When Hobby turns to Business and Xmas Break

NOSValves

That PS tranny looks like the one Ned sells as a replacement for the Dynaco (please note that I am not saying you are making a Dynaco clone of any kind). I put one of those things in my ST 70 when I rebuilt it. Almost doubled the weight of the amp. [;)]

Bruce

Well yes it happens to be the same width and depth but it's about 2" taller then the Dynaco or any of the Dyna Clones and use M6 core material so it runs cool and has completely different specs on every single winding. For one you could never run dual rectifiers on the stock Dynaco spec'd transformer and expect longevity. Place this baby in the ST70 without serious changes to the power supply and you will soon be toasting things left and right! Mine cost a good percentage over double what the Dyna-clones cost at retail and I buy wholesale direct.

Good old Ned and the new Dynaco guy (can't remember his name) purchase by price to meet a profit margin and sale price. I know because I talked to both at different times and discussed combining orders to get the quantities up for better pricing. But neither of them were willing to pay the cost for ultimate quality with the upgrades I wanted employed in my Iron. Mind you I'm not putting them down or what they do! But they are targeting a completely different market then I do so they have to meet a price point. I could careless about servicing the DIY market to many headaches and to many short cuts to fit a price point for me.

Craig

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How insensitive and uneducated of me to even think they are even close to the same. Of course they are different. They would have to be for this setup. I think I'll just go listen to some music and enjoy the day.

How insensitive and uneducated of me to even think they are even close to the same. Of course they are different. They would have to be for this setup. I think I'll just go listen to some music and enjoy the day.

That didn't take long! First misunderstanding and offense taken just 11 hours and 24 minutes into the new year.

Geezzz Marvel what did I do? I was simply stating the differences so nothing was misunderstood by the masses. I wasn't upset with you in anyway. If I offended you sorry!

Happy New Year

Craig

What? Me offended. No, not me. I know the topology is different. Having two of the rectifiers would mean a different tranny all by itself. It was just the LOOK of the tranny that reminded me of Ned's. I have his extra large replacement model on my ST70. It is substantially taller than the stock Dynaco replacement. It weighs over ten pounds. Yours must weigh quite a bit more than that.

I wonder if I could even lift that new amp of yours. It looks cool Craig. I like the turret boards as well. Very neat. Hope you have a great year, and I really mean that.

Bruce

Bruce,

Actually I may be bit to worried about offending someone lately ;) Glad all is well with us!

I'll be posting finals on the amp soon. First have to make sure no smoke rises LOL!! This took way longer then anticipated grrrrrr But heck so did the VRD's at first.

Happy New Year

Craig

Nice! Looks like a KT66 perhaps(?)...is that pack of Marlboro Reds there for scale only?[8-)]

That's for the burn-in.

Is this perhaps the first humorous post by fini for the new year?[:P]

Looking forward to this amplifier being completed...think it's already on my wish list (along with extra cash to buy the darn thing)!

Nice! Looks like a KT66 perhaps(?)...is that pack of Marlboro Reds there for scale only?[8-)]

That's for the burn-in.

Is this perhaps the first humorous post by fini for the new year?[:P]

Looking forward to this amplifier being completed...think it's already on my wish list (along with extra cash to buy the darn thing)!

I think that is for the smoke test.

Well 24 hours later then planned but she is done. Much to my delight I had to change one resistor value in the power supply to fine tune the voltage for the front end other then that it worked perfect righ out of the gate. Not smoke shows !! Man an I tired though...

Final wiring

post-7461-138193183786_thumb.jpg