Cornwall I pair, latest version for sale

EL34

I'm confused. How long have you had them? Some things you write make me assume you bought these new in 85 and have been the only owner (certainty they have never been opened or upgraded). Other things sound like you just got them (inspecting them, the way they are placed and connected, mention of no room for them).

Welcome to the Forum. Lots of CW collectors here...

Bill, Is that your showroom? Very nicely done. Do you have more pics?

Sorry, I already have a pair of Corns.[;)]

I wonder what the voltage rating on that white and blue cap is? PWK didn't "waste" a lot of money on caps as those little black 2uF motor runs show. My guess is that it is another variety of motor run. Modern caps could definately smooth out those Corns and allow more detail through.

One does not want to smooth them out too much though. Other than "elevator music" groups, live music is never bland.

Rick

Hi Guys,

These are new to me, I got them from the original owner and have been doing some research on the details of them and how they compare to others. It is obvious that all the contents are original and the original owner confirms this. He wasn't a tinkerer by any means. I have been enjoying the experience and also communicating with you folks here.

Yes, that is a photo taken from a corner of my showroom. You can see more pics, although somewhat dated at:

http://www.uptownaudio.com/about.htm & http://www.uptownaudio.com/Virtual%20Tour/tour.htm

The photo file sizes are stupid big so they take a while to load if you have a dial up connection. We have completely new inventory and displays since the photos were taken but much of it is still of currently available products.

Yes, we do have a lot of turntables set-up and ready to demo as well as packed and ready to take home! More than most stores in major metropolitan areas. I have been collecting Lp's for 30 years and am the local analog expert so I have brought that experience and enthusiasm with vinyl to the store. I have had most of the classic turntable models at one time or another and also do repairs and modifications to all sorts of equipment whether it is setting-up turntables, updating loudspeakers, repairing hi-fi gear including tube amps, and even restoring old guitar amplifiers and guitars. I struggle with the guitar as far as playing goes and don't have time to practice. I spend all of my time repairing and setting them up which is really how I got started with it in the first place. I do love to get a guitar and amp set-up to get some great tones ripping from them though!

-Bill

Hi Dave,

You are of course welcome to stop by the store. We also have another pair of Klipsch speakers here plus a couple other brands that we have taken in on trade. Lots of new gear as well naturally.

Rick,

I didn't take note of the values and ratings on the caps as I hadn't even given the speakers a serious listen when the photos were taken and I wasn't sure if I would be bypassing the high frequency or the mid and high or not. Typically, loudspeakers use 50v or 100v caps but they can be higher, it doesn't matter beyond that. The caps in there may or may not have been spec'd for a motor run application, i don't know. They are obviously not the older "oil can" style but are more modern film and foil types. The smaller caps are potted and they all look to be of very high quality so it was just a matter of whether or not I thought that the speakers would benefit from a bit more energy on the top end as to a bypass operation. After listening to them, I don't think it would be of much benefit really. They sound quite nice stock and are about as extended and clear as the drivers will allow. Nothing to knock about those x-overs, they are very substantial and hand off the signal to the drivers as they should. You don't see this type of quality and craftsmanship much more today as it is very expensive. The newer versions are less substantial and still run thousands of dollars new. The thing that I find most distracting about them is the size. That is the very reason they were sold in the first place. You don't need boxes this big to produce great sound anymore. You do need it to produce a huge output at lower frequencies with this style woofer however and I gotta say that they will do that when asked! Cello was very realistic in the lower registers. I guess I like classic style and workmanship, so I was attracted to these by those aspects. The monsterous size is also attractive in a he-man, power tool kinda way ;-). Every type of furniture and every type of sound presentaion has its fans in the audio world and this is no exception. They take "big old speakers" to the extreme and round back again for another slap on the forehead!

-Bill

They certainly play louder, so if I need to make an anouncement across the parking lot to wake-up the entire mall, - no problemo. The Altecs that I had were the same way in that regard. I could kill small mammels at 50 yds with a Barry manilow CD (but then, why would I want to ? :-/).

-Bill

..... because you can!!!! [:P]

el34.

thanks for the invite. I just might stop by. where in Roanoke are you located? I checked with yellowpages.com and could not find a listing>

Dave

Hi Dave,

Funny, but it worked for me (crumby map though ;-). Here is a better link that gives directions as well as better maps: http://www.uptownaudio.com/map.htm

We are across the street from the Kroger (lower level Towers Shopping Center) in what was the original Record Exchange location. I've been there for ten years :-).

-Bill

• Moderators

You don't see this type of quality and craftsmanship much more today as it is very expensive. The newer versions are less substantial and still run thousands of dollars new. The thing that I find most distracting about them is the size. I guess I like classic style and workmanship, so I was attracted to these by those aspects. The monsterous size is also attractive in a he-man, power tool kinda way ;-). Every type of furniture and every type of sound presentaion has its fans in the audio world and this is no exception. They take "big old speakers" to the extreme and round back again for another slap on the forehead!

-Bill

All of the Heritage line produced by Klipsch is produced with "this type of quality and craftmanship" and yes it is expensive. Every pair is "custom built". You don't find the craftmanship and quality produced by the Klipsch factory in Hope very often.

I guess I am also attracted to them in a "he-man, power tool kinda way".[;)] They fit right in with the four Forte IIs and two Fortes and sub in my family room!!![H]

All of our friends "slap their foreheads" after listening to our Cornwall's. [;)]

I agree, "interesting sales technique".[:(] As big and as "he-man looking" as they are you may have to take a few hundred off the price.[;)]