These are extemely cool looking, but at $60K a pair...

Rockets

I have no clue what happened between Maron and Jay but we are just talking about JBL's new version of their old 300 Summits! Personally I'd rather save myself $20,000.00 and pick up a pair of B&W Nautilus's! Better yet I could save $47,000.00 and pick up a pair of 60th anni's! I have owned and loved all my past JBL's but I don't think you could show or prove to me that these new ones are $47,000.00 better than 60th's period.

So how many pair will they sell a year?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some nice pics. Be sure to click on the rest of the Tokyo Trip galleries!

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12172

WOW! Thanks for the link. I had no Idea what was under the hood. Pretty impressive actually. They probably get $3k for the crossovers alone. Got a chuckle out of the blue electrolytics though.

Wow, Jay123456 decided to take on Maron - with his education, experience and expertise. Especially regarding JBL speakers - of all the topics to engage Maron in.

I'm pulling up a chair tonight and grabbing some popcorn. This should be fun.

Carl.

P.S. Wonder if Klipsch properly sized the ports on the RF-83??

Man, this is shaping up better than the time Robin Ventura(Chicago White Sox) decided he was going to beat up Nolan Ryan's(Texas Rangers?) right fist. After all, Robin was a 20-something young buck, and Nolan was a mid fourties over the hill Geritol advertiser.

The umps felt so bad that Ryan had to whip the young kid's adz that they didn't even kick Ryan out for being in the fight.

Carl, pass me the popcorn.

BTW, Jay, FWIW, Maron has done just about everything with JBL speakers you can do without being arrested...for over fourty years. In engineering terms, he is one of three or four JBL "subject matter experts" we have on the Klipsch forum. You will end up in a tree howling for Mommy before you will best Maron in JBL knowledge, general repartee, or slammage, so it would be best for you to put on a pink tutu and acquiesce. Otherwise, let me run to the store and pick up some peanuts and beer for Act II.

it just looked really small for the body. I
didn't say it was not adequate enough I just said it looked small in
the video which was also small to judge.

those ports seem way too small!!!

So too small can still be adequate enough? Why make the comment??? [*-)]

I hate when terminology is misinterpreted all the time. Get it correct
or atleast cnet should, they are or supposedly are "experts" in getting
the story right.

Pray tell, what is your
definition for subwoofer? And what is the point you're trying to make
by the comment?

Wow, Jay123456 decided to take on Maron - with his education, experience and expertise. Especially regarding JBL speakers - of all the topics to engage Maron in.

I'm pulling up a chair tonight and grabbing some popcorn. This should be fun.

Carl.

P.S. Wonder if Klipsch properly sized the ports on the RF-83??

I believe my name is 481985

I guess I cannot make a comment then? yes gestapo

the story right.

Pray tell, what is your

by the comment?

I hate when people always say that this speaker has a built in subwoofer etc etc even though the speaker is actually a woofer that may be misinterpreted for a subwoofer. Subwoofers are designed a bit differrently as they should not be capable of the range a woofer does.

[^o)]

also i think he said subwoofer in the speaker..... yuck.....

Please,I think JBL's design team knows what port size is ideal for speakers they designed. They know best what is best for their speakers BETTER than anybody else. [:D]

Better than DrWHO,DR Hsu,Dr Feelgood,Dr Jay,Dr BASH and Dr Kavorkian and me ...and I had a dream ...of being a doctor...TheEAR! LOL

Even Dr Chemichal Ali(was he a doctor) prescribed the use of mustard gas. Even HE cannot question JBL. How dare you. How dare you.

My goodness we're hostile the last two nights. What gives?

I guess I cannot make a comment then? yes gestapo

I was just pointing out that according to how you later redefined your terms that you effectively said nothing....ya know "much ado about nothing" etc etc...just wondering if you had a point or simply spilling words randomly onto the screen?

the story right.

Pray tell, what is your
by the comment?

I hate when people always say that this speaker has a built in subwoofer etc etc even though the speaker is actually a woofer that may be misinterpreted for a subwoofer. Subwoofers are designed a bit differrently as they should not be capable of the range a woofer does.

This is how merriam-webster defines subwoofer:

a loudspeaker responsive only to the lowest acoustic frequencies

The definition is a bit general, but allow me to reference a few hundred pro audio subwoofers that are responsive over the low range of 50-150Hz. They would still be called subwoofers if we dragged them into a home audio environment and the one JBL driver digs even lower. But more importantly, that driver doesn't operate at "high" frequencies either. In other words, the general term of subwoofer is more than applicable to describing the behavior of the driver.

Now if you've got a different definition, then you have but to name it....but even then, your attempts at trying to draw a line about the performance are a bit weak. You are arguing semantics and nothing about the drivers or the speaker in question. You might as well talk about how the fly sitting on top of the speaker doesn't have enough excursion (though that's prob a good thing - nobody wants flies crapping on a speaker). [:)]

Normally I wouldn't be so annoying like this, but you're being crazy hostile lately. Perhaps reread what you write from the perspective of your reader?

Where's the ducking head smiley?

[8-|]

Hmmm.......Ear weighs in. Grabbing the popcorn and the peanuts.....

Jay90210, 90125, 8675309,etc. Do you have a retort?

Carl.

Stop or he will quote you ...in his usual CHARACTERE GRAS smudge. [8-|] Woopie,good to have fun sometimes.

The doctor is in the house! Dr what?Dr where? ah the doctor is here Its DrWHO injecting some medicine in Jay911. [Y]

The Everest II Bass design is simmiler to the JBL 4435...The low end is formidable having qualities that discourage approach or attack. The Mid driver 476 & woofers 1501AL xover at 700hz.,one woofer blends with the mid driver and the other second woofer operates in the bass frequency from below 30 hz to around 150hz where it is rolled off at a gradual 6db per octive. the first order slope ensures proper amplitude and phase between the two woofers over the total operating range. both woofers operate below 150hz, but only one of them extend up to 700hz xover point this to achieve proper directivity control throughout the entire woofer operating range. Above 700hz the HF driver and horn operate up to 20Khz. But the best part Is the high frequency 476be driver,,,It has a sound quality simmiler to an electrostatic speaker.. The basic design of the 476 is drawn from the 2450 (that i have) but goes farther with 4" beryllium diaphram, Rare earth neodymium magnet flux density of about 18,000 gauss. special acoustis vents are machined into the top plate, directly under the diamond surround to control chamber resonence. Phase plug is of a coherent wave 4 slot design.This driver is good to 20Khz & xovers to a super tweeter 045be, & is smooth out to 50Khz ...Oh by the way the ports are tuned to 34hz.

I'm sure I'll never get the pleasure of hearing these, but I would sure like the opportunity. Speakers like these and the B&W Nautilus and the Wilson's and the Avantgarde's and others just intrigue the hell outta me.

As for Jay.....well, one doesn't get to over 7900 posts commenting on everything under the sun (all, might I add, at the ripe old age of 20 maybe) without being the proverbial know-it-all. Personally, I think Jay is ok with the exception of his one major personality flaw - the inability to graciously eat crow and admit when he's wrong. I suspect Jay never was able to play basketball 'cause of that little thing you have to do when a foul is called on you. You know....that raise your hand in acknowledgement of being wrong and accepting the foul call. [;)] Should be interesting to watch Jay in action when he enters the real world where respect is won more times by admitting your wrong than by arguing with a fence post. (sigh) Alas.....he's young and will have to bump his nose a few times to get it. But I'm sure he'll learn. [:)]

Tom

I'm sure I'll never get the pleasure of hearing these, but I would sure like the opportunity. Speakers like these and the B&W Nautilus and the Wilson's and the Avantgarde's and others just intrigue the hell outta me.

As for Jay.....well, one doesn't get to over 7900 posts commenting on everything under the sun (all, might I add, at the ripe old age of 20 maybe) without being the proverbial know-it-all. Personally, I think Jay is ok with the exception of his one major personality flaw - the ability to graciously eat crow and admit when he's wrong. I suspect Jay never was able to play basketball 'cause of that little thing you have to do when a foul is called on you. You know....that raise your hand in acknowledgement of being wrong and accepting the foul call. [;)] Should be interesting to watch Jay in action when he enters the real world where respect is won more times by admitting your wrong than by arguing with a fence post. (sigh) Alas.....he's young and will have to bump his nose a few times to get it. But I'm sure he'll learn. [:)]

Tom

Tom you know where I got the 7900 posts... In the promedia section, helping people out. Also I guess you cannot count since the number is my birthday. hmm that makes me almost 22, 2007-1985 hmmmm...... Watch when the real world I have entered it. I guess a jaded person like you can only say that since the world passed you by. Also hmm basketball, not my thing. I played Football.

Wanna know why I called Maron Horanzak an ***. cause he said

, "If you want to play with the big boys you,v gotta stop wearing shorts." I don't get where the **** he got that from but what I said was just stating something I saw and thought and he goes and says that comment. Why am I hostile, because he was to me first.

I wish you came in before... I came in just laughing it off as 60000 dollar speakers are more novelty then anything else. I just make some comment and I get jumped and pounded all over. What, I can't say well omg where is the gold plated, platinum wiring, esoteric everything on speakers we mostly will dream of let alone owning one.

Above 700hz the HF driver and horn operate up to 20Khz. But the best part Is the high frequency 476be driver,,,It has a sound quality simmiler to an electrostatic speaker.. The basic design of the 476 is drawn from the 2450 (that i have) but goes farther with 4" beryllium diaphram, Rare earthneodymium magnet flux density of about 18,000 gauss. special acoustis vents are machined into the top plate, directly under the diamond surround to control chamber resonence. Phase plug is of a coherent wave 4 slot design.This driver is good to 20Khz & xovers to a super tweeter 045be, & is smooth out to 50Khz ...Oh by the way the ports are tuned to 34hz.

You've kind of hurt the feelings of my Altec 290-16K's here...I think they feel rather inadequate now[:(] FOUR inches to 1.4" pretty incredible, especially given its extention. Thanks for the info.

So, uhhh, has JBL thrown down the ole' gauntlet here? Is Klipsch going to respond? Or are they going to let all five foot two of Gina Harman walk over them like this? (5' 4" with heels) Seriously, I never knew High End audio was so popular in Japan. Guess I'll have to start monitoring Ebay Japan...