Getting a pr of LaScala's this weekend

NJbob

Looking for opinions on my amp's, I have three.

Fi X 2a3 SET - I'm very happy with this on my Fostex BLH.

Mint Dynaco ST70 - mallard 5ar4, matched JJ el34's, old but good GE 7199's new biger can cap

Oddesy Mono amp's - 185 watts high current.

I'm pretty sure the Fi will soound best, but i'm thinking the ST70 extra power would be nice for the headroom. I was also looking at the Tubes for HIFi board upgrade on this amp...or to trade it for a AR clasic 60, Quick siver mini mites or some other high end amp within reason (Under 1000)

Any and all sudgestions welcome and appriciated

Thanks

New to the forum

Bob

Where are you located?

If your local to NYC, your welcome to hear some LaScala's with tubes or SS.  I have an SS pure class A amp that boast a signal to noise ratio of 106 with a sound that will flat out amaze anyone.  Point being if you go SS, try to get an amp that operates in class A mode.

Becareful on ST70's.  Unless some work was put into them your talking some humm, buzz issues.

Consider the Quicksilver Horn Monos...specifically designed for horn speakers. You may have to be patient and keep your eye on Audiogon for awhile. I paid $900 about a year ago ($1699) retail. Go to QuicksilverAudio.com and click on horn monos. There is a link to the Stereophile Magazine review.

That said ...I don't know why any of your amps wouldn't be fine with your new new LS. A lot of forum members use the Dynacos as well as vintage Fisher and Scott amps and integrated gear.

I suggest you experiment with what you've got for a while and enjoy your speakers.

Chuck

The Fi X is an absolute gem. It's a really cool design and a killer sounding little amp. I'm not really a SET guy, but I like Don Garber's amps. It should be a sweet match for the LS.

If you ever want to sell it, offer it up here first.[;)]

That said, the Quicksilvers sounded very, very nice in Chuck's setup when I heard them a few weeks ago. Definitely something to consider.

I have Quicksilver mini-monos (not horn monos) and they are a very fine amp. Mid range is sweet and it has good extension. The Quicksilvers can play loud but lack some weight of big amps. The minis are more of a fine red wine than a shot of Jack Daniels. You might want more power to give the speakers some punch.

Thanx, Russ