What Is With Bidders On eBay????

tidmack

Fellas (and ladies)-

Please let me rant for a moment. If anyone watched my La Scala

auction this week, the irresponsibility by bidders has left me

dumbfounded.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMESO%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200073564971&rd=1&rd=1

I was pleased mid week when my reserve was met by a guy out in North

Dakota. He emailed me ahead of time

since his feedback rating was less than 10.

He explained that hed come to pick the speakers up, etc.

Saturday night, a bidder from Saskatchewan Canada put a bid in for roughly

$1500. I was a bit spooked because the

drive from his home to mine is over 20 hours and he never contacted me before

bidding (another under 10 feedback).

After calling this bidder this morning, I gave him until noon to contact

me or I would cancel his bid.

In the meantime, another bidder from IL put a bid in for just over

$1800.

At noon, after no phone or email response, I canceled the bid for the guy

from Saskatchewan.

I called the new high bidder from IL to let him know why I canceled the

Canadians bid and let him know that he was the high bidder. He promptly retracted his bid. . .Im sure

he retracted because he suspected I was maybe shilling the bids just to see

where his high bid was (which of course I wasnt).

Not so bad though because the reserve is still met at $1300. . .Until the

guy from North Dakota emails me saying he no longer will prepay for the speakers

and cannot pick them up within the 10 days that is stated in the auction. He went on to say he misread the auction

description. What? In addition, eBay wouldnt let him retract

his bid because the auction was ending soon so he basically said if I didnt

cancel his bid, he wouldnt pay. So I

canceled his bid and the auction went back to reserve not met at $1,000.

When the dust clears, the auction ends at $1324, reserve is met, and

everyone is happy. Im ok with the end

result, which is all that matters. It

appears the winner is legit and things should end smoothly.

BUT, Im a bit salty about the whole auction. I think a lot of potential last minute bidders were scared off by

the chaos in the closing hours. I know

I would have wondered what the heck was going on if I were a potential bidder. I couldnt let anyone know what was

happening because I could no longer add to my description per eBay rules.

Experiences like this really throw me.

Ive had flaky bidders on sports related items where the bidders are

kids, but youd think responsible adults would be bidding on Klipsch La Scalas.

Im just amazed by how many people

treat eBay like its a fictional place.

Rant over. Im sorry to vent, I

should just be happy I got a good price for a fine pair of speakers.

• Moderators

I tend not to get too excited about the bids. I just let them run their course, if the top buyer can pay within the terms, do local pick up then great, otherwise I report them and offer second highest bidder the right to pay the top bid. When you watch those bids it will drive you crazy. I think you would have ended up with 1800 if you hadn't watched it so closely. Next time just let it go, look for questions that may come in, answer then accurately, and don't worry about anything in between. If they don't have the cash to you by a certain time you have plenty of recourse. Now, do as I say, not as I do. When I sold LS's last summer, I put them on Craig's list and audiogon just to avoid all of the ebay crap. I got $1,100 from a local guy, in fair condition, there were some dings and ring spots on top. I of course offered a special deal to forum members first, with delivery to Klipschfest in Hope if need be-no takers.

But, like you say YOU GOT A GREAT PRICE.

Travis

Why all the communication with the bidders before the finish? Seems to me that the bidders are like a jury (and too much com before the bidding is done is sort of like jury tampering, even if not intentional), leave them alone until its finished. If things blow up, put 'em up for another auction...? Looks like you might have lost $500 scaring off the one in IL. As a bidder I would be a little worried about a contact from the seller before the thing was completed. Just my feelings about it.

Hmmm...I suppose if the seller contacted me before it ended I may have pause for thought.It's good it all turned out ok.I also agree it's best not to get too excited until you're paid.And lastly,ebay does kinda suck,lotsa good people but a few bad ones........

Great points guys, thanks. Travis, you make a lot of sense. . .I did too much "firefighting" trying to make sure I had legit bidders rather than just seeing where things went. I haven't always had the easiest time receiving my listing and ending fees back from eBay on a deadbeat bidder auction and got worried when people weren't following what I thought were pretty simple instructions. Even after "all these years" on eBay, I'm still learning! Thanks again for letting me vent, I appreciate the input. Perspective is invaluable.

Jeff

Well, first and foremost, congrats on the 1300. It's a respectable amount for LaScala's.

The answer to your question really has ot do with happy hour vs the morning after.

We don't know what folks are doing when they bid...meaning are they juiced up and on what....you heard of the saying don't go food shoping when your hungry....well computers should have device that prevent folks who are not straight from using them.

Then comes the morning after....what Have i done...no I didn't do that....did I....you can't get a hold of a lot of these folks in the morning because they are hung over.

Time your ebay sales to end when folks are probally straight. If you end listings friday night, and sateruday night, your going to be in for a treat. A lot of folks can't even spell ebay friday and saturday night.

got to run...need some more ice in my ......and what happend to the snacks...who the heck are you.....

A couple of weeks ago I posted the Khorns I got from Joe.
"Buy it Now" bidder from Canada hit the button. WTF, cant these people read for the USA only? 3 feedback's total. Didn't look good. Kept trying to pay me with a Visa check. I dont think so Tim.

Relisted them and a buyer from Minnesota ended the auction. 0 feedback's.
Here we go again I thought. The gentleman paid within an hour and drove out and picked them up within a weeks time.

I guess you can never tell who the good guys and the germs are.

I'm with you Pete. I guess when it comes down to it, I'm more disappointed in myself for not thinking this through. In the hub-bub, I didn't think to just let the bids stand and relist if need be (fearful of not getting listing fees and final value fees back).

Like you said too, brand new guy up in Minn. pays within an hour. . .you never know! On the upside, the guy who won my auction has already contacted me and we're setting up a time for him to pick the speaks up.

I lurk here pretty often and don't usually say much, but thanks again for the input. I still have my other pair of La Scalas, so I'm a happy camper.