300B Users

jcmusic

What's the EH gold grid 2A3's run for a pair?

Mike,

The Tube Store has them for $90 for a pair. I haven't looked around much to check other places, as I've gotten side tracked on a bunch of other things.

Bruce

Mike, what a fascinating tip. Had no idea something like that could be done. I'll ask my dad if the Hickok 600A he owns is capable of testing 300Bs.

Refering to the "going south" TJ 300B/n, I think it's fried! Several months ago when I first turned the amp on, the right TJ began to pulsate dim to bright, dim to bright, all the while humming through the loudspeaker loud to soft, etc. I immediately turned the amp off and flipped the bad 300B to the other socket (left), and the same bad tube repeated itself on the left channel once I turned the amp back on. I shut the amp off again and pulled the tubes, never to use 'em again (the other 300B/n is still fine...and I reckon for sale since I have no need for a single one).

Thanks guys for all the advice and pic's, I have decided to go with the EH Gold Grids. I wanted to try the ST shaped tube plus with the wedding this Saturday it is really all I can afford right now. New Quest Sound has them for $139.98 shipped and a 30 day warranty for the pair.

Jay

Ok, say the wanked mesh-plate has a real low emission reading. It's toast, doesn't work anymore. Take the filament voltage on the tester and bump it up from 2.5 volts, to about 3, to 3.5 volts and let it sit and cook for a hour. What's to lose? The tube is fried. You don't have to actually test it, just let it sit in the socket of the TT and cook with the higher set filament voltage.

This is done with CRT's with a big capacitor, to strip a layer off the cathode. There is a chance to revive the CRT, by stripping a poisoned cathode or contamination on the cathode layer/layers. There is also a chance to destroy the CRT, by going too far and stripping too much.

Wow , that IS a nice tip. Does it matter if you are running DC vs AC filament currents? What are you running?

Thanks

WopOnTour

"Had no idea something like that could be done. I'll ask my dad if the Hickok 600A he owns is capable of testing 300Bs."

The Hickok has a four pin socket, it should.......

Try it, you may be able to use that tube for a little longer. If not, oh well...the tube is fried......

WOT,

The emission tube testers used were a Jackson model # 648, and my old dodgy Heathkit. I would take a big guess and think the tube testers use DC for heating. My 2A3 amp is AC heated.

Allan, I always wanted Seti to get a pair of the WE's as his Canary 300B's were built on WE spec. Absolutely some of the finest wiring I've even seen in any amp period. I'd have to put them on quality of craftsmanship with the Jeff Rowland SS amps. The transistor wark inside a Rowland is a real thing of beauty[:D]

Jay, here is another shot of Seti's Canary's right after he got them[;)]

post-18681-13819321845962_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys I got the EH gold grids today, they have been playing for 2 hours. I know it is way to early to give a fair evaluation, but they don't sound that bad right out of the box. They are a bit harsh right now, hopefully they will settle down and in later on in life.

Rick I want to thank you for your time and advice, also everyone who gave there two cents. If these tubes get just a little better I am going to be very happy with them, especially the price. I will review later after they have had the chance to become whatever it is they will become.

Jay

• 1 month later...

OK guys it's time for a little review on the EH 300B Gold Grids. I will try to make this as short as I think I can. Let me say to start with the Sophia 300B mesh tubes sound just fine, I really like their sound no complaints about them at all. Now getting to the Gold Grids with about 130 hours on them they have really settled down. At first they were a bit harsh as expected, after a few hours they started to show promise. This description is my opinion on the sound in my system, it is not end all by no means. After the 85-100 hour mark the tubes had settled down quite nicely, they are a much more open sounding tube than the Sophia's are. They have a some what thinner sound in the top end, the bass is a tighter more compact sounding bottom. The mid range is open and quite clear, an almost in your face sound but not quite. I could go on and on but you will still have to hear them for your self, so I will put it like this for the ones who are familiar with this description. The Sophia's have a Mullard like sound to them, sweet, lush, and mid rangey. The Gold Grids have an Amperex sound to them, more open and airy with an extended top end. There is alot of sparkle in them as where the Sophia's are more about the midrange.

Anyway over all I really like the Gold Grids, and you cannot beat them for the price period. They also have the sound that I personally like myself which is a tight bottom with alot but not too much sparkle in the top end. I like my fair share of midrange don't misunderstand me in that respect, but too much of anything can ruin a good thing; and for me it's midrange. I like the top and bottom to be a little more than the middle, simply put.

Jay

..."Anyway over all I really like the Gold Grids, and you cannot beat them for the price period. They also have the sound that I personally like myself which is a tight bottom with alot but not too much sparkle in the top end. I like my fair share of midrange don't misunderstand me in that respect, but too much of anything can ruin a good thing; and for me it's midrange. I like the top and bottom to be a little more than the middle, simply put."

Great assessment on the Gold Grids, Jay. There's alot to be said for a "tight bottom", though...[;)]

Seriously, for the money these Electro Harmonix valves are virtually up there with the old school brands, i.e. Western Electric, Mullard, Tung-Sol, RCA, National, et al; looks like they're finally getting things right over there in the former Soviet Union! I guess when a NOS tube from those venerable brands isn't available, then the next best choice for new tubes is from EH!

For the money, Electro Harmonix Gold Grids can not possibly be beat. Stay away from the Valve Arts IMHO.

Parts Connexion, a very good vendor, has the GGs at a great price. $120/Pair. (scroll down)

http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/NewTubes.html

Rick

I agree with Rick, for the money these best bang, for buck....as for the best, a new pair of Alabama made western electrics, equal, and beat, most earlier, unless yu have the pre 1960's

Jim, I am glad you were able to pickup on this. I found the EH's to cater to my personal taste, I like the sound that they have.

Steve, I have not been able to afford a new pair of WE's, but it's coming. I just hope that they are half as good as they are suppose to be.

Jay