When seeking recommendations on new audio equipment . . .

Parrot

Silence is not lying.

Agreed silence in itself isn't lying.

But if someone lets say ask me for example: Do the Highs sound edgy to you? and I'm listening to the system at the same time with them then I'm going to give them my honest opinion and we might try several things to see if we can figure out why it does to them. At least I can account for many variables in this situation.

What I wouldn't do is assume I've got all the answeres when I'm at a computer in another state! and just start recommending all kinds of equipment and modifications because I just don't have enough information.

I'm curious about something and would like to ask this question?

I take it from several post now from several people that Paul's room/system is very good sounding (maybe exceptional) so what is in his Klipschorns as far as drivers and crossovers?

I ask this because I have heard stock Klipschorns in really good rooms sound exceptional and one would wonder why anyone would feel the need to modify them? Maybe some mods can help Klipschorns play better in more rooms( ie:different horns or crossovers with different slopes and thus lobing effects that interact with the room in different ways) but the point is the room is an integral part of any modification and thus not all mods will be good in all situations because of the room variable.

mike tn[:)]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not the same thing. Not telling the bank they screwed up and gave you an extra $500 is not the same as simply not telling someone you don't like their system.

Dean is simply following the common courtesy of "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all."

The is not lying and that is not a sin.

Or Dean simply has experienced first hand that 'anything he says can and will be used against him.' ;)

Shawn

maybe there's a spin doctor in the house.

Mark Twain, from his essay: "On the Decay of the Art of Lying"

Among other common lies, we have the silent lie -- the deception which one conveys by simply keeping still and concealing the truth. Many obstinate truth-mongers indulge in this dissipation, imagining that if they speak no lie, they lie not at all.

Withholding a vital piece of information which could significantly alter a decision is called lying by omission.

On the other hand, there are no absolute truths either, so in the spirit of honesty an ounce of wisdom helps to put the true value of an opinion into proper context.

I recall Sgt. Schultz to be a good hearted man after all.

"Withholding a vital piece of information which could significantly alter a decision is called lying by omission. "

He is withholding his own opinion, on a decision that was already made,... nothing more.

Coming soon.... audio reviews administered with Sodium thiopental, thumb screws and polygraphs... you will talk....

Shawn

Well, if I was walking around all day with a booger on my nose and no one told me - I would be ticked off at every person. Craig would tell me immediately (ok - and laugh too), but I'd rather hear it and would appreciate both the b*lls and honesty of such a person. And would put said person in the "nice person" category.

Not saying anything is dishonest if you know the thing in question has real problems -- like mechanical or electrical issues that impedes performance or makes it unreliable or unfit for use. If it's just related to the sound in the sense that it didn't necessarily float your boat then I don't think you have to say anything if you don't want. Like Shawn said, most of those type posts typically aren't very helpful anyways -- one person will say they liked it a lot and you should buy it, another will say they didn't like it and you shouldn't buy it. Then of course the plethora of alternative recommendations from everyone else. Specifically in the context of my original statement in the other thread -- if a person says they are going to buy one of Al's or BEC's networks -- I'm not bound on any level to discuss what I heard or think about them on the forum. Any hint of negativity just smacks of self serving interest and makes for bad feelings in the relationships I attach value to. There are plenty of folks around here than can render opinions on those products -- so keeping my mouth shut isn't hurting anyone.

I like the part where Jack Nicholson says to Cruise: " Telling the truth about audio equipment saves lives!" Wow, I didn't remember how cheesy some of that movie was (mostly Cruise). OT - people on a dicussion board have no obligation to respond to questions of any kind - if you choose to respond, give an honest opinion and it is then the responsibility of the person requesting the information to conduct his due diligence and make a decision how much weight to give any response. Primarily, we're tallking about subjective opinions here - not objective facts. If someone provides a response in the form of a "fact", the person asking the question should ask for the supporting data as well as the conclusion. No data, no fact.

" Primarily, we're tallking about subjective opinions here - not objective facts."

Right.... for those that don't know the difference.

A booger on your face = fact.

If your butt does or does not look fat in those jeans = opinion. (One best kept to oneself)

Shawn

I take it from several post now from several people that Paul's room/system is very good sounding (maybe exceptional) so what is in his Klipschorns as far as drivers and crossovers?

Mike,

They have Al K. networks. Other than that they're stock 1976 model C. The single biggest improvement ever to my system was putting it in this room.

Opinions are different than facts. We should all be able to agree on that. All that I am advocating is that when you ask somebody what he thinks about a piece of audio equipment, he tell you honestly what he really thinks about it. You can decide how much faith you want to put in his opinion, but you shouldn't have to also figure out if he's lying or not about his opinion.