Help as to Where Crossover Points Are in AA and AK-3?

meagain

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who, Nice transistion over the late period to the "company line". For the most part, the discussion here's focus is product a quarter century removed from Hope.The truth be told, once we consumers plunk down the cash and the warrantee has expired, Klipsch's involvement in our purchases is over.

At that time, and before the warrantee period is over if one chooses to void said compact, the sole interest is that of the consumer. That interest is "how does this set of speakers sound, to me (the only entity that matters), in my room?" Anechoic measurements go out the window when the real world of an imperfect envrionment rears it's head. The fix is not to spend thousands on bass traps or absorbant panels, the fix is to tailor the speakers to the envrionment in which they exist for a far smaller sum. If this activity is sinful, I confess and will go do an Act of Contrition.[;)]

Having build and used networks utilizing Dean's design, it looks to me that those networks Dean built for Lisa are not performing to their capabilities. Dean has graciously offered to rectify the situation. Meagain, take him up on that. If you like the smoother sound of paper in oil capacitors, I'm sure Dean has something to offer.

Rick

IDK Rick - I'm getting annoyed with the whole audio thing. I'm flip flopping today. And I find this near impossible to do without a/b'ing unless there's an earth shattering difference between 2 things. I was just listening to the old crossovers, then put the new ones in again. Then see the bias is different on the tubes than Saturday when I biased and we listened all day. I'm sure that changed something. So I'm annoyed.

Biasing the amps up will make little audible difference unless they are waaaay off.

We know the AAs you just got from Josh are 'right'. That's about as close to the original classic Klipschorn sound as you're going to get. Just leave those in and take them for a nice long ride while I check out the other networks. No use in even putting those back in until I have a look at them. Right now, it would be a good idea to break out the microphone and take a measurement with Josh's networks in there. I'm sure they'll show the tweeters down quite a bit compared to the other ones. Now, with Josh's AAs in there, any remaining harshness, shrillness, etc., will have to put down to room issues or the midhorn.

The only Adrian Belew I have is on a King Crimson DVD. Even if I had the exact recording you're referring too, it's not likely I would hear what you're hearing. I mean, my top section is pretty different.

Are you working with Bob on those AK-3s? There must be a quarter pound of solder on those things. That 10 AWG wire means they probably had to use a blow torch to get the solder to flow. I find it hard to fathom that kind of heat not damaging the film on those small motor runs. Personally, I would strip the coils and autoformers and throw the rest into the trash. All that wire would go right in behind it. Then the drivers and the horn.:)

Dean - I think I'm just plain not in a good frame of mind to do audio today and I should've sensed this and not even listened to music at all. I'm sure I didn't pull Saturday's initial impressions out of my butt so I'm just going to relisten when I have my wig on straight. Now, just 3 minutes ago - got a call saying hubbie's mom is in the hospital. Probably a good thing he forgot his cell. LOL I forgot what I was going to say....

Yes, there's so much solder on the ak-3s. Wires are affixed like fort knox even before they were soldered. Since I was sending the tweeters to Bob, I arranged to ship the AK-3s off to him for a terminal strip to be added. Terminal strips are a good thing! What are the motor runs? Those little black squares? We tried to desolder there and the first thing I worried about is the heat from the iron so we backed off that idea and canned the whole thing to have them tweaked. I guess I'll see how they sound when they come back and if screwy - go to plan D. Whatever that is.

I want to test those little black rectangular caps when the crossovers get here.  One of those has just taken over 1st place as worst cap I ever saw after I rebuilt a set of 1987 ALs last week.  It is a tweeter cap that was so bad that it caused to midrange to roll off.  

Bob 

OK - I'm going to try to do some Behringer readings today. What exactly am I supposed to measure now and where to put the mic? I was going to do a 2-speaker test from listening position, then I want to test the individual speakers as well. Previously I was told to put the mic 3 feet from each speaker at the level of between the tweeter & squawker. I realize this wouldn't be a good test of bass, but wouldn't it be good for the squawker/tweeter section which is where my issues are? Taking suggestions so I do this efficiently.

Boy... I didn't intend to backtrack to an old observation, but we're listening to iTunes this morning and since every now and then, I question my CDP not being up to par... listened to a lossless iTunes song using the HK AVR's pre & dac. It sounded darned good. Then put the CD version in the CDP thru Peach and darned if I didn't think it sounded brighter. Was listening to a minimalistic Sinatra tune and I felt his voice sounded a tad warmer or 'prettier' thru the iTunes. Husband's initial impression was in agreement, then he backtracked down to 'a wash'. This shouldn't be. Makes me wonder if it's at minimum - a tube issue. Also disturbing is the preamp comparison with this.

Craig - when I send the VRDs to you for an exam, can I send you ALL my tubes in my system for testing as well? My Peach & CDP? I can't help but think minimally, I'm not running the 'right' tubes or the ones I have suck in some way health-wise.

Nice job Lisa. Well, looking at all those, I don't think there is anything wrong with the tweeter sections of the ones I built for you. It looks slightly more elevated than the Jensen AA, but those AA's are kind of up there too.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to keep up with your questions in this thread and some of the others -- weekends are bad for me as far as free time goes.