NOSValves "new" stereo amplifier review...

shelby1420

Hi all, I am the fellow that originally bought Craig's "prototype" stereo amplifier about a year ago with the idea in mind to give a listen and offer any suggestions towards the finished product. About two months ago Craig called me up and informed me that he was ready to build the finished product and asked for my input. Craig also asked if I would be interested in the finished product ( does a bear shit in the woods kept running through my head when he asked.......) HELL YEAH!!! First thing I noticed when I went to meet Craig to pick it up (thanks for that Craig, don't trust the Gorillas at the shipping companies) was the size of the irons on this thing, easily double the prototype, easier access to the bias adjusters and about an inch and a half taller!! We flipped them both over and swapped bottom panels so I got to have a good look of both of them side by side--everything was bigger and extremely clean and neat, even neater then the prototype!!! System used for this was the same as with the prototype:
Ohm I speakers 90db
Bottlehead Foreplaylll Pre with optional upgrades ( with Mundorf Silver and oil output caps)
Bottlehead Seduction Phono with optioanl upgrades ( also with Mundorf Silver and oil coupling & output caps)
Sansui SR 929 TT with SME lll with Shure V15V-MR cartridge.
I decided to put on one of my all time favs along with a glass of red - Zeppelin lll
Holy friggin tight clear and defined bass, the Ohm I's have a built in sub 12 inch that take a fair bit of convincing to move..... as good a job as the prototype did in the bass department this amplifier is quicker faster deeper and definitely with more thumping controlled bass!!! While the bass was a great addition to an already great amplifier I think the thing that has had a longer lasting impression on me is how "clean" everything seems to sound now.... my second album ( all albums, very rarely listen to cd's anymore) was John Lee Hooker - Serves you right to suffer-- Again, when bass was needed this amp delivered[Y] with absolute ease, never seeming to be pushing or straining. Again though the thing that really struck me was how clean it sounded, while closing my eyes I could almost see Johnny strumming away, each one of the " strings" on his guitar vibrating with each stroke!!! I have been listening to this amp for the past 2 and a half weeks and every day love it more and more, great bass, silky smooth mids and highs that do not make me wanna turn it down!!!! Thus far I have only listened to it in A/B, I have not tried straight class A yet ( in my mind there is no need at this time......) I am currently breaking in a pair of back loaded horns (Fostex 206E design) so sometime in the near future I may run this amp in triode mode( if this is the wrong terminology, hopefully Craig will come in and sort it all out.....) but for now I'm gonna give two thumbs way up for this finished NOSValves amplifier!!!!

Rick

Shelby, I appreciate your sharing a review of Craigs new baby with us.

For those unaware of this. I'ts a stereo amplifier with Craig's
signature very clean sound and designed to handle almost any power tube
you can throw at it. In other words, a tube rollers dream with
big bad boy transformers and point-to-point wiring.

Craig was nice enough to share extensive particulars of this
beauty in the following thread, including some above and under shots
starting on page four of the thread.

I would love to hear this in
person. It's also my understanding that orders have already come
in with production (translated: Craig with a soldering iron) starting
very soon.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/847383.aspx

Rick,

Thanks for the review! I'm glad your enjoying the amp.

My website will be updated with the amp after I build the first actual production version. The metal work will be punched and laser cut next week by are own Scott Anderson's company Everhard products. No sense putting up inaccurate phtoto's of the product. Rick was suppose to wait for the final product but he prefers the hammertone finish so he prodded me into selling him the final proto type. Here is a link to the thread that documented the entire build up over the hollidays http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/6/855523/ShowThread.aspx with lots of pictures.

Below are picture of his exact amp as I was running it in my system. The far left tubes have test sockets installed under the tubes for tweaking and monitoring purposes.

KT88.JPG

Thought I would add a shameless plug. The preorder discounted price for these amps is still active until the end of this month. March first is the target date to start building all the initial orders. So its not to late to get an additional $250 off beyond my normal forum discounted pricing for pre orders. All that is required is a $500 deposit to lock in the price and delivery is nogitiable on your personal financial needs for the balance. (I can delay building your amplifier based on your ability to pay the balance.)

The only difference between the above amp and the final production will be stainless flat metal material as a standard finish (like VRD's) but custom painting of the flat metal and transformer end bells is an option and all NOS Valves amplifiers.

Well I try to keep such things off the forum but I guess I might just as well post it . The amp will MSRP at $2199 members forums I frequent and previous customer will get a $250 discount off this as always. For this pre-order I'm giving an additional $250 off. So end cost until March 1st is $1699 plus shipping. The $500 deposit locks in the price you name the delivery date within reason (meaning no three years down the road) [;)]

Craig

Hi all, I am the fellow that originally bought Craig's "prototype" stereo amplifier about a year ago with the idea in mind to give a listen and offer any suggestions towards the finished product. About two months ago Craig called me up and informed me that he was ready to build the finished product and asked for my input. Craig also asked if I would be interested in the finished product ( does a bear shit in the woods kept running through my head when he asked.......) HELL YEAH!!! First thing I noticed when I went to meet Craig to pick it up (thanks for that Craig, don't trust the Gorillas at the shipping companies) was the size of the irons on this thing, easily double the prototype, easier access to the bias adjusters and about an inch and a half taller!! We flipped them both over and swapped bottom panels so I got to have a good look of both of them side by side--everything was bigger and extremely clean and neat, even neater then the prototype!!! System used for this was the same as with the prototype:

Ohm I speakers 90db

Bottlehead Foreplaylll Pre with optional upgrades ( with Mundorf Silver and oil output caps)

Bottlehead Seduction Phono with optioanl upgrades ( also with Mundorf Silver and oil coupling & output caps)

Sansui SR 929 TT with SME lll with Shure V15V-MR cartridge.

I decided to put on one of my all time favs along with a glass of red - Zeppelin lll

Holy friggin tight clear and defined bass, the Ohm I's have a built in sub 12 inch that take a fair bit of convincing to move..... as good a job as the prototype did in the bass department this amplifier is quicker faster deeper and definitely with more thumping controlled bass!!! While the bass was a great addition to an already great amplifier I think the thing that has had a longer lasting impression on me is how "clean" everything seems to sound now.... my second album ( all albums, very rarely listen to cd's anymore) was John Lee Hooker - Serves you right to suffer-- Again, when bass was needed this amp delivered[Y] with absolute ease, never seeming to be pushing or straining. Again though the thing that really struck me was how clean it sounded, while closing my eyes I could almost see Johnny strumming away, each one of the " strings" on his guitar vibrating with each stroke!!! I have been listening to this amp for the past 2 and a half weeks and every day love it more and more, great bass, silky smooth mids and highs that do not make me wanna turn it down!!!! Thus far I have only listened to it in A/B, I have not tried straight class A yet ( in my mind there is no need at this time......) I am currently breaking in a pair of back loaded horns (Fostex 206E design) so sometime in the near future I may run this amp in triode mode( if this is the wrong terminology, hopefully Craig will come in and sort it all out.....) but for now I'm gonna give two thumbs way up for this finished NOSValves amplifier!!!!

Rick

10 months of refinements appear to be worth the wait.

Put me in the queue Craig.