Archive your LP's with this

NOSValves

People do that (music in cars)? What will they think of next!

I like to focus on the music when I listen (like reading a book); never liked it as background or anything less than full on deliberate study.

OT: I was in a guitar store chain the other day. They were playing "kid music" in the ceiling speakers pretty loud. Since people go to guitar stores to listen to the guitars, it is really inappropriate for them to blast the background music. I was playing an electric and kept turning it up and up so I could hear it over the music. Finally, I asked the management to turn it down, at least while I was there. First they said they would, then they came back said they would not. I asked if they expected me to turn the amp up horribly loud. They offered to let me play it in a back room, but the music had to stay up and on. I told them I had never been in a guitar store that played background music and thought it was absurd to do so, then left with $800 in my pocket resolving never to go there again.

The music was obviously used to entertian the child employees... maybe they should consider wearing IPods or something.

Fini... I used to have one of those old rca record players in a 62 impala I used to own... Only played 45's, sounded like crap(just like the radio) and skipped with any minor bump..... I'm surprised that when these were around they didn't come up with some means of making steel records. those things are collectors items these days and fetch a pretty good price...

dave

I've seen both of those "conversion devices" in person, and man, do they look cheesy. Plastic platters and so on.

The story about the guitar store leads me down a few memory lanes...

Performance distraction #1 I was in a local record store a few years ago and noticed what appeared to be a band of teenagers setting up in a corner of the store. While they were trying to do a soundcheck the kids on duty in the store had the house system blazing away with some hip-hop, and I saw a man who appeared to be the band's manager in a spirited discussion with the "head kid" even up to the point when the band started playing. The poor lead singer looked like she was going through a wringer. Fortunately, the hip-hop soon died down - I don't think it ever went completely away. The band was "Sixpence None the Richer." They were quite good, considering the circumstances.

Performance distraction #2 I was at the St. Louis V. P. Fair over the July 4th weekend about 15 years ago, listening to Jasmine, a local jazz group, when the Marine Corps began demonstrating the flying characteristics of the latest Harrier jet about 200 yards away. After soldiering on for about thirty seconds over the roar, the lead singer leaned into the microphone and said "You know, this is pretty much our idea of Hell!"

Performance distraction #3 Our late German Shepherd Sadie had issues with strangers in general and little boys in particular, so the lady at dog school suggested we "socialize" her by taking her to public places and get her used to being around people. So I'd take her to outdoor band concerts. It usually went well until one evening we were sitting on the hill, enjoying the music, when I heard a kid behind me say, "Let's see who can run closest to the mean dog!" Sadie wanted to see who could run faster than the mean dog ... I kind of wanted to find that out, myself.

People do that (music in cars)? What will they think of next!

I like to focus on the music when I listen (like reading a book); never liked it as background or anything less than full on deliberate study.

OT: I was in a guitar store chain the other day. They were playing "kid music" in the ceiling speakers pretty loud. Since people go to guitar stores to listen to the guitars, it is really inappropriate for them to blast the background music. I was playing an electric and kept turning it up and up so I could hear it over the music. Finally, I asked the management to turn it down, at least while I was there. First they said they would, then they came back said they would not. I asked if they expected me to turn the amp up horribly loud. They offered to let me play it in a back room, but the music had to stay up and on. I told them I had never been in a guitar store that played background music and thought it was absurd to do so, then left with $800 in my pocket resolving never to go there again.

The music was obviously used to entertian the child employees... maybe they should consider wearing IPods or something.

I think someone is missing many of the other joys of music....... You know you really do not have to be 100% serious 150% of the time.

Craig

The most distraction I had in a car was one summer in college taking my girlfriend and her roommate to the Texas coast. As we got close to the beach, the roommate, who grew up in west TX and had never seen the ocean, began to change out of her clothes and into her bikini in the back seat. As we were driving through town I had my right hand on the rear view mirror and was chasing her naked body around the back seat. A station wagon in front of us chickened out crossing a late light and slammed on their brakes. I locked up my brakes and slide to a sreeeching halt inches behind. The sudden stop sent the naked roommate headfirst over the frontseat into the floorboard with her legs flayling out the moonroof. Because of the noise, everyone looked to see (and see they did!) as she made her naked way back into the rear seat to finish dressing- (She was a busty lass). I just grinned like a stud, drove on carefully, and we had a fine time at the ocean.

This device got horrible reviews in the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times.

I agree with PaulN: Why transfer in the first place? Listen to the record. Play other CDs in your car or listen to the radio. There are almost limitless other choices available and there's no good reason that anyone has to play in the car something that he has only on record.

The only exception being if you make a CDR of a rare LP that you've borrowed from someone--then it's okay. And then of course you wouldn't want to use this TEAC-POS.