Trachorn install info

khorn#1

I received Alk trachorns today, starting to install them and noticed that the option is there to mount them with the tweeters mounted on the outside or mounted on the inside of each khorn or in other words the tweeter could be positioned left of the trachorn or right by flipping the motor board. Which would be better? Would call Al but it is pushing midnight in Maryland. I thought I read somewhere on this forum to mount them on the inside for best imageing. Thanks in advance for any info.

Randy

I would make the decision based on the main listening position. Towards the outside gives a wider stage, while in the middle gives a stronger central image. In both cases, reflections off the walls are going to be about the same due to the way the khorn sits in the corner. Won't it be a reversible mod? You might try it both ways and see how it goes...

My side walls are reflective with some window frames on left side and bare wall with a picture frame on the right side. It certainly made differences in with my Beymas positioned closer to the side walls (when I mounted them outside). The front wall (between two corners) having full curtains that had been bunched up in four different sections, the tweeters mounted inside benefited in my case. The sound from the tweeters got not only deflects some but the curtains also absorbes majority of direct reflected sounds from the tweeters mounted inside. I got better mileage...but yours might be different...

Guys,

Thanks for all the good advice on tweeter placement. Have another question, unscrewing the k - 55 off the k-401, the rubber gasket thats between the driver and the horn, do I need to use that gasket also when I install the driver on the trachorn? The gasket really looks oversized to the point of blocking a portion of the output screen on the k-55 which could block or limit some of the drivers performance. Thanks for any help.

Randy

Meagain,

I've took alot of pics as I've installed, did not take any of the trachorns in thier shipping box but , they were packed very well, I manage a shipping dept at work so I make note of packing jobs. It has taken me longer to install these because of the es networks, I've had to reposition and rewire a few connections to the networks because of the new trachorn motor board and then other issues like kids, wife,work and other duties around the house. I plan to be finished this evening and hopefully have some quality listening time. I will post plenty of pics shortly after then.

Dean,

Thanks for your help, after leaving a message last night, Al called me back and said not to use the rubber washer. He also heped me with some other questions I had. One of the comments he made was when I told him what Im running the squawker settings at ( 1-4 ), he said, thats where Dean runs his, a little on the hotter side. I know and Al agreed that the setting is a matter of preference and also the room setup and the fact I really like it a little hot in this area of the music. I'll see after several listening sessions if I need to lower it.

Thanks,

Randy

Got any pics of the install process or at least the trachs in the box? I'm curious about the packaging. :)

I dont have any pictures of them in the box, but as has been said they were very well packed and at least in the case of my Belles were very easy to install. See here for some photos of the installation

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/646243.aspx

Josh

Dean:

I put the orange rubber gasket in the Trachorn when I installed mine. I can see the original horn was cast aluminum and the driver also being metal, the rubber gasket was needed. But for the plastic Trachorn adapter, the metal driver can be installed without the gasket and have max opening.

If my guess above is right, I'll take then out!

For the packing of the Trachorn assembly, I had some issues and had informed Al with photos to correct for the future. Send me a PM if you want to know what had happend.

I would make the decision based on the main listening position. Towards the outside gives a wider stage, while in the middle gives a stronger central image. In both cases, reflections off the walls are going to be about the same due to the way the khorn sits in the corner. Won't it be a reversible mod? You might try it both ways and see how it goes...

I installed my Trachorns on the outside (tweeters-to-the-inside) for the very same reason... to "widen" the sound stage. With my mids going to 7,500 Hz, that means that the overwhelming percentage of the [audible-to-me] sound is coming from the mids; so, I wanted them spread as far as possible. At least that was my rationale (and I'm stickin' to it!). They sound super and image very nicely.

Rob