An All Heresy Home Theater???

SilverSport

I came to this Forum over two years ago with very little knowledge of Home Theater knowing only that I liked Klipsch (I had kg2s in my 2 channel Music set up)...I asked questions about the Best Buy F-3 set up and received varying responses...things changed quickly.

I picked up a set of 1978 H-BR Heresys in a dark Walnut Stain (thanks ChicagoPete) and was pleased...these were speakers I wanted to buy when getting the kg2s but funds only allowed for kg2s in 1989...now I had a pair of speakers I had coveted...

After being on this place for a bit, I gained knowledge soaking it up like a sponge and learned more about the "previously auditioned" market for Klipsch speakers...their heartiness and those here who could help make them like new...better than new...(thanks DeanG, popbumper, BEC)...

I got the strange notion of getting Heresys for Mains for a Home Theater and I embarked to get myself a Center...I found a nice set of real Walnut Oil 1980 Heresys (thanks Redtop) and paired them with a set of KSF-S5s for rear Surrounds and a KLF-C7 for the Center off ebay...shipped the KSF-S5s arrived slightly damaged but sounded swell...the "brand new in box" KLF-C7 seems to have been previously auditioned and was damaged prior to shipping...ebay was not my friend...but I had friends here...and I continued to learn

In a quirk of fate, I lucked into a very nice Academy and this quickly replaced the KLF-C7 for Center duty...I thought I was set...but after a while and being here and all...the bug bit me again...out went the KSF-S5s...this was the reason for my dissatisfaction many said...get this, get that...get an ALL Heresy Home Theater said (thank you Olorin, Frzninvt)...but I was having none of it...time went on and I turned up the heat on that Academy with a K-Stack conversion (thanks popbumper)...this was nice but the rear Surrounds were still lacking...what the heck, I still owned 2 sets of Heresys so why not give 'em a whirl...I tried the Heresys in back as rear Surrounds set up on TV trays behind me...wow!...very nice but the popbumpered Academy didn't match my Heresys very well...I upgraded the crossovers on all four Heresys thinking this might help (thanks BEC)...it worked for a bit but I was wanting more...and I was learning still more...

On a lark, I picked up a set of perfect Walnut Oil Quartets for a low price...Heresys with bass you all said...little Forte' IIs you said...will voice better with that Academy you said...and it sure did...after I finally dialed in the Home Theater properly (thanks Dr. Who)...now I am set...maybe I'll pick up another set of Quartets and maybe even some day I'll find a single Quartet for an all Quartet Home Theater...I had tried for two years to find somewhat matching all Heresy speakers for the Home Theater but was thwarted at nearly every turn...Quartets have bigger bass than my Heresys BUT they require more care in the setting up because of their passive rear mounted radiator...hmmmmm

Lightning strikes yet again and I find another set of Quartets...of course they are a different wood finish (Oak Oil)...but my room can't support all these Quartets to properly use as Home Theater speakers...of course my EICO HF-81 (thanks Dr Bill-Daddy Dee) doesn't mind...in fact it PREFERS them to the Heresys...still learning

My Quartet-Academy-Quartet with Heresys for rear Surrounds sounds pretty darn good...I'm done (sure you are)...but I keep listening and trying to learn...there are "distractions" like Tube gear (thanks robster, Craig, Mark)...McIntosh (thanks Win-dodger)...as well as stocking a pair of unloved Klipschorns with all new speakers and drivers as well as new AK-4 networks...(thanks Klipsch, Steve Philips, Trey, Amy, Win-dodger) ...

Throw in a trip to Indy and I meet many of you and hear so many differing opinions and systems (LaScala Home Theater...Oh My!) plus some of the new stuff coming out...trusted to keep quiet about Heresy IIIs and Cornwall IIIs (wonderful!)...

Last week...DeanG puts up a single "Heresy" with his own flavor of crossover (thanks Dean)...a BEC tweeter (thanks Bob)...and a beautiful cabinet of Birch Raw stained to be almost a match to Klipsch Walnut (thanks Jorjen)...I can FINALLY have an all Heresy Home Theater...but do I need it??? (do any of us NEED any of this???)...I had an itch...should I scratch it???...email back and forth and in a couple of days (today) I received the DeanG Heresy in a "bank vault" of a box...not even the gorillas at UPS could damage this one...

With aching back I listen to my Quartet-Academy-Quartet and Heresy Home Theater...I listen to my stand by Band of Brothers...very nice...then I disconnect the Quarts and Academy...recalibrate the PrePro and hook up three Heresys across the front with the Jordan -DeanG-Bob Crites-Paul Klipsch Center...que the very same thing I just saw and have been very pleased with...

Sweet...I think this "Heresy" is even better all around than the Academy...oh, I'll have to listen to more movies but that's part of the fun of this hobby, right??? I will continue to listen and learn from all of you, that's the rest of the fun of this hobby, yes??? What a fun, expensive, unexpected, expensive, twist and turn, rollercoaster ride hobby this is...

Thanks EVERYONE!

Bill

thanks again everyone...Michael...I haven't had a chance to just A/B it with my "normal" Heresys with just the BEC crossover rebuild...as a center though it shines pretty nice...I may have to play with the Home Theater crossovers a bit...set to 80hZ all the way around...when I had Quartet mains they were set to 60hZ with the popbumpered Academy at 100hZ and the rear Heresys at 80hZ...still too early but nice just the same.

Bill

Similar story here, started about 4 months after you did with the purchase of a pair of Heresy and after hearing them, the rest is history....now considering a second all-Klipschorn 7.1 home theater for the basement.

If not for the 2-hour commute to work (and too many other irons in the fire), I might consider doing what Michael did and seek employment with Klipsch HQ in Indy.

Way cool by the way Michael, I never thought of that. Surprising too, considering I have a history of turning my hobbies into a carer like I did with Corvette's and Muscle Cars, Firearms, and the Retail Greenhouse/Garden Center I bought for my wife. No better way to build a collection or pursue a hobby that to be able to buy wholesale.

But, Michael isn't working for Klipsch like a kid running a Kool-Aid stand? [;)]

Bill, We have been on some similar paths as well. AK-4's on the K horns.. (I would suggest sealing up the backs too..lol) And the quest for a perfect (Well for our ears) Heritage HT.

First off, with rare exceptions (e.g. You just can't physically match it, so you improvise like I did with a vertical Cornwall between 2 K horns on it's side.... or perhaps a better center than your left or right speakers will improve your experience) BUT, that said, having the same speaker as your center as your left and right ones... is always the best option. Why??

"TIMBRE DOES MATTER!!" Anyone that has done this and heard it for themselves agrees. Maybe more important for anyone is your three up front. Although I challenge with HD great DVD soundtracks... (The new Blue ray disc's with capable 7 channels, each with its own information coming) It is perhaps even more important to have all of the same speakers around you for your ultimate experience.

I also realize this is not always practical, WAF or just room dimensions, 5.1, 7.1, 9.1 LOL or ___ < fill in the blank.

I heard many years ago a Yamaha system that used a KG1.5's and a sub in a 5.1 point system... It just blew me away. But why? The answer was in my gut, too, because how could it sound this good..?? The answer was again all around the same... Ahhh... Like an epiphany, I learned something...

Now some may like the sprayed sound around the surrounds... Some more direct, that is personal choice too. I might suggest it is just different.. not better nor worse... Anyhow good luck on your quest!

And if you want to hear a all around 7 La Scala's in a dedicated HT, with the Klipsch THX subs... your not too far away!

• Moderators

Nice story, and if you ever wanted to change things around you could always get your money back on any of those speakers, If you could part with them, how can you lose.

When I moved away from the Synergys I wanted an all Heresy HT. I was thinking they are Heritage and small and with a sub should be great for Ht.

Then Fastlane " thank you " , told me about, and set me up with the seller of a pair of Forte ll's an hour from me, I loved them. Then Michael " thank you " found a pair in the panhandle of Florida, just a few hours away and gave me his spot in line. They match the first pair perfectly, oak. Then by chance I found a pair of originaly Forte's at a Irrigation supply company we buy from, not a perfect match but cheap $ 300 and close enough for rears, for now. So now it's 6.1 Forte's and even if I get more Klipsch, and I will, I will keep this HT setup.

Now something for the workshop and maby the bedroom and there may be more room in the livingroom for another pair, there's only 8 Klipsch and a sub in there now ! I think if I rearange it a little I would have room in the 2 outside corners. [:D] That way they could be two 2 CH setups and a HT in one room, that should do it for that room.

Strange part about this is these 3 pairs of Forte's have been the only older Klipsch to come up for sale withen a days drive from me that I am aware of, and all were Forte ll's or Forte's. I have been lucky, and had alot of help. Thanks.

Many of us have discovered the joys of an all identical full range speaker laden HT.

I started out with a similar theater: Cornwall mains, Academy center, and Chorus rears. It was quite good - but at times I could pick out differences in sounds as they panned across the speakers. I acquired four Cornwalls to match the main pair, now having ALL CORNWALLS in the theater. The difference is startling. Timbre matched perfection and an effortless presentation that makes going to a theater sound like it's run by amateurs!

Roger (IndyKlipschFan) and many other "all identical main" speaker users will tell you: There is NOTHING like full range capabilities all around with identical mains to bring you the best sound possible. While some rooms are more friendly towards the "dipole/WDST/spray" approach, I prefer monopole/full size/range mains in the rear if the room will accommodate.

So all Heresys in the HT? I heartily endorse the idea!

Indy lectured me on timbre match until I finally listened. Now I have like 10 CW's stockpiled for the time when I can refurb them all into one massive HT setup (ok, I'll probably leave the 63 verticals for a dedicated 2 ch somewhere).

Those who have been fortunate enough to amass a set of 5-7 identical Klipsch Heritage speakers have a little slice of heaven. There is nothing like a perfect match.

I set up my Canon PJ with old fashioned stand-type 4' screen in my room today for the Colts game. Of course my KLF is right behind there so I pulled it's cable, stuck one of my new KP201 (kinda industrial Heresies) and put it on the floor right under the screen.

That Heresy makes a damn good center channel to some LS mains! I was very impressed with the delivery. Used the Yammie on Game mode and the dialog was crystal clear and the bottom end had good punch for when the hits came hard.

M

Aaah - another all Heresy HT convert. I have been all Heresy for the better part of 5 years and I am a true convert. For size, fit and timbre matching I am very pleased. Further, I have had many folks by that revel in clarifying the faults of an audio system rave about the sound from my set up.

The set up -

Heresy mains, heresy sides (placed in the ceiling), modified Heresy center (built with H I scavenged parts) and an SVS PCI sub. I do nave some small infinity for my back two speakers (shame on me - but I flat out ran out of space).

A good Rat Shack SPL meter does wonders - I use this for HT, SACD, Stereo (5 channel is preferred)

post-8682-13819321262306_thumb.jpg