Help please, from the Classical Buffs....

oldenough

Hi all, i'm hoping some of you classical lovers can put me on the right track. Although my musical tastes are very eclectic, my overriding passion is for the works of Tchaikovsky. So my question is,.. can any of you tell me what you would consider to be the finest performances of each of the six Symphonies, you can also include his Seventh if you regard it as a Bona Fide piece. I would also like to know if there is a complete collection of Symphonies that could be recommended. Thanks John...

I have a couple of CDs and a DVD that I like, and the old, grainy, mono Toscanini recording of the 6th ("Pathetique") that is full of fire where indicated. Some like that recording a lot for its great interpretation, although it's more a curiosity to me. I do not regard the following very incomplete discography as definitive!

My CDs in order of preference are:

Mravinsky conducting the Leningrad Philharmonic in symphonies 4, 5, and 6 -- DG 419 745-2.

Bernstein conducting the NY Philharmonic in Symphony no. 6, DG 419 604-2

The Bernstein interpretation is a lttle more theatrical, has a lot of passion on the surface at least, but is also a bit too segmented for my taste. The Mravinsky to me just has more sweep and sounds like a more integrated interpretation. It's plenty powerful in frenetic passages.

I also recommend the Herbert von Karajan DVD of the 6th , since I think there is great value in SEEING one of these great works performed as well as listening to it. The camera work is pretty good, and gives you a view of individual instruments as they are playing which you could never get from an audience seat! Great for eye-ear linkage of what you're hearing/seeing.

The Tchaikovsky symphonies are a very great set of masterpieces. Though you may be very familiar with them, I'll comment anyway -- the first 3 are less interesting, but have a lot of beautiful melodies and instrumentation that you'll like. He really takes off with the screamingly brilliant 4th -- an impassioned inspiration in the first movement, a definitive statement of melancholy in the second. a totally unique demonstration of pizzacato strings in the third, and powerhouse of frenzy in the last movement.

The 5th is pretty and joyous & all that, tho' the 2nd movement's great theme is the signature portion.

The 6th is a world-leading exposition of emotional desolation and despair. It's an integrated story in that respect from beginning to end -- it begins in the depths of low string bass notes, and ends there as well.

Hope this helps. By all means take others' recommendations at least this seriously -- hopefully Parrot will chime in.

Larry

These are ones that had won the Penguin Rossette awards (unanimous top reviews from three magazines)

Symph 3, .. -- BPO, Karajan. DG (M) 431-605-2.
PG91: rosette - ranks with the finest.

Symphonies 1-6; Capricio italien; Manfred Symphony -- Oslo PO, Jansons. Chandos CHAN 8672/8 (7).
PG90: rosette - outstanding; richly atmospheric sound.

Symphonies 2, 4 -- New Philh O, VPO, Abbado. DG (B) 429 527-1.
PG90: rosette - one of the supreme bargains of the current catalog.

Symphonies 4-6 -- Leningrad PO, Mravinsky. DG 419 745-2.
PG90: rosette - cannot be recommended too strongly.

Symphony 2, 4 -- New Philh O, VPO, Abbado. DG (M) 431 604-2.
PG91: rosette - supreme bargain.

Symphony 5; Onegin; Tatiana's letter scene -- LPO, Eilene Hannan, Sian Edwards. EMI (M) CD-EMX 2187.
PGB92: rosette - electrifying and warm-hearted reading.

Symphony 6; March slav -- Russian Nat. O, Pletnev. Virgin VC7 59661-2.
PG94: rosette - among the most vividly dramatic accounts in some years; a fine balanced recording.

Good Luck,

-Tom

I just dropped the needle on the 1958 Living Stereo of Pathetique - Reiner/Chicago. I remember vaguely studying the piece's place in history back in college, but am musically unfamiliar. Thanks for bringing it up.

The reduced noise floor and acceptability of high volume peaks in my basement room compared to the two rooms on the ground floor I've used in the past has helped me delve back into some of the "legit" treasures in my stacks.

My guru Mark just recently put up a webpage of his classical recommendations. We don't agree on every individual choice of course but he has extremely informed opinions and the most amazing music memory I've ever witnessed. Whereas sometimes I base my favorite on the cover art, Mark actually listens to the performance. If I had to buy anything without hearing it in advance, I would never hesitate if Mark recommended it.

His overall best choice for Tchaikovsky is Mariss Jansons / Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra on Chandos. It's just over a hundred bucks on amazon. (I see in PrestonTom's post above that this is also the Penguin recommended complete set.)

http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Complete-Symphonies-Pyotr-Ilyich/dp/B000000AID/sr=8-2/qid=1170442024/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-0508724-7961742?ie=UTF8&s=music

Mark's lists:

http://home.earthlink.net/~m9a9r9k/

Thanks Paul, exactly what i'm looking for, also thanks for the link to Marks list...John..

p.s, Out of interest, have you heard the "Seventh Symphony"? I would be interested in opinions on this work and its "place" in any discography of P,I Tchaikovsky. For me it stands as a fabulous piece on its own, but i understand there is some controversy regarding the work??.

I really like his violin concerto.

Yes, one of the very best. That brings up his famous Piano Concerto No. 1 (I've never heard any of the others), and the Penguin guide, to borrow a leaf from Preston T, gives the 1943 Toscanini-Horowitz a rosette. That recording is an acquired taste, having fire and fury like no other, but as a pre-tape shellac master is quite grainy. I have the SACD reissue of the 1958 stereo Van Cliburn-Kondrashin recording, and it's fabulous.

There are also the ballets -- the invention and musical variety of these are amazing, and you would do very well to get at least the abbreviated suites since you won't be watching them on a CD. I'm not sure the Penguin's Rosette is infalliable, but there appears to be an easy choice of Rostropovich conducting the Berlin PO in the 3 biggies -- the Nutcracker, Swan Lake, and Sleeping Beauty. You can't go wrong!!

You really should have a Serenade for Strings. I see that Parrot's colleague Mark gives first choice to Boni and the Concertgebouw. EDIT: The Gramphone Classical Guide speaks highly of a perf on Naxos by the Vienna Chamber Orchestra conducted by Entremont. Only $7.99 at Amazon, and it also includes the delectable Brahms Serenade No. 1.

There are also the great overtures or tone poems, such as Manfred, Romeo et Juliet, Francesca da Rimini, Hamlet. I don't have particular recommendations for those.

Larry

Thanks Larry, in fact i do have most of those recommendations and most of the symphonies as well as other works. I am certainly no expert on either Tchaikovsky or the Classics in general, i put them on the turntable and listen (strange concept Huh?) without much regard for who is performing. But as of late i have been wondering if i could get more from this wide genre, and Tchaikovsky in particular by looking for some selective works generally regarded as "must haves" for want of a better word. Thanks for your input, can i take from it that you are also something of an afficianado??

Uh, yeah. If you can read music reasonably well, here's something adventurous: buy the Dover score of Tchaikovsky's 4th, 5th and 6th symphonies, and follow along in the second and third movements of the Fourth, second mov't of the Fifth, and the first and last of the Sixth. Don't bother if you think it's too great a challenge. Garymd and I have used this technique together to better acquaint him with classical music.

That's why I suggest a DVD where you can see the orchestra's playing with good, close camera work. I think Karajan and the BPO also have a DVD of the Fourth, so maybe that's the one to look at first (I just have the Sixth). A LOT goes on all the time in classical, especially in Tchaikovsky.

Larry

LOL..Read music...I envy you and anyone else who can. One of my big regrets in life, even though i play guitar fairly well, and trumpet, keyboard, drums only in the privacy of my basement, i never got to grasps with the theory. Probably too old to try now, but i did encourage my children to take an interest, and my eldest daughter is very proficient with the clarinet, both in theory and practice, it always gives me a thrill to listen to her play. Me.. i just take a more primal approach to it, especially with Drums, hit em hard, hit em often...Very therapeutic...just ask my neighbours.

Paul-

Hey, great link to Mark's stuff.... I love some of his comments on recording, "so shrill that I had to sit in the next room just to tolerate it." I have stumbled across recording like this, so its nice to see someone actually makes comments like this and not the "happy happy" comments in Penguin's guide or other CD library book.

-Dave

Missed this thread first time around.

Good recommendations all. My personal favorites are his violin and piano concertos. I have an excellent Violin concerto on an audiophile version of a DG original with Tibor Varga and the Festival Orchestra under Jean-Marie Auberson. Wife listens to that one about once a week on average.

As for the Piano Concerto I have an Ashkenazy/London Symphony with Maazel conducting on a Jap version of a London Original (super analogue KIJC 9225). Peformance is great - but would you beleive the recording is actually not all that good?

My favorite First Piano is actually Philippe Entremont with the NY Phil and Bernstein conductiing. It is an old Columbia recording - mono - sound is a bit crunchy at times but still wonderful.

Actually as Larry mentioned it I also have the Piano Concerto No. 2 on Fontana with Nikita Magaloff on Piano and Colin Davis conductiing the London Symphony. frankly - rather a disappointing piece - no wonder the first is the one we all know.

All these responses and not a single Ballet rec? Stick to highlights and get a Swan Lake, Nutcracker or even Sleeping Beauty. Lots of choice performances/recordings out there.

Oh - Pathetique - Montreaux/Boston on living stereo - seems ok to me although I would agree the DG / Karajan version is a bit more.....lively?

Anyway - that will do - off to listen to the Pathetique now.....

Max-

I listened to the Montreaux/Boston #6 last night and it is a bit lean in the low strings compared to the Reiner/Chicago I mentioned earlier. I'm not familiar enough with the piece to comment on the interpretation, but prefer the 1958 Reiner by a fair margin for its more complete sonics.

Max-

I listened to the Montreaux/Boston #6 last night and it is a bit lean in the low strings compared to the Reiner/Chicago I mentioned earlier. I'm not familiar enough with the piece to comment on the interpretation, but prefer the 1958 Reiner by a fair margin for its more complete sonics.

Ben,

You could be right as I do not own the Reiner version. I just like the way Montreaux handles more laid back symphonies - funnily enough his Beethoven's 6th is also my favorite. I find Montreaux just gives the time to these pieces that they deserve. I tend to associate Reiner with more dramatic works - I adore his Sherherezade for example - but of course this is entirely in the realm of personal preference.

Suffice to say I too listened, as I said I would, to the piece last night and found it wonderful, haunting and a fabulous accompaniment to a good night's sleep that stayed with me throughout the night. The only problem I have is that my copy is a touch noisy so I do need to find another one anyway.