sputnik

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I think I would like to be an honourary dtel one day [:)]

Jay, you already are an honorary dtel.

You made honorary dtel when I saw the look on Ms. Barbara's face, in Hope, when we told her thank you for you!

For those of you that don't know this...Barbara Miller inspected Jay's speakers and Dr. Who and I had the pleasure of telling her thank you for Jay when we attended the 2006 Pilgramage in Hope, while touring the plant.

Bro. Sputnik, the Porsche is washed and polished waiting for you...................the weather is late spring like, it's raining today, should take the salt off the road.....................You might want to bring your own CD's to play while driving, although I like the sound of the engine winding out myself, it's up to you.....................No really, enjoy yourself where ever you choose to go, be safe, and have fun..................................

Thanks for all of the great suggestions and the kind invitations to visit. We're looking for a trip to a place in the US that is dramatically different from Montana. Right now we're leaning toward either Washington DC or the Charleston/Savannah area. If we went to DC, would it take too long to get to the outer banks or Ocracoke Island for a couple of days? It looks like only a few hours drive by Montana standards. Charleston (Kiawah Island, as Willy suggested) still looks good too though - we have some friends that have been there and loved it.

If you come to D.C., and don't want to do the "usual" touristy things in D.C. itself (although a visit to the zoo and the Smithsonian is definitly worth a day or two), you could make a 45-minute drive south to Fredericksburg. There is a lot of "boutique" type shopping right in historic downtown, as well as several Civil War battlefields to check out. Near Quantico is the new USMC museum that is definitly worth checking out (I still need to go check it out myself). There are several museums and historic sits to visit, such as Kenmore, Apothcary shop, Sun Rise Tavern, and so forth. Here is a website (VisitFred.com) about many of the things to do in Fredericksburg.

Well, my wife finally made up our minds - Washington DC it is. First week in April. We're going to try see some ocean as well. The Outer Banks? Fredricksburg looks interesting too. I'd sure appreciate some suggestions for cool hotels and advice on how to get around. Will it be too early in the year to rent a convertible?

Sput,

While in DC plan on walking and standing up all day long. The walking isn't the bad part it is just being on your feet for hours and hours that kills me. Walking thru the museums and stopping to read this and look at that. We spent three days there about a month ago and only saw three of the 11 Smithsonion museums, the Arcives Building, and Arlington Cemetary. We stayed at the Key Bridge Marriot in Arlington ( http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/WASKB ) It is walking distance to the subway. It costs $1.35 to get to the Mall (the grass area between the capitol and the Washington Monument) very easy access to the Museums.

I have also stayed two blocks fron the White House on Pennselvania Ave. I just can't remember the name of the hotel. It was a Sheraton or Hyatt I think.

If you want PM me your number and I will call you with a few more tips. The outerbanks would be a great trip if you go west over to Maryland and then south across the Bay Bridge Tunnel.

Steve

• Moderators

DC is a nice place to visit, we went for a week and it was fun, went to see the Smithsonian's and all the monuments. Also if they still have tours of the Mint, Capital building and the FBI building it's worth going to see, and don't forget Arlington Cemetery.

We took a tour bus to see the Monuments, because they park right there and give you time to walk around at each one. We seen the rest on foot and subway. There is a lot to see, just watch where you go after dark, there are some clubs, but also areas you don't want to see after dark.

Well, my wife finally made up our minds - Washington DC it is. First week in April. We're going to try see some ocean as well. The Outer Banks? Fredricksburg looks interesting too. I'd sure appreciate some suggestions for cool hotels and advice on how to get around. Will it be too early in the year to rent a convertible?

First week of April - hmm... The weather can be so hit or miss that time of year. I've seen it where it is hotter than Hade's (in some cases, well into the 80's, and other times, when it was friggan SNOWING! Now, the way this winter has been going, I would not be surprised if it does end up being on the warm side by April.

However, for Washington D.C. itself, definitly using the subway and walking to the various places is your best bet. There are tour buses that is definitly worth checking out (me and my parents did that once, and was a neat way to go see everything), and you can always go back and check out something you are more interested in. Whenever I go into D.C., I usually just park at the Fraconian-Springfield stop (closet one to get to from Fredericksburg) and take the subway in.

I don't have any recommendations for a particular hotel, as everytime I've been in D.C. was just for the day (hell, I only live but 45 minutes from it!)

I know you live in Montana, but have you ever been to western Washington or western Oregon?

I spent my childhood years near Seattle and always loved it out in Washington state. I was last there with my wife and step daughter in May 2005. May is *NOT* the time to visit the Pacific Northwest (still the cold and rainy season), but in July and August, its wonderful!

Washington has Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens (if you weren't around when it blew up in 1980, they have a very nice visitor's center that goes into detail to the event) as well as Seattle & Olympia. The San Juan islands are great to visit by ferry. Grand Coulee Dam on the eastern side of the Cascades is a fun place to go.

Oregon has the ocean and Crater Lake. I haven't seen Crater Lake in over 30 years - gotta go back there.

Dave

Diamond Dave...Cool pug...I've got a black one as well!!!

Sputnik...There is a hotel close to the white house called The Madison. It's not a franchise so it has a cetain flair if you will. Other hotels like that abound as well. I have found that the franchise hotels charge as much if not more in the DC area. I'm in the hotel business and I am always looking for something a little different as I live the Franchise Life everyday. At The Madison, for roughly $300 (two nights), we got a very large suite on the top floor with a bidet in the batroom and heated towel racks. It also had a dining room table couch, coffeetable sitting area and a balcony that must have been 30 feet long. This hotel is perhaps 45 years old and very eligant, the food is wonderful, and all in walking distance to the White House.

We took one of thiose tour on the small busses...The name excapes me, but they are in all major cities. The bus goes all around DC and you can get off at any stop, visit, and board the next bus as they run about 15 minutes apart....That can be an entire day if you like....It's like $14 a person....no brainer and no car!!!!

At the Ouuter Banks I would reccomend staying in Duck, NC and the Sanderling Inn. This is the closest point going south and it will be a long trip anyway from DC. From there you can drive 15-30 minutes south and be in Kitty Hawk to see the Wright Brother Museum. Another 45 minutes south and you will be at the Cape Hattaras light house.

Let me know when you go and I may very well be there fishing as the big ones run in April!!! I'll treat you to a meal on your newest, latest, greatest, Diet!!!

Thanks for all of the great suggestions and the kind invitations to visit. We're looking for a trip to a place in the US that is dramatically different from Montana. Right now we're leaning toward either Washington DC or the Charleston/Savannah area. If we went to DC, would it take too long to get to the outer banks or Ocracoke Island for a couple of days? It looks like only a few hours drive by Montana standards. Charleston (Kiawah Island, as Willy suggested) still looks good too though - we have some friends that have been there and loved it.We've done some great trips along the N. Cal - Oregon - Washington coast and I'd recommend that for anyone. Gold Beach, Oregon is my favorite spot along that stretch. Another fantastic trip on the NW coast is to begin in Victoria, BC and take the BC ferry through the inside passage up to Prince Rupert, take another ferry to the Queen Charlotte Islands, return to Pince Rupert and drive back home through Jasper, Banff and Glacier Park (two weeks minimum).

I didn't see this post until I had posted my other ones! [:(]

Obviously you like Washington and Oregon as well.

Anyhow, as others have said, Washington, DC is a good vacation. My father (now deceased), older brother and I did the DC thing about 4 years ago. Glad we did it. (I live in Fredericksburg, same as Steve K.).

I don't recommend Ocracoke unless you like isolation. The town on the island is a small touristy-type town. I suggest you stay on the "mainland" (islands connected by bridges) and stay in towns such as Hatteras or Avon (see my previous post on Avon).

My wife and I just got back from a Florida vacation. We drove all the way down to Key West and back. We liked the west coast of Florida much better than the East coast. We drove all the way down to Key West and back. We didn't like Key West per se, but glad we did the trip.

Diamond Dave...Cool pug...I've got a black one as well!!!

Sputnik...There is a hotel close to the white house called The Madison. It's not a franchise so it has a cetain flair if you will. Other hotels like that abound as well. I have found that the franchise hotels charge as much if not more in the DC area. I'm in the hotel business and I am always looking for something a little different as I live the Franchise Life everyday. At The Madison, for roughly $300 (two nights), we got a very large suite on the top floor with a bidet in the batroom and heated towel racks. It also had a dining room table couch, coffeetable sitting area and a balcony that must have been 30 feet long. This hotel is perhaps 45 years old and very eligant, the food is wonderful, and all in walking distance to the White House.

We took one of thiose tour on the small busses...The name excapes me, but they are in all major cities. The bus goes all around DC and you can get off at any stop, visit, and board the next bus as they run about 15 minutes apart....That can be an entire day if you like....It's like $14 a person....no brainer and no car!!!!

At the Ouuter Banks I would reccomend staying in Duck, NC and the Sanderling Inn. This is the closest point going south and it will be a long trip anyway from DC. From there you can drive 15-30 minutes south and be in Kitty Hawk to see the Wright Brother Museum. Another 45 minutes south and you will be at the Cape Hattaras light house.

Let me know when you go and I may very well be there fishing as the big ones run in April!!! I'll treat you to a meal on your newest, latest, greatest, Diet!!!

Sputnik:

In Washington, DC - we took the subway system (the Metro) and used the Grey Line tour buses, which you can get at Union Station.

If you're staying at a hotel in DC proper, try to get one near a Metro stop. Most of the places you want to see in DC are either near a Metro stop, or you can see on the Grey Line bus tour (I forget the price, but it was worth it). Otherwise you'd have to drive in to DC, and I don't recommend that unless you know your way around here AND its on a weekend or Government holiday.

As for staying in the Outer Banks - there are three or four distinct sections. The north part is Duck/Corolla (fancy houses), the middle part is Kill Devil Hills/Nags Head (lots of tourist shops, most built up area of the OB), and then the southern parts with Waves/Salvo (mostly rural), and Avon/Hatteras/Buxton (more built up, still rustic). This lower side has the lighthouse, as others have mentioned (hard to climb, well worth it).

Do you like to fish? LOTS of great fishing. There are "head boats" that you can go on tours (morning or evening) from Hatteras. There are fishing piers in Avon and Nags Head. If you fish in the ocean, no license is needed! :-)

For staying down there - if you're staying a week, I would suggest renting a beach house (MANY realty companies to choose from). Less than that, there are a few hotels and B&B's down there.

PhilMays - Thanks for the comment on the pug. Not many people know who or what he is. He is just over a year old. That picture was taken while we were at Avon, NC on vacation in May 2006.