Klipschorn 1976 upgrade

profsbg

Caps should be replaced because of their old age which does not cost to much. Bob Crites a forum member here sells good cap replacement kits on eBay. He sells new crossovers too if you'd rather. I use a set of his crossovers and really like them! Link provided below. I'd go ahead and do new wire while at it. New wire cost so little. Drivers are hopefully OK and last a very long time. I replaced all mine, but that's just me. Most do not. I heard a big difference, but mileage may vary.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZbobcritesQQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEFSQ3aMESOI

Well, it depends on what you mean by "top form". I have 76s and I found that replacing the stock AA network with a type A built with Jensen PIO capacitors was a significant improvement. It increased the HF energy to provide clarity, but was still quite smooth due to the choice of components. It's really a matter of taste and listening habits, not to mention system synergy (including the room).

I'd counsel you to buy them if they are within your means and practical to pick up. The BIN is fair, even considering the condition. Local Khorns are not all that easy to find. Listen to them (constantly - as if you'd be able to stop) for at least a month to evaluate what needs improvement if anything. Barring any gross defect, the networks seem to be the first thing folks here ditch. Not that the originals were a poor design or junk, but after 30 years, the components are likely to fall short of acceptability. Network upgrades seem to be $200-500 or so. They can be quite a bit cheaper if you can solder, read with comprehension and have the inclination to attack them yourself.

Seller says that tweeter failed and Klipsch replaced tweeter and

network. Unclear why they would replace with different parts

in network, perhaps what Klipsch had available?.

Also, how common is it for tweeters to blow in these things, does this

mean it was being pushed too hard? I guess it isnt easy to determine

the answers to these, but any input is appreciated.

Sounds like Klipsch thought that the tweeter may have failed because of a proplem in the tweeter protection circuit on the network.  Probably the networks are the same type, just different capacitors used at the time the replacement network was made.  I wonder if the tweeters are different also.  If the replacement happened after about 1979, the new tweeter may be a K-77M (square magnet) and the original tweeter a K-77 (round magnet).

Bob Crites

This is way out of sequence.

First: Buy the Speakers

Second: Enjoy them

Third: Fool around with their placement and snugging them into the corners

Fourth: Continue to enjoy them

It is far too early to worry about swapping crossovers. If you are worried about the caps being old, then

Fifth: Spend $20 bucks at Parts Express and get some Solens (no need to go overboard at this point with fancy caps etc)

Sixth: Continue to enjoy them

It is not as bad as it used to be, but for awhile it seemed that the mantra around here was "immediately modify your Klipschorn...."

They actually sound pretty good as they are.

Good luck on the bidding,

-Tom