CD/DVD isolation techniques

JetJockey

Hi all. I was wondering if any of you have heard this tweak where you place hockey pucks and other dampening type items under the feet of CD players and turntables etc? I can see it with turntables , I remember getting feedback through mine when cranked too high,,LOL. But some folks swear its the cheapest easiest most effective tweak for CD players. I assume this would therefore hold true for DVD players as well?

Comments from experienced users of this method appreciated and especially from DR Who.

Regards, Chris.

FWIW, I have achieved close to 120 db near the mains, and the dvd player and cd player are both located near on a "flexi-rack". Never had a moment's trouble with playback of either unit, except the fact that the very light dvd player ( toshiba ) has moved on it's own, threatening to fall off the shelf. A piece of shelf liner under it fixed that problem. Some players ( older ones ) are susceptible to vibration induced skipping, but most all modern players are relatively immune.

From what I gather, its more about harmonic vibration causing jitter in the transport...

Michael, tend to doubt anyone could hear any fidelity at 120db...LOL and I thought I liked it cranked, and i do!

what are these pods you are talking about?

was also thinking about those soft pucks you can get for indoor/small kids use?

From what I gather, its more about harmonic vibration causing jitter in the transport...

Michael, tend to doubt anyone could hear any fidelity at 120db...LOL and I thought I liked it cranked, and i do!

what are these pods you are talking about?

was also thinking about those soft pucks you can get for indoor/small kids use?

The pods are trademarked "Vibrapod". I can get a link to a friend of mine who deals them if need be. I paid $80 for 16 of them. One size (#) for my amp, and the remaining 12 were the smaller size (#) .They are sized based on the weight of the component going on them.

I had tried brass cones, and felt more comfortable using something that would absorb the frequencies versus using a focal point to reduce them. As with anything in this obsession of ours, so much of it comes down to personal preference.

The Vibrapod Co. should have a web sight if you want to research them.

http://www.vibrapod.com/#skiptomain

Placing something under the cd player can change the sound. I have used Black Diamond Racing cones and pucks and it did improve the sound. When I experimented with a maple cutting board, 1 1/2" of MDF and acrylic sheets, again the sound did change. In some cases it was for the better and in other cases for the worse. The best answer is to experiment and see what you like, but each option will change the sound in some way.