LG to Sell Dual- Format DVD Player !

Bill H.

LG to Sell Dual-Format DVD Player

email_this_page_sm.gif Email this Story

Jan 3, 11:42 PM (ET)

LOS ANGELES (AP) - LG Electronics said Wednesday it plans to sell a DVD player that will play both warring high-definition DVD formats.

The first dual-format high-def player will play discs in the HD DVD format, which is backed by a consortium headed by Toshiba Corp., as well as the rival Blu-ray format, backed by a group led by Sony Corp. (SNE)

The LG unit will be unveiled at next week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, LG said. Details, including pricing and availability, will become available then, the company said.

The two DVD formats have been battling for market share since being introduced last year. Both are expected to get a boost this year as more studios release films in the formats and more players become available.

But the formats are incompatible, forcing consumers to choose. Studios and electronics makers have said the resulting format war would delay widespread adoption of high-def DVDs, which contain sharper images and extra features not possible with standard definition disc.

LG, based in South Korea, said it expects its dual-format player to "end the confusion and inconvenience of competing high-definition disc formats."

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that LG is EVERYWHERE? A few years ago I had never heard of them, now there into phones, appliances, tv's and flooring just to name a few. Back in July when we remodeled our kitchen, our acrylic countertops were made by LG. I wish I had their stock about 5 years ago.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that LG is EVERYWHERE? A few years ago I had never heard of them, now there into phones, appliances, tv's and flooring just to name a few. Back in July when we remodeled our kitchen, our acrylic countertops were made by LG. I wish I had their stock about 5 years ago.

They're kind of like Hyundai the car company. A while ago nobody gave them a second thought. Today, they're making quality stuff with the top dogs.

Guest srobak

LG is Lucky Goldstar, and is Korean, and yes - they used to be Goldstar - the cheap *** crap you would buy at KMart. They got their heads out of their butts about 6 8 years ago and started getting into quality consumer electronics... and now they have some of the better rated flat panel TVs and other things. My US company makes the motors for many of their products.

Hyundai is a good comparison to LG. Back 10 years ago they were crap. Today... well... just go take an Azera for a ride. You will likely take it home.

We were in Russia 2 years ago. Over there LG is king. Adds all over the place and such.

Had never heard of it.

Now, it is becoming quite popular here. Like Samsung, I think they make good stuff. Gonna give Sony, etc a run for their money.

Of interest, Samsung outsold Sony for the first time this year for most tv's sold workwide...

Paul