Help as to Where Crossover Points Are in AA and AK-3?

meagain

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could someone do a summary of all this random data floating around? lol

I don't want to make conclusions too early, but why not add to the craziness? It looks to me like you're benefiting from the low-pass filter on the squawker in the AK-3, where on your other designs you didn't have one (old designs would be the AA and AL, right?).

I would put forth the notion that perhaps the most cost-effective approach would be to simply add an inductor onto the squawker network....maybe an inductor and cap to make it steeper. This would cost what, $30 after shipping? and would be easy to drop into most any network.

I woke up at 3am thinking about the importance of distortion and wondering how I can eliminate as much as possible.

Ya know... the Jubilee as I understand it, measures out at 1/3'rd the distortion levels as the Khorn. Or, a different way to put it...the Khorn has three times the amount of distortion.

This is copied directly from an email from BerryBoy

"the distortion data show this. where the khorn is 3% to 1% the jub is 1% to .3%"

Sooooooooooo Meagain, do ya wanna drag your hubby down for an audition? [:)]

IDK Who..... I can't imagine what I'm hearing is par for the course cuz I believe everyone would be complaining and selling their khorns. Besides, I have no idea what you just said. :)

LOL!

I'm not sure I would call what's on the AK-3 a "squawker low pass" -- it's a coil in parallel with the driver. It's pulling energy away, but I think it's just pulling down a section of the response of the K-55-M. The ALKJr's she has do have first order squawker sections. So, the only networks she has over there right now with no electrical roll off is the Jensen Type AA's. Of course, there is the natural roll off of the driver in combination with the horn, and you can see that in one of her Behringer pics -- not much happening past 6kHz. I honestly don't think a series coil in line with the squawker does all that much in the form of cutting the response, I sometimes think it almost acts more like a resistor than anything else -- just producing a bit of attenuation.

Who - look at the 2 tweeter charts above.... Do you really think the x-over type is doing all that? I can't imagine. I mean, the 6k area has about a TWELVE db difference! I can't imagine that's even remotely normal. This What I DO know, is despite there being a peak with the ak-3's around 12-13k ish and a higher tweeter level towards 20k..... I love that! Can hear all kinds of goodness from it - laundry list level..... and I feel I want a tweeter that extends out to 20k nicely and CLEANLY. The issues lie at the 6k area peak. Bad bad things happen there. The ak-3 charts look more similar to if they were eq'd down.

For kicks, I put the mic at the listening position and played mono to a/b between the new/old speaks..... The AK-3 tweeter section looked like this pretty hill. The old tweeter section had these leaps through the stratosphere at 6-6500k. These frequencies in these old khorns have done nothing but leap out. IMO vastly inappropriately and although it might be an oddity - I have to assume they are simply wacked. And I just can't believe it's a difference between ak-3 and the older styles that 'everyone' here has.

Bob - If you're there..... how do you reckon your ct-125 would look here? I mean.... I'd hate to buy them and still have to use my behringer to chill out this 6kish area to eliminate sibilance/piercy/eardrum twang. But.... I guess I'm going to end up with them aren't I? LOL

Dean - Did you see the last 4 pics I posted? The squawker comparison and tweeter? I tried to separate them out a bit but left the woofers going. You might have to open 2 browsers to see them side by side cuz IDK how to combine them nicely yet.

Doesn't the ak-3 squawker and the AA squawker look relatively close to each other when they drop out? And, isn't there a dramatic tweeter difference? I'm trying to rule something out here and from my uneducated brain..... the squawker situation looks pretty ok?

I think, perhaps, you are just not liking the "bump" at 6-7 khz you get from the AA type crossovers.  I think you would perhaps like a type A or AK-3 better.  Neither of those have the "bump" in the tweeter output.

Bob

The straw has broke, I've had it with khorns. I put the stupid 'old' tweeter in the ak3..... Same stupid 6k spike area. I thought "OK, it moved to the ak-3"... Took 'em out, put 'em back.... nice 'mound'... "OK, maybe I didn't have them in right the first time". Took 'em out.. Waved the mofo in the air.... put it back... no spike. Flat as a pancake from 6500-12k. The refurbed ones are around 3db lower 6500-9k. Now I have no idea which are the better tweeters. But if the AA/Jr's add about 3db to that 6500 area, and these old tweets run hotter there - that's adding up to be about a 7-8db increase over the refurbs. Further, if they are right - I have zero idea how anyone can listen to them like that cuz they sound like sh*t. Maybe I find vocals so much better with the ak-3's because the midrange doesn't have all these weird peaks/dips like the AA/Jr.s or start low them ramp up to insanity. No clue. But my tweeters ARE different. Tho' no clue which one is 'right'. Probably the spitty one. No wonder people complain about khorns being bright/piercy.... Heck, they aren't even consistent sounding amongst 2 pairs. Add to that the various x-over options that don't seem to be in the realm with each other and I can see why people have issues. I have 3 pairs of Cornwalls and they all sound like.... Cornwalls. I have 2 pairs of Khorns that sound like totally different speakers. Which one is 'right'? Heck if I know. And I haven't even looked into the bass, squawk on the ak-3's. They probably aren't as good as the others and I can't wave a magic wand to grab all the bits I like & toss them together.

Meagain out.