Any vacation suggestions?

sputnik

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you guys looking for? If you are looking at a more city environment, I think DC, Charleston, or New Orleans are fine selections. I would throw in Miami and South Beach as well.

If you want a more rustic vacation then I might suggest "The Greenbrier" in WV, or Ocracoke Island just south of Cape Hatteras, or even Manchester, Vermont.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions and the kind invitations to visit. We're looking for a trip to a place in the US that is dramatically different from Montana. Right now we're leaning toward either Washington DC or the Charleston/Savannah area. If we went to DC, would it take too long to get to the outer banks or Ocracoke Island for a couple of days? It looks like only a few hours drive by Montana standards. Charleston (Kiawah Island, as Willy suggested) still looks good too though - we have some friends that have been there and loved it.

Although the invitation to visit dtel country is tempting (I hope to become an honorary dtel-"something" someday), I'd like to save New Orleans and Hope, AR for a grand Mark Twain kind of tour beginning in St Louis and going down to NOLA and Biloxi.

The other suggestions are great and I'd second a few of them that I've been to.

We've done some great trips along the N. Cal - Oregon - Washington coast and I'd recommend that for anyone. Gold Beach, Oregon is my favorite spot along that stretch. Another fantastic trip on the NW coast is to begin in Victoria, BC and take the BC ferry through the inside passage up to Prince Rupert, take another ferry to the Queen Charlotte Islands, return to Pince Rupert and drive back home through Jasper, Banff and Glacier Park (two weeks minimum).

It's been a long time since I've been to the coast of Maine, but I gotta get back there someday.

If anyone ever needs travel tips for a Montana or Yellowstone trip, I'm your guy.

DC to the Northern Outter Banks will be about 4'ish hours, and to Cape Hatteras will be another 1 1/2 hours. Ocrakoke Island is another 45 minute by ferry and is a GREAT island. One island south is Portsmouth Island that you need a private ferry and 4 wheel drive as it is a "roughing it" island. No street, inhabitants, power, water....just 16 miles of beautiful beaches. The US Forest Service owns some cabin on the island that you can rent and they have generator power with running water. I fish that island often and have spent several many weeks on it.

DC is great in April with the Cherry blossoms and all. On the weekends you can get some really great hotel deals on some very nice properties.

Charleston is always a favorite as well. The surrounding islands will keep you busy and Battery Park and the downtown market with Rainbow Row is something to see!

Danville sucks, don't come here....if you do get lost and find you way here you have a place to stay....hopefully you like scotch!

Hold the phone, come on out to Beautiful New York State......................Long lost Brother, although it is awful warm here right now.Unless your into Sking, Snowmobiles, ice fishing, or any winter sport, Summer is a much better time to see New York..............but, anytime you decide, we'll make the best of it ................Hey, there's even a sheep farm down the road.......................

Well OB you got us there......Sput, if you want something a little different, we have lots of pig farms.

Heck, us guys on the weekends would sometimes get a pickup truck and rent a pig....phew, good times!!!

A pickup truck, Boy I thought the back seat was fun............you southern Guys have it all goin' on...........................EH????????

Pigs? They do move around more (or so I'm told) but sheep are soft and fluffy.

Hey OB, who knows, we may be reunited someday. I (we) have a nephew going to school in Ithaca. Isn't that out past Yonkers somewhere? Anyway, a trip to New York is probably in the works but I don't know if I could keep up with you sophisticated big city types. North Country, New York? Is that in the upper East Side? Are you near a subway station?

Pigs? They do move around more (or so I'm told) but sheep are soft and fluffy.

Hey OB, who knows we may be reunited someday. I (we) have a nephew going to school in Ithaca. Isn't that out past Yonkers somewhere? Anyway, a trip to New York is probably in the works. Are you near a subway station?

Oh No, Ithaca is about 4 hours out west from me.......................Yonkers indeed, that's the City, many miles away....................No, I'm not near a subway station, but there is a shearing station down on the sheep farm, if that helps. A nephew in New York State, can you imagine? Enjoy your vacaction where ever you go.......................

• Moderators

Although the invitation to visit dtel country is tempting (I hope to become an honorary dtel-"something" someday), I'd like to save New Orleans and Hope, AR for a grand Mark Twain kind of tour beginning in St Louis and going down to NOLA and Biloxi.

If anyone ever needs travel tips for a Montana or Yellowstone trip, I'm your guy.

The invitation still stands. I think you would be surprised at some of the "non-city" things around New Orleans and it is beautiful in March.

As far as the "Mark Twain" kind of tour you mention, you had better plan a couple of weeks at least.

Sputnik, you and yours do not have to visit to become an "honorary dtel-"something"".[;)]