Any Velodyde fans out there???

Darkninja86

I am a Velodyne fan for several reasons.

They manufacture quality subs priced for starters as well as audiophiles,they design subs that are sound quality first and output second. I have a Velodyne HGS18,SPL1000R and comming up a DD15 or DD18.

The DLS4000 is a fine little sub,the important thing here you enjoy it and are a satisfied Velo owner.

I have a DLS-5000R LOVE it !!!!!!!!! always wanted a velodyne ever since I saw a HGS-1200. But because I'm a Klipsch lover with a pair of Quartets a HGS or the new DD series is not efficient enough. But thats not that bad as my DLS was only $799 and a DD is about $1800.

velodyne are nice due to low distortion servo driver subwoofer but servos are not exactly spl machines if that is the sub you are looking for..

SPL,who listens at 120dB? Even at a "mere" 110dB? Deaf people and those who have severe hearing loss,or yet want to rely on hearing aids when they reach a more advanced age. Velodyne's HGS/DD series have subs to fit the majority of rooms and are quite capable. The SPL SPL talk is fine,but quality over quantity any day,as the quantity even the smallest DD series sub provides in a small room is plenty satisfactory....to me! And I own subs capable of intimidating output.

Oh yeah ...oh no not again...JL Audio has both supreme quality and impressive output and extension! Oh no not JL again [:o]

jacksonbart,

WOW now that fan moves some air!

I'll take the Velodyne servo controlled quality deep bass response over the boomy SPL subwoofers, quality over quantity any day. My dual Velodyne's have quite the job to keep up with my speaker compliment and do so admirably I might add. These babies are true bottom dwellers!

I don't need no stinkin' bass shakers the Velo's move the floors, walls and foundation set at 0db on the preamp and a mere "4" on the volume control. Having a Klipschorn in every corner helps too! [:D]

I am very happy with my DD-18. Low distortion is more important than SPL. With the built in room equalization system it can be tailored to a specific room with ease. Have gone the boomy route before and I'll take accuracy any day. I have 3 Chorus across the front of the HT and 2 Heresy III in the rear, and the Velo keeps up just fine. Everything set to small and crossed at 60. It will easily shake the walls and this is in a room over 8000 cu. ft.. I also use my HT system in a 2 channel mode while listening to music (quite often very loudly) and it really works well with the Chorus.

Check out the Velodyne support thread at AVS - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=304306&page=1&pp=30 a very supportive company. Much like Klipsch.

- Jim

I have a DLS-5000R LOVE it !!!!!!!!! always wanted a velodyne ever since I saw a HGS-1200. But because I'm a Klipsch lover with a pair of Quartets a HGS or the new DD series is not efficient enough. But thats not that bad as my DLS was only $799 and a DD is about $1800.

I have to disagree .

My Belles are more efficient than your Quartets and my DD18 has no problem keeping up with them . In fact it seems to outclass them at times .

post-18289-13819321191646_thumb.jpg

I have to disagree .

My Belles are more efficient than your Quartets and my DD18 has no problem keeping up with them . In fact it seems to outclass them at times .

i second that. my spl-1500r is very quick and musical. i also had the DLS-5000R and thought it was very impressive as well. it's a beast. :)

I never said I would take boomy systems. I just rather have the best of both worlds. Loud and deep without distortion. With servos you give up some loud and deep to get low distortion.

according to velodyne this doesn't seem to be the case ... seems like servo gives you best of both worlds. according to velodyne the "perceived" loudness you hear is harmonic distortion.

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/tech/faqanswer.aspx?ID=38&sid=453s864e

I never said I would take boomy systems. I just rather have the best of both worlds. Loud and deep without distortion. With servos you give up some loud and deep to get low distortion.

Funny, I haven't given up loud or clean sound with the pair of HGS18 Series II. They have long been considered a great match (one of the few) for LaScalas and KHorns.

I suspect anyone doubting this may not have had much hands on experience with them, and any reports of their "insufficiencies" exaggerated. I can only imagine what brochure or article makes such a claim. But it is rather ironic, and I think it speaks volumes, that we haven't heard anyone thus far who uses them in combination with Heritage utter a complaint.

And short of the Danley DT-20, I have no need nor desire to change them.

As is so often the case, I suspect the rest is simply speculation, supposition and conjecture. [:P] [;)]

And it rather reminds me of kids sitting around debating over which car, a Koenigsegg Number2, Bugatti Veyron, or McLaren F1, etc. would beat each other in some imagined race.

But by all means, have fun... Its always entertaining to listen to someone tell me how they do or don't perform...especially as even my cat has a custom pair of Etymotic ear plugs!