How "Right" are these Cornwalls???

revjac

Good Day and thank-you all for being here. It's my first post (although I have "lurked" for some time.)

I've been offered a pair of Cornwalls for a decent price and of course I want them dammit!

I do need a bit of advice and I beg your indulgence and expertise. The owner lives an hour away and has sent me interior pictures and such. However it's only of one speaker.

Serial number is 30X232 which, if I'm not mistaken, should put them in 1982? Model says "CBR"on the factory sticker and there's an "E" marked in the lower left corner.

The tweeter is a square magnet K-77-M - That should be OK from the specs page on the Cornwall I.

The woofer is a square magnet K-33-E - That's in the ballpark.

The issue may be in the Mid horn. It's a K-51-V, round casing and that matches neither the posted specs for either the "I" (K-55-V) or "II" (K-57-V) Cornwall.

Might I ask for speculation on the part(s) of all assorted and sundry afficiandos and experts on the validity of this speaker configuration before I drive all the way out there on Saturday to check 'em out?? My disposable $$$ come not easily so I'd like to be sure of what I'm getting.

Thank you very much.

revjac - desperaudio

I am sure someone will chime in with a more direct answer. My advice is just to listen to them. If they sound good, who cares of it's a K-55 or K-51? You could use a road trip, anyway. You should see what equipment the seller has to demo them with. If none or not too good, I would bring my own or a friends and listen to them that way. If I could not listen, I would not buy.

1982 sounds about right. My oiled oak Cornwall serial #'s start 34Y-----, 1983 I think.

Same tweeter, woofer, and K-51V. (B-3?) network. These Cornwalls still used plywood for enclosures, with IMO, better crossover networks, and a cast midhorn.

By 1985, they were using MDF for enclosures, rather cheap crossover networks and a plastic midhorn. I do like the idea of the drivers mounted flush to the front baffle. They made Cornwalls from 1959, sumthin' like that.

And I would think each generation of Cornwall has it's own sonic character. What would be a "right" Cornwall? The III's? Someone building a vintage system would consider the older Cornwalls "right"?

I'd would geuss they would all sound "right".

The best thing to do is listen to them, and see if you like the sound.

CW's are one of my fave Klipsch speakers, and I own a few of them. $500 is a deal for one's in good condtion- that is workable with some cabinet wear. $600-$750 per pair is more likely for newer models. I have seen a recent purchase for $1200.

Every single seller of CW's has expressed regret. That should say something.

I have owned cornwalls with the k-51 drivers. I made an inquiry about the k 51 and it seems to be a desirable driver and every bit as good as the k 55. I have not seen many cornwalls available in Canada. IMHO being within pick up range adds alot to the value. Not so much costs savings but not having to worry about shipping damage. It would appear to be a great oppertunity for you.

The owner and I have set an appointment for a bit of a listening session and I'll likely take 'em home - as long as they're not all beat to sh*t - which they don't appear to be. The finish is apparently in the raw birch ply so some work with a sander and such can bring them up (or as close as possible) to an acceptable WAF - in any event she loves great music that's well-reproduced and is very supportive of my audiophilia so long as the units aren't too badly chewed.

As for the request on what the "reasonable price" is - modesty forbids me from revealing that figure, suffice it to say it's quite a bit more than the $10 bucks I paid for either the Dynaco St70 or the single Electrohome PA-100 amp or the Rogers LS3/5As but lots less less than the QUAD II monoblocks.

(garage sales have been very good to me.)

I'll report back in once the deal is or isn't done and I've had a chance to assess what the sound is.

Thanks once again - mucho appreciando

Although there's nothing really wrong with the K-51 per se, I wouldn't say that it is the most desirable midrange driver. The availability or possible nonavailability of diaphrams to fit it, the fact that Klipsch used it only for a year or two before switching to the K-55-M, and the fact that they never used it on their flagship Klipschorns that I know of as they did the K-55-V and K-55-M are red flags for me.

You've received good advice so far. Don't worry about the drivers. If you've never heard cornwalls before, be prepared. They are an amazing speaker. There is quite often an initial "WOW" factor that can top even the mighty Khorn.

Also, if you've never seen a pair in real life, they are BIG. Be prepared for some WAF issues. We've all been there but if your significant other appreciates good sound, you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck and be sure to report back.

She's lived with Coral Beta 8 FRs in a rear loaded horn cab and she's lived with a pair of Maggie III-As so she might survive the Cornwalls. She's been "advised" as to the size - whether that's going to sink in before or after she sees them may have to wait until the actual visceral impact of their size confronts her.

It'll certainly be a trifle different than the stand-mounted LS3/5a pair that went into the main rig so that there was room for the "Xmas tree adjustment" in what is usually the the listening space.

I might bring them down here into the basement/shop/office/listening room for a bit first - mostly because I'm down here for 8-10 hours a day and it does make some sense to have them where I can hear/enjoy them all day.Even if the fit might be a touch tighter.

I suppose I should get busy with some searching on optimum set-up distances. There'll be about 2m between centres in the office and that'll increase to almost 3m in the main rig (necessity from the ownership of a rather large screen TV)

We'll see how it goes!!

Revjac,

Just to give you some perspective from a fellow Canuck... I purchased my 82 Cornwalls (K51V driver and B-2 Network) less than a year ago for $750 Cdn from a local high end Hi fi shop ... they had been listed for $1,400 then reduced to $1,000... that's when I jumped on them. My speakers were in very good condition... 8.75 to 9.00 out of 10. Bring lots of your music and put them thru a good demo... Good Luck!!

There is absolutely NO way I can fit them in the main rig upstairs but then, since I'm down here 8-10 hours a day why shouldn't they be down here with me?!?!?

Anyway - the aforementioned "W" was, prior to my actually bringing them home, quite excited. But I don't think she really knew how big they were.

Soooooo - I made her pick a favourite piece of music (Loreena McKennitt as it turned out - excellent choice because of her use of instrumentation). I started the music and then led her into the chair with the promise of keeping her eyes closed so she'd hear before she saw. (this is a good ploy gentlemen)

She was mightily and thoroughly impressed with the sound (she hears better then I and is "musically inclined" - ya know - perfect pitch and all).

She did give up a bit of a start when she asked to see them after three songs.I quite expected that though. They are big.

Now I need to search and peruse the tweaks and upgrades section. I'm sure the first thing I'll do is rotate the bass drivers 180 degrees because I imagine that's never been done and I'll likely dampen them while I'm in there. Then there'll be some bracing across the front baffle. I can already hear that that's needed. Some determination of placement, distances, toe-in or not.....and so on.

I'll have a look at the crossovers down the road a bit and think about the upgrades there. In the interim I'll be nose-first and deep into the Klipsch forums search engines regarding anything "Cornwall"

But boyoboyoboy' - Miles's horn shore do sound purdy this Sunday mornin. As do Kottke's gitar and EmmyLou's voice and Loreena's band and Derek Trucks' band. Life is good to-day.