OT DAVID BECKHAM JOINS U.S. TEAM ! ! ! ! !

seti

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Certainly much more action."

More people running around anyway, no doubt of that.

" The concensus is that Soccer is much more demanding physically and much rougher on the body with all the fast direction changes, tackles, and no protection."

Digging ditches by hand is much more physically demanding and rougher on the body than soccer. Maybe I'll go out and watch some laborers go at it, gotta be at least as interesting as watching soccer. Probably more interesting to do too.

I'm sorry, maybe it's because I'm an old-timer but to me soccer will always be a game for DPs or snotty suburban climber types, neither a group I feel a bond with.

Baseball and Golf... my 2 favorite sports to watch on TV. Don't care who's playing, I'm watching.

NFL (Redskins), College Football (USC and Florida), College Basketball (UCLA), NBA (used to watch the Lakers but you couldn't pay me to watch a game today). If they aren't on I'm doing something else...

Mike

Yeah, golf on TV is great, almost as good as baseball. Both sports are well suited to television because the action is concentrated, or gets concentrated, on single people or small groups.

Like baseball where things generally happen consecutively unlike football where things are happening all over the place at the same time.

I cannot see soccer taking off in the US - god only knows it has had enough goes at it. As an ex-pat Englishman, and ex-resisident of Manchester - lifelong supporter of Manchester United (where Beckham originated prior to going to Real Madrid) I am a bit of a soccer nut (although we call it football over here).

Beckham is 31 - not over the hill even in Europe - although only a few years left in him at best. I watched him when we was a 19 year old playing for ManU - not, imho, the most exciting to watch - except from dead ball situations and the odd cross.

Basically if Pele couldnt do it (nor George Best - the real best player ever IMHO - also ex. ManU) then I dont see Beckham doing it. Soccer is just a game the whole world plays and watches except the US - live with it.

I cannot see soccer taking off in the US - god only knows it has had enough goes at it. As an ex-pat Englishman, and ex-resisident of Manchester - lifelong supporter of Manchester United (where Beckham originated prior to going to Real Madrid) I am a bit of a soccer nut (although we call it football over here).

Beckham is 31 - not over the hill even in Europe - although only a few years left in him at best. I watched him when we was a 19 year old playing for ManU - not, imho, the most exciting to watch - except from dead ball situations and the odd cross.

Basically if Pele couldnt do it (nor George Best - the real best player ever IMHO - also ex. ManU) then I dont see Beckham doing it. Soccer is just a game the whole world plays and watches except the US - live with it.

I did notice something different this year with the world cup games. I was able to go to bars and find it on the tv without having to ask to turn it but the previous world cup you had to ask them to turn it on or watch with friends in a someones home. I hope it is something that year by year garners more interest in the states. Oh well I will continue to watch no matter what happens.