These are extemely cool looking, but at $60K a pair...

Rockets

I won't be buying any, but I do love the look

http://reviews.cnet.com/JBL_Project_Everest_DD66000/4660-6467_7-6683334.html

These make the Jub's a bargain. Still you have to give them credit for not being afraid to bring a 300 pound gorilla to the market filled with cute little cubes and Ipods. Yeah, I know at $60K it's a different market.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were a few posts on this here when JBL released this initially. And yeah, the 60K market IS a bit different market than even THIS forum, where I and most here "play", yet I am thrilled that JBL is still doing this kind of product development. This is good for our hobby. If the technology/things learned from this trickle down to models that mortals like us can afford, that's a good thing, as well as continuing to push the envelope regarding new designs. It's things like this that give me future hope for our hobby.

Jacksonbart.....You dont need transparentcy for woofs it moves plenty of air. The mid driver in the Everest is so good its flat to 20k...The tweet. greg Timbers said was for show. It really didnt need it. But the market over in Japan called for it. They threw a towel over the tweeter & nobody could hear the difference.

If you want to play with the big boys you,v gotta stop wearing shorts. You dont need super duper subwoofers with good fullrange speakers....Why the bellyaching over the bass when most of the music is above 40hz & the music details is in the mids plus all instrument harmonics is above 5k hz.

If you want to play with the big boys you,v gotta stop wearing shorts. You dont need super duper subwoofers with good fullrange speakers....Why the bellyaching over the bass when most of the music is above 40hz & the music details is in the mids plus all instrument harmonics is above 5k hz.

you are an ***

If only I was an NBA star...

Glad you're not...would hate for someone to pay $60K to just to play cRAP on them.....[*-)]

Still think these are sweet to look at...I guess I'll have to wait for D-Man and jwcullison to come up with a near clone with a pair of K-33's [:)]

What a wild design. I can't seem to find any more info on the JBL website, or anywhere online for that matter except this review:
http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/jbl-everest-dd66000.php

Jay - why in the world would you question the size of the ports??? You really think a team of JBL engineers are going to overlook such a trivial detail in an overly expensive flagship speaker? There is no need to way over-engineer everything (not to mention there are actually losses associated with making the ports bigger - especially when you're worried about higher frequency reproduction). I also wouldn't get hung up on terminology - calling the second driver a subwoofer is technically correct anyway, but what they're talking about is no comb-filtering with dual drivers - basically the same thing Klipsch refers to as a "tapered-array".

I'm sure these are wonderful, in their way...but what I know of the drivers and manufacturing the mark up (i.e. profit margin) is an outrage. I guess these were priced at "what the market will bear". In fairness, the new Beveridges are $65K. I can't recall what the Infinity IRS sold for, I think it was about $20K back in the late 70s. I wonder if any of this ultra-gear the Japanese audiophiles buy ever ends up on ebay or is it kept and passed from generation to generation. I think the K-horn 60th anniversary model was also primarily created for, and sold in the overseas market.

What a wild design. I can't seem to find any more info on the JBL website, or anywhere online for that matter except this review:

http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/jbl-everest-dd66000.php

Jay - why in the world would you question the size of the ports??? You really think a team of JBL engineers are going to overlook such a trivial detail in an overly expensive flagship speaker? There is no need to way over-engineer everything (not to mention there are actually losses associated with making the ports bigger - especially when you're worried about higher frequency reproduction). I also wouldn't get hung up on terminology - calling the second driver a subwoofer is technically correct anyway, but what they're talking about is no comb-filtering with dual drivers - basically the same thing Klipsch refers to as a "tapered-array".

it just looked really small for the body. I didn't say it was not adequate enough I just said it looked small in the video which was also small to judge.

The ports are 6 inchers to me in the linked post above.

I hate when terminology is misinterpreted all the time. Get it correct or atleast cnet should, they are or supposedly are "experts" in getting the story right.

Everybody is in expert except the experts.....The Everest II in Japan sold 350 up to Jan. 100 more on back order. The ports are adequate, JBL released a white paper on the design of the Everest II and explains everything. JAN you dont know me, I suggest you curb your tongue.