Galvestion Bay Area Hornhead now...

Mallette

Well, back again after, perhaps, my longest hiatus. I dropped off after, to my horror, disposing of Thebes CD player box he'd so kindly shipped those marvelous theatre organ records in. I owe you, Martin. I'll figure out proper penance at some point. That gaff was not all. I was in the midst of a major move (42,000 lbs, 3.5 vans) from the DFW area to Seabrook, TX. About half of that was trash I had no time to sort. Then, of course, months of living with boxes and trying to figure out why all that stuff would not fit into half again more space than it came from. Very strange.

However, things are finally looking up. The PAW (Pefect Audiophile Wife, in case you've forgotten) allowed me to rip out the closet in one bedroom and re-configure as a dedicated listening room. It is smallish, about 16X 14.5 or so, but still within PWK's limits and the sound and imaging are pretty phenomenal. I'll update my system profile once I post this, so I won't go into everything equipage wise here except to mention my two latest acquisitions. First, a VPI Scout with Grado. Here I could certainly use some tweaking help from a local audio guru in exchange for all the beer, scotch, kool-aid, or whatever you prefer to drink and all the listening you can stand. Even with my poor attempts at such the sound is absolutely breath taking and far more significant than I anticipated. Part of the reason for that is my other acquisition, a DBX 4BX. I used a 117 for 25 years, then obtained a 3BX a few years ago. The 4BX is extraordinary and the impact restoration downright frightening at times.

I also acquired a 36" HD LCD monitor, ostenisbly for the MBS6 music server but also hooked to cable. While the room is PREDOMINATELY for listening, I must say I've grown rather fond of 5 channel sound with 'horns, cornie, and Frazier rears. Watched "Gods and Generals" last night, then Rome on HBO. Wow.

I'll try to post a panorama of the room soon.

Anywho, I've a bit of catching up to do here but glad to be back.

Kind regards to all, old and new,

Dave

Welcome back Dave...the more the merrier. Lot of Texans on the forum...WPM, Wardsweb, and DWILawyer come to mind. The forum can certainly become addictive and try as I might to limit my time I just have to see whats being discussed at least once a day. Congrats on the VPI and being content with your system. I am pretty content with my system but have found thats not a place you stay for long....always something to tweak.

BTW...always wanted a job that paid bonuses! Enjoy your grill.

Chuck

Well, the company has enjoyed better than 200% growth in stock value in the past 3 years, and still going up. Keep buying that gasoline...

I am sure something will temp me. I had my eye on an Alesis CD/HDD recorder on Audiogon, but just couldn't justify it at the moment as my main interest in it was for "alibi" duty when recording. Since I've no stable here to record yet and don't know when I will have one, that seemed a bit of a stretch.

Anybody know any Houston acoustic groups or pipe organs needing an anal ol' audio freak to record them?

Also still need to get that VPI tweaked...

Dave

• Moderators

Mallette,

I remember you from before you dropped out, I was just getting started. Welcome back! Are you recording anything through that DBX4, or just for playback? I do a lot of reel to reel recording and have always considered a 4 but have not had a chance to explore it enough.

Travis

My Box! Lordy, lordy my box is gone!

We had so much fun together. I'd throw some foam peanuts
and off it would tear after them like a crazed puppy with it's tongue
hanging out. I remember our nights playing with bubble wrap
together (I'd always eat a bowel of chili beforehand and cheat).
At night I'd tuck into a nice warm closet and sing UPS fight songs to
it.

Oh I miss my box, but lately I've had my eye on dog-eared, scruffy old suitcase from my college days.

Welcome back.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to SE Texas. I am just a few miles up Red Bluff Road from you on the edge of Pasadena. I am just getting really serious with this madness we call hi-fi. I cannot tweak your TT, but I CAN bring YOU some beer, scotch, kool-aid, or whatever in exchange for lots of listening. [:P]

Send email through the Forum and we can hook up.

Rick

Dave...Did you happen to see the article on recording pipe organs that John Marks wrote in Stereophile magazine a while back? I will try to find it and give you a shout.

Hey Travis...how is the weather out your way. Looking forward to 58 degrees here wednesday..will seem like a heat wave.

Guys...I am going to hang up the pc for now...good chatting with you both.

Chuck

Martin, Rick, Tarheel...thanks.

Martin: Didn't see but would be quite interested in anything on pipe organs.

Rick: It's a date. I work 10/5. Next time off begins a week from Friday. Anybody else in the area? Let's do it...

Martin: I f... it and threw it in the river. (I've been watching Rome)

Dave

Okay ....one last word and Iam reallly getting off the pc. I found the article..the October issue of Stereophile. Marks is in Rhode Island at the old Narragansett church reputed to house the oldest pipe organ in north america...the organ contains wooden bass pipes that date back to 1640. He is recording using a Sound Devices 722 (a hard disk based high resolution portable recorder, $2650), Tascam DV-RA1000, and Grace 201.

If you are interested in reading the article (about 4 pages) I can mail you a copy. Email me at cblackwelder@hcpplanning.com with your mailing address and I will put it in the mail.

Chuck

Dave,

Good to have you back. I always liked your take on things. I still regret missing the Spankers when they came through Buffalo.

Good choice on the Scout. I've had no desire to make a move since getting mine. I think it's a great value. The only real tweak I've done is remove the little grab bar from the arm. I dialed it in with a HiFi News test record and check it now and again. Yours came with the set-up jig, right?

Still playing with 78s?

Ben: Yes, there was a mounting jig. Had to guess tracking weight (though it was pretty close once measure) and I've yet to figure out how to do anything that appears meaningful by twisting the wires to apply anti-skate. That said, I've never heard better LP sound.

As to 78's, you bet. I spend about half my listening time with them. I love raw Delta blues, Prohibition dirty jazz, and sonic time tripping in general. The sound from some of these things is excellent by today's standards (possible exception of surface noise) and re-recordings, no matter how carefully made, simply do not do them justice. I still maintain those who cannot get beyond "clicks and pops," a bit of technical hassle, or surface noise to the MUSIC are equipment, not music lovers. Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Dave

The JMW arm is a bit fiddly in that every time you adjust tracking weight, you've got to check (and probably adjust) azimuth as well. The way my fingers work, it was more chance and patience than any skill. I'd strongly suggest getting the HiFi news test record. It made set up much easier for me. I forget exactly where I ended up with tracking weight, but is on the higher end of the Glider's recommended range. Not much anti-skate force applied. Twisting the wires doesn't make much of a difference, but it is verifiable if you use the test record.

What are using to play the 78s?

"I've yet to figure out how to do anything that appears meaningful by twisting the wires to apply anti-skate. That said, I've never heard better LP sound."

Dave - I too have a Scout and found that the HI-FI test record was very helpful in adjusting the anti-skate. Twisting wires is a strange way to adjust anti-skate, but is actually more effective than I originally thought it would be. I'm one of those people who prefer vinyl over cds, but unfortunately I can't stand "clicks", "pops", and other surface noise. Its distracting to me. I can listen to noisy records for "business" - to appreciate historical or theoretical/compostitional attributes, but for pure pleasurable listening, I have to have a record without pops or surface noise. And, welcome back!

Bill: As I mentioned, unavoidable noise issues, such as wear, ticks, pops and such are of no consequence to me when the music is good. I find myself increasingly drawn to them old 78's as they often provide entre to realms that are otherwise lost completely. Don't have a test record of the type you mention. Still have an old Command Stereo Checkout disk that is in excellent condition.

Ben:I have an Empire 598 Mk IV with a Grado for the 78's along with a TTC premp with switchable RIAA/78 curves. They do a heckuva job.

Dang, Paul. Wish I'd thought about you around Christmas. I'd love to dug through those stacks but discretionary income will not be until mid-year bonus again (this company is REALLY drilling).

Dave