Meagain's at it again

Parrot

My idea of a really good looking home version Jub would be the 60th Anni's lacewood front with a custom lacewood type picture frame around the 402 with black grill cloth panels on the sides of the bass bins and the same black grill cloth inside the 402's framework. With Meagain in mind you could vertually have a Artwork painting on the 402 grillcloth if you really wanted to dress them up[;)] I have seen a company but the name escapes me right now that actually does in walls that look like framed artwork but behind the art is you speaker

Now why on earth would you want to cover up such a drop-dead gorgeous horn such as the 402? LOL!

It doesn't matter if you put a masterpiece painting in front of the 402, the proportions of it compared to the bass cabinet are all wrong, aesthetically speaking.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like this thread is slowing down. This quote from another thread should fix things:

Parrot is online. Last active: 02-20-2007, 8:40 PMParrot

Top 25 Contributor

Joined on 11-30-2001

Ohio

Posts 6,647

Re: I had my hearing tested today...

icon-quote.gif
JJKIZAK:

I wonder what PWK's hearing curve was like? I would like to see an avatar graph associated with each person's post on this forum. I think this would really help people understand everyone's listening tastes and equipment preferences.

JJK

PWK was the first to admit that his hearing had considerably deteriorated as he grew old. From a Klipsch speaker owner's point of view, the Klipschorn was designed when PWK had his hearing intact, while the Jubilee was designed well after his hearing had suffered.

You really can't tell how someone with bad hearing is going to judge something. I remember many years ago when I was a teenager A-B'ing a couple of tapes of the same performance to my dad. The "A" tape was excellent and "B" had such reduced treble that it was a joke. My dad picked "B" as superior though. His hearing had been damaged from decades in an auto factory.

If you read through this thread and the many others even pwk thought the Klipschorn Jubilee bested the Klipschorn which we all know is no small feat.

No, not really. There is some discussion that the bass cabinet specs out better, but that's about it.
Obviously the top half was not ever really completed for a home version, and the theater version is a three-way. So much for the essential element of the Jubilee, that it be a two-way!

IMHO a finished bass bin with a 402 horn with a strech over grill cloth material matching the bass bin would absolutely rock

I am starting to think that as well - it would certainly be more aesthetically pleasing. Of course, I am still thinking the thing is just gigantic for a home. Then it occured to me; we are all completely nuts. A Khorn is huge, a La Scala is huge, a Belle is huge... folks walk into my listening room and are stunned I have such "huge" speakers (the Khorns). The Jub/402 has to be imposing in ANY room.

Paul has referenced the practicality of the system. I tend to agree with him. However, I am realizing most of us left the world of practicality long ago in our quest for sound. Why go back to it now.

no anarchist, don't go back.....run toward the light!!

If I were practical, I wouldn't have an equipment list that looks like an inventory sheet. Screw it. I want to hear them - not that I would buy them, mind you.

hmmmm......deano was at this point about 4 months ago..........

have a blessed day,

roy delgado

Re: "They were both designed for different environments" - Well I am basing this opinion on the reality of the current situation. Klipsch have only released the Jubilee as a commercial speaker, The rest of the comments about the Jubilee being designed for the home (but never used in this manner) are all smoke and mirrors as far as I'm concerned...

Would you be singing the same tune if they were made up all pretty like and sold only in the home audio markets for a lot of money? The whole crux of your argument stems on filing the speaker into a category based on looks and the markets that have pursued the speaker. It is, however, not based on performance or any amount of listening you have done for yourself.

Re: "The better choice for thehome has to be the Klipschorn" - Firstly, just look at the current Klipsch lineup. The Klipschorn is marketed for the home both aesthetically and size wise and obviously superior sound quality (based on my comments below). Secondly, you can't tell me the commercial Jubilee is built to the same standards as the Klipschorn (individual design complexity aside)...

...If the Jubilee was going to be marketed for home use, I would imagine Klipsch would take a big look at improving the build quality vis a vis the La Scala II so that the Jubilee would sound "...at least as good as the Klipschorn". In it's current form I really doubt the commercial Jubilee would give the Klipschorn a run for it's money.

So performance is dictated by the width of the cabinet walls? Why stop at 1" MDF on the lascala? Heck, if it's such an integral part to the sound quality, then let's put 20" worth of wood on the outside of our cabinets. Don't mind the fact that the speaker with narrower walls has a smoother frequency response, higher efficiency, less distortion, better polars, and heck - is more flexible with placement!

Oh, did I mention that it sounds better too? Are you suggesting that every Jubilee owner needs to invest in 3" side walls before they can truly realize the improvement in the design? Heck, that doesn't sound that hard to do. By all means, let's take the better sounding design to the next level...

hey Richard, we got another mod for ya to try!

They were both designed for different environments.

Oh really? And on what do you base this assumption?

I reckon the better choice for the home has to be the Klipschorn.

Everything else aside - how can you make this assumption without actually hearing the difference?

Hey Mike!

Re: "They were both designed for different environments" - Well I am basing this opinion on the reality of the current situation. Klipsch have only released the Jubilee as a commercial speaker, The rest of the comments about the Jubilee being designed for the home (but never used in this manner) are all smoke and mirrors as far as I'm concerned...

but.......(puff)......it......(puff).....was......(puff).....but......(puff)......don't...........(puff)...........let......(puff).........facts.......(puff).......stand.......(puff).....in the......(puff).......way..........(puff).............of a..........(puff)..........good..........(puff).......opinion........(man i look good).

Re: "The better choice for thehome has to be the Klipschorn" - Firstly, just look at the current Klipsch lineup. The Klipschorn is marketed for the home both aesthetically and size wise and obviously superior sound quality (based on my comments below). Secondly, you can't tell me the commercial Jubilee is built to the same standards as the Klipschorn (individual design complexity aside). Klipsch themselves have made a big deal about the La Scala II which is based on a so-called commercial design being the oringinal La Scala. Allow me to quote Klipsch in relation to the sound improvements expected from the La Scala II: "...The bass horn cabinet walls are now constructed of 1-inch thick MDF rather than ¾-inch plywood to offer more support, decrease resonance and deliver cleaner bass response". If the Jubilee was going to be marketed for home use, I would imagine Klipsch would take a big look at improving the build quality vis a vis the La Scala II so that the Jubilee would sound "...at least as good as the Klipschorn". In it's current form I really doubt the commercial Jubilee would give the Klipschorn a run for it's money.

but.......(puff)......it......(puff).....was......(puff).....but......(puff)......don't...........(puff)...........let......(puff).........facts.......(puff).......stand.......(puff).....in the......(puff).......way..........(puff).............of a..........(puff)..........good..........(puff).......opinion........(man i look good).

I guess though, as Roy has kindly offered, it's possible for Klipsch to build a 'special order' Jubilee (for an extra small amount of $$). This is the way I would go if I wanted a Jubilee. In fact this is probably the only way Klipsch could go if they wanted to market a home version of the Jubilee. It would be difficult financially to have in stock several domestic versions of the Jubilee on the off chance they might sell one or two a year.

have a blessed day,

roy delgado

If you read through this thread and the many others even pwk thought the Klipschorn Jubilee bested the Klipschorn which we all know is no small feat.

No, not really. There is some discussion that the bass cabinet specs out better, but that's about it.

well i see you have spoken to ole mr.k.....did you ask him about my slide rule?

Obviously the top half was not ever really completed for a home version, and the theater version is a three-way. So much for the essential element of the Jubilee, that it be a two-way!

have a blessed day,

roy delgado

Bad Cowboy,

You've had more than 24 hours to dig into your memory banks. Have you come up with any evidence that PWK (Paul W. Klipsch) figured the 402 would be a good option for a home Jubilee?

Also, if you know, what is the black horn on top of the Jubilee that Miss Valerie has in her home? If you know, how does it compare to the 510 and the 402? I'm figuring that since PWK chose that for his own home Jubilee, it's probably better for a home environment than the 510 or the 402.

Bad Cowboy,

You've had more than 24 hours to dig into your memory banks. Have you come up with any evidence that PWK (Paul W. Klipsch) figured the 402 would be a good option for a home Jubilee?

HEY!! WAS THAT A QUESTION?

pwk (paul wilbur klipsch) never heard a 402 on a jub lf (that was my monstrosity). he did hear a 510....he liked it but wanted a bigger horn than that.....

Also, if you know, what is the black horn on top of the Jubilee that Miss Valerie has in her home? If you know, how does it compare to the 510 and the 402? I'm figuring that since PWK chose that for his own home Jubilee, it's probably better for a home environment than the 510 or the 402.

it's a fiberglass version of the k-403 that never made it to production because (geesh one more time) WE COULDN'T FIND A VENDOR TO DO IT OUT OF WOOD!!

poo poo,

you just won't ever get it. you must have kevlar feathers cause it sinking in......THE HOME JUB WAS NEVER PRODUCED! (hey that sound better if you use a robot voice). THE ONLY THING THAT IS AVAILABLE IS THE KPT-KJH-LF (OR THE EXACT SAME THING THAT THE HOME JUB WAS GOING TO BE ONLY IN BLACK PAINT AND BLACK TEXTURED......(you remember the robot from lost in space...his name......hmmmmmm.....oh yeah.....robot!.....use his voice). YOU CAN CHOOSE ANY HORN YOU WANT BUT I HAVE PLAYED WITH A 402 AND 510 AND HAVE ACTIVE CROSSOVER PARAMETERS INCLUDING DELAY, FOR THEM AND HAVE A PASSIVE NETWORK FOR A 402 DONE AND SOON TO COME TO DEANO'S HOUSE A PASSIVE FOR THE 510 WITH A 69 DRIVER........(that wasn't a breath, i just reloaded my circuits).....I PERSONALLY THINK THAT THE 402 ON A JUB LF IS THE BEST 2 WAY I HAVE EVER HEARD CAUSE IT IS SMOOTH AND GUESS WHAT....THEY'RE HORNS AND EVEN THE 510'S SOUND VERY EXCELLENT!

was that so hard to understand?

have a blessed day,

roy delgado

Bad Cowboy,

I don't know what's up with Dean insulting you like that, especially since you've designed a passive network just for him, but I think your last post makes a lot of sense and confirms much of what I've said, so I certainly appreciate it.

As to the K-403, couldn't production ones be made out of fiberglass? Doesn't it sound good?

Bad Cowboy,

HEY!! WAS THAT A QUESTION?

pwk (paul wilbur klipsch) never heard a 402 on a jub lf (that was my monstrosity). he did hear a 510....he liked it but wanted a bigger horn than that.....

it's a fiberglass version of the k-403 that never made it to production because (geesh one more time) WE COULDN'T FIND A VENDOR TO DO IT OUT OF WOOD!!

poo poo,

you just won't ever get it. you must have kevlar feathers cause it sinking in......THE HOME JUB WAS NEVER PRODUCED! (hey that sound better if you use a robot voice). THE ONLY THING THAT IS AVAILABLE IS THE KPT-KJH-LF (OR THE EXACT SAME THING THAT THE HOME JUB WAS GOING TO BE ONLY IN BLACK PAINT AND BLACK TEXTURED......(you remember the robot from lost in space...his name......hmmmmmm.....oh yeah.....robot!.....use his voice). YOU CAN CHOOSE ANY HORN YOU WANT BUT I HAVE PLAYED WITH A 402 AND 510 AND HAVE ACTIVE CROSSOVER PARAMETERS INCLUDING DELAY, FOR THEM AND HAVE A PASSIVE NETWORK FOR A 402 DONE AND SOON TO COME TO DEANO'S HOUSE A PASSIVE FOR THE 510 WITH A 69 DRIVER........(that wasn't a breath, i just reloaded my circuits).....I PERSONALLY THINK THAT THE 402 ON A JUB LF IS THE BEST 2 WAY I HAVE EVER HEARD CAUSE IT IS SMOOTH AND GUESS WHAT....THEY'RE HORNS AND EVEN THE 510'S SOUND VERY EXCELLENT!

was that so hard to understand?

have a blessed day,

roy delgado

Outside of sarcasm....that is pretty good information. I didn't realize PWK hadn't heard the 402 but had heard the 501. So the K-402 is all Roy...Congrats. I also haven't heard of this K-403 until this thread. So Roy, was the K-403 "bigger" than the K-501? That isn't acoustically important but just curious.

I think the K-402 is just as ugly as any other black fiberglass horn with holes all around it. You can go to Usspeaker.com and get your fill of selection with that look. Come to think of it...the PWK K-401 is pretty damn ugly when not enclosed but it isn't offered that way from Klipsch. So why not just enclose the beast like the top section of a khorn........"Now it is a Home jubilee". You just have to do it on your own right now. Then just sand down the front panel of the black bass bin and make a black mirror finish. Then add grills to the KHJ exits. Whala....that is bad!

With the above in mind.....Roy...can you show everyone a picture of the "ENCLOSURE" for the K-402 already made in the Hope factory. I saw it when touring the Hope plant this past summer. I snuck away and started taking measurements of the new Klipschorn and pictures of its network when I discovered it. Kinda off the beaten path of the tour.

Anyway...my intention was to buy that thing and sand it down a little and paint with a mirror black finish. Then grill the front. I had mentioned it to Richard just as he had already placed his order.

Did anyone else see this?

jc

Well this is one of the weirder threads on the forum of late. How does Meagain fit into the last 10 pages or so - I think I missed a vital plot twist somewhere.

Talking of vital plot twists - are we saying in this thread that if the Jubilee had made it into production as a 2 way, no corner required top of the range speaker the KHorn as we know it today would have been withdrawn?

I think I picked that up around page 8 - but I am so exhausted from reading all of this I really am no longer sure....

have a blessed day,

roy delgado

LMAO!!!!!!!!

You are so bloody funny Roy.... You crack me up!

P.S. Anyhow, so what we've gleaned is that while the bass section of the Jubilee had been pretty much finalised, nothing had been set in stone regarding the mid/tweeter section and no decision had been made as whether the Jubilee was going to be a 2 way or a 3 way. But obviously the project stalled for whatever reason - cost? Okay, I can live with that.

So some bright spark (that's not you is it Roy? [;)]) decided to make use of the good work that had gone on and, viola! The commercial Jubilee

So the commercial Jubilee's bass section is to all intents and purposes the same as the proposed domestic version of the Jubilee - cosmetic considerations aside. Hmmmm.

It seems to me that there would be an awful lot of work still to do to work out what mid/tweeter horn and the related crossover would be required so the Jubilee could compete with the Klipschorn's superb coherency and musicalitiy. I remember reading about how much effort PWK put in to finetuning the Klipschorn's midrange response.

Richard, how tall is your set up?

You want floor to top lip of K402?

Edit: I just went down & took couple measurements.

The overall height of the Jubilee with K402 on top is right at 66"

The K402 itself, measures (from the bottom of its tray as opposed to bottom lip of horn) 26 1/2" tall and (lip to lip) 39 1/2" wide.