Who has an Oppo DVD player?

wuzzzer

Since I got my new TV last weekend I'm looking in to getting an upconverting DVD player. I also am concerned with the sound quality on audio CDs. I would probably sell both my Harman/Kardon DVD player and my Cambridge Audio CD player to get a new DVD player, as long as the DVD player played audio CDs well.

I really want to get an Oppo after reading all the reviews but I was curious as to anyone's personal experience with them.

{edit} I just was looking at their site and I see that they have a new player, model DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI. Its only $229.

We tested the 971 the $200 upconverter oppo to the Denon 2900 here and couldn't come up with any reason to keep the Denon soundwise. In fact, on many blind tests, we chose the Oppo. The Oppo picture smoked the Denon - that's for sure. The tray appears very flimsy though - but it's holding up nicely. I like the blue lights and the remote is cute as heck. I'm still reluctant to let the Denon go just yet. We've not tried CD's on it. Just tested the sound with concert DVDs since we have a separate dedicated cdp. But the pic is certainly quite nice (once I played around a bit). I understand the customer service is outstanding.

I had it for a little while and it had a great picture/sound on dvds.I never got as far as dvda/sacd/cd,although the unit had a great picture it just didn't fit in with the rest of my set.I'm thinkin' about the Cambridge dvd89 as I only need 720p in the room it's in.It's the same as the oppo 970 with a few Cambridge mods/build but no 1080p and $200 bucks more,but big improvement in cosmetics(only my opinion).The 981 is the unit to beat at it's price level and the 970 has already proven they care about audio too. 30 days to try...........good luck.

I have one that I like. I can only compare it to the sony's that I had previously. I do play CD's and I think they sound great.(But I'm no audiophile) They tray does look flimsy but mine has held up fine. I've had it about 8 months. It's a 971H. Mine was DVI out so i have it conected with a optical line. never tried any SACD or Audio DVD. Regular DVD sounds great though.

I too have an Oppo. The picture is incredible and it's been a very reliable player for about a year and a half. I can't comment too much on sound b/c I just have it hooked up in a two channel system.

As mentioned, Oppo's customer service is fantastic.

I also like the firmware upgrades that have been offered by the company. As quirks are fixed or advancements are made to the player, these changes are available for download from Oppo. I'm sure there are more companies doing this, but I think it's cool that they're a proactive company.

Jeff

I have the 971H and can say that PQ quality is outstanding on a 96" screen through a Sanyo Z-5. I was very leary of upconverting players thinking it was all BS but it truly is a huge improvement on my HK DVD22. DVD audio as well as regular DVD soundtracks are stunning. I would say CD is par with most good budget DVD/CD players. If you have a Cambridge unit you may want to a/b for sound on CD's, just my opinion.

In any case, for the Video alone its a simple choice, its the only player to get Imho.

I went for the upscaling 1080, in order to continue to enjoy my ~550 DVDs on my new Sharp Aquos 52" LCD at the best possible resolution. I'm not ready to play betamax/VHS with the HD-DVD/blu-ray format wars, and wanted something to use now.

OPPO for $229 seemed like the best deal out there, and I'm very happy with it.

A second issue I went through was how to switch the HDMI, as my Yamaha RXV-995 was built before this format came out. I only wanted to run one HDMI cable to the TV, but needed to output both the OPPO and a dishnetwork HD box. My solution was a switcher, as well as an in-line amplifier (as my HDMI cable is 35') - both from http://www.octavainc.com/.

So the HDMI outputs go through the switch, then to the TV. Audio comes out on standard digital to the receiver.

Works quite well for me. The funny thing is that this exact topic (upconverting OPPO) is currently in play at my other usual forum, www.legacygt.com (for those with Subarus).

Well, I checked out the Oppo website tonight only to find that the DV-981HD is backordered. [:(]

But...what's this...factory refurbished players for only $183? And they're in stock?? Dang, where's my credit card!! [:)]

Needless to say, my Oppo is ordered and on its way. [Y]