Budget integrated or pre/amp w/ phono recommendations

synthfreek

I've been helping my friend this past year build a decent little system. First thing we did was find a local guy with a mint pair of KG 3.5 speakers in their boxes for $100. I sold him a boxed KSC-C1 center channel and a nice pair of Cerwin Vega E708's to use as surrounds for $100 total. I also had an old Cerwin Vega LW-12 sub that I've let him "permanently" borrow. We also chose an entry-level Pioneer receiver to power everything. I think it was $150 but it had all the essentials he needed. Not a bad little setup for $350.

A few weeks ago he bought a brand new Rega P1 turntable and a little $49 BBE phono preamp. The place where we purchased the Rega from had it running through a Rega Brio 3 integrated and we both thought it sounded superb but they WERE feeding a $5000 pair of speakers. Before he settles on the Brio I thought I'd suggest more options but I'm not having too much luck. He has set a $600 budget and most of the other integrateds at that price do not include a phono input. He also loves my tube setup but I'd need for that route to be a hassle-free. If anyone can suggest a non-vintage integrated with phono or a pre/amp combo with at least the pre being tube I'd love to hear. I was thinking about splitting the $600 right down the middle for a pre/amp combo. Is that about the right ratio? Some other combos I was thinking about was the Bellari phono preamp with a Cambridge Audio SS integrated. That would be about the same price as the Brio and at least the turntable would see tubes.

One more thing...he ultimately would like to move up the Heresy model in a year or so but wants to ditch his receiver by next month.

Josh here on the forum has 2 vintage Scott's to choose from that I completely rebuilt and would be about as hassle free has you could ask for out of vintage. I will extend full warranty rights in this instance. They both have at least a year left on parts and labor with full phone support. When Josh has me do work on his gear he holds nothing back so both pieces would be great options. I would suggest with the KG-4 you take the higher powered route with his 7591 based amp. He is only offering one for sale because he has more gear then he can use. I believe he asking right in your price range and trust me he has more then that in them. If you want the invoice for the work completely shoot me an email.

Just a thought.

Craig

I'd go with a vintage NAD 3020A. Won't cost you more than $100-150, has a great phono section and will KILL anything made today and costing up to $500-600.

I have one of these in a second system and it's just plain great.

There's one on ebay ending pretty soon http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-NAD-3020A-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier-3020-NR_W0QQitemZ260069633936QQihZ016QQcategoryZ73369QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks guys but he really does not want to go vintage. I don't mind buying a piece with 11-14 tubes but come on...this guy's a tube newbie. It's WAY too daunting for him. How about this question? Would you get THIS Bellari tube phono preamp with THIS Cambridge integrated for the same price as THIS Rega integrated with built-in phono input?

Thanks guys but he really does not want to go vintage. I don't mind buying a piece with 11-14 tubes but come on...this guy's a tube newbie. It's WAY too daunting for him. How about this question? Would you get THIS Bellari tube phono preamp with THIS Cambridge integrated for the same price as THIS Rega integrated with built-in phono input?

I simply do not understand your point of view here. These amps suggested are guaranteed to work and should be zero hassle. He is offered 100% hand holding phone service if need be. What is so daunting about an amp that has already had all the ? removed..... It's rebuilt and if there has been one person on this forum dive into tubes this way then there has been 500 and most of them were happy too some extent. Most ended up moving on to separate tube rigs and many of those kept the little integrated for a second system. The ones that did sell the vintage units lost very little and many were able to listen for a year or two for free after resale. This is an easy safe avenue to take if a guy wants to give tubes a whirl.

Are they the last word in sound quality? Absolutely not but what is for $600 today... Would it be the one of the best values in sound quality for $600? Absolutely! Will he be guaranteed to love it ....nope but what piece is guaranteed to satisfy all ears.... but many have traveled this road with success so the chances are pretty good.

Craig