles. Some use a single Heresy but if you can go big, that's the place to do it!

Congrats and good luck!

Congratulations on the Belle's. Ideally another set of Belle's would be the best. Other than that Cornwall's, LaScala's or Heresy's would work very well for the rear.

Belles for the rear speakers work fantastic , they also have an advantage over LaScalas . Less depth = easier placement , not to mention they look pretty good . While I'm on the subject , I think that they are the hands down , best choice for the center speaker in a Heritage based system

Agreed. Belles make great rear speakers and the best Heritage center, especially due to the size of the Belle top (supports TVs nicely and overall the Belle is shorter than the LaScala).

Go for five Belles or even two Klipschorns and three Belles [*-)][;)]

Carl.

You know , out of everyone thats seen my setup only my little sister thinks my tv is too high . I love where it is but have contemplated floating the top , since it is detachable , over the tv . By doing so the tv would be lowered by about "10 .

As far as rear speakers go , you can get by using Hereseys . But it makes a world of differance when you stick another pair of Belles back there !!!

Realise that I have 5 Belles in a 16 x 22 foot room . Out of all the upgrades I could do , putting them in a larger room would be the best . And I am working on that !

post-18289-1381931828116_thumb.jpg

Sunburnwilly

My tv sits on top of my rack, probably 6" higher than yours. I think it's optimum.

I would second/third that ... The Belle makes an outstanding center. I found mine as a single for $650 in the Philly area. It was a little rough but $25 of grill cloth and some BLO cleaned it up beautifully. I added ALK's on the Belle and the two Klipschorns as well (Greg's rosewood Khorns in Maine) and the result is little short of staggering.

I have Heresies in the rear and have considered moving my Cornwalls down from the apartment, but the Heresies do just great and they're less instrusive. Ideally they need to be near ear-level but I just added a little boost to them and they're fine. So for rears, I'd say Heresies would be a good interim move.

Chris

post-4827-1381931828256_thumb.jpg

Chris

Did you ever try yours above the fireplace? I'm contemplating above mine, which is on wall center, right smack dab in my way.

JT

JT, good question, but I haven't ... I've had two houses and both fireplaces were either off-center or on an inconsequential wall.

If your fireplace is in the center of the room, I'd definitely hang it up there. My Panny has no speakers so it is just a clean, dark rectangle and it would be pretty easy. I think the height would be fine too. If you have a HTPC, you could also run aquarium scenes up there, or whatever wallpaper your heart desires ...Family photos, etc.

I estimate a lot of houses in my business and I see that setup quite often. It works very, very well.

Chris