Failure to find favorable Faure for fini

fini

Last night I was listening to KPFA in Berkeley (Tony Rice and Peter Rowan were in the studio!). Later that evening, a different show (same station) played Brian Auger's version of Pavane. It's such a great (if overplayed, perhaps) piece, and I realized I have no copy of it, in any form. Does anyone have a favorite? The Auger piece is off the album, "Befour," and I might pick that one up, too.

If anyone is interested, you can listen to Rice and Rowan' performance here.

Sorry Gregg - missed this one the first time round.

Hmmm....Faure - I am no expert on him but I did go through a French kick a while's back (more Debussy, Ravel, Delibes etc.). I only have a couple of Violin Sonatas on Philips vinyl - if memory serves. Interestingly enough I do not have Pavane - so thanks for pointing that one out - I will remedy that situations when time allows.

I thought I had his version of Clair De Lune but in fact I have Debussy's - so I may never have heard his. You can find out more about him at http://www.naxos.com/composerinfo/331.htm there are links to his discography so you can probably listen to parts of the music from there.

Sorry - other than the above I drew a blank.

Yeah I have Tone Poems one with the vintage guitars and mandolins. I love the early Tony Rice recordings. Manzanita has Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Ricky Skaggs, and David Grisman. Cold on the shoulder has Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Vassar Clemens, and Bela Fleck. You can't make a bad album with talent like that. I am going to try to make the Hamlin West Virginia show and maybe the Pomeroy Ohio.

Gregg,

I'm not much into some of the later French music with mysterious (somewhat vague, to me) harmonies but delicate, finely-wrought orcestral and vocal use. Fauré's a bit hard for me get a handle on -- he lived a long life, from 1845 which put the beginning of his composing career smack in the middle of the romantic era, to 1924, ending after the Impressionistic and Post-Romantic eras. For me, Fauré is a very introspective composer that requires concentrated listening until you get grooved into him. Wikipedia seems to have a good summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Faur%C3%A9.

His famous Pavane is usually titled "Pavane pour une infante defunte" (Pavane for a dead infant, although that doesn't seem to be Fauré's own title). It appears that he also wrote a "pavane" in his famous and worthy Requiem. Since the Pavane is brief, it's going to be combined with other works in any CD, and the Requiem is a logical CD partner.

I wasn't sure if you wanted another pop or jazz version, or a straight-out standard classical recording. For the latter, a quick search on Amazon.com brought up a couple of CDs that contain both the Requiem and the Pavane: Dutoit and the Montreal, http://www.amazon.com/Faur%C3%A9-Requiem-Pell%C3%A9as-M%C3%A9lisande-Pavane/dp/B0000041UE/sr=1-1/qid=1168621755/ref=sr_1_1/102-3996980-3593721?ie=UTF8&s=music, and another that sounds good in the clips but is probably a little less idiomatic: http://www.amazon.com/Faur%C3%A9-Requiem-Koechlin-Schmitt-Memoriam/dp/B0000041BH/sr=8-1/qid=1168620366/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-3996980-3593721?ie=UTF8&s=music. Listen to the clips that Amazon is so good at furnishing, especially the Pavane -- I didn't listen to Dutoit's, but suspect that's the first choice.

Larry