Help with potential Cornwall purchase...

ddarch44

• Moderators

Own some Heresy, but am looking at a pair of Cornwall Ones tomorrow. Anything I should specifically ask? They are consecutive in order, and they have the risers.

Dave

Do you know the s/n's? If you can put them on here we can tell you what components they should be, what the finish should be, and what year they were made.

Travis

Hi all,

Well I pulled the trigger! My wife is gonna sh%$ when she sees how BIG they are. I didn't even realize it myself until I got there. I almost said no because it's gonna be tight quarters in my main system, and they are too damn nice to go in my second system.

Going back with my son to load them up tonight. I'll report back once I get them hooked up to my system.

D

Fate...definitely. Yeah, I live right in Exeter and have been looking for Cornwalls since I first bought my Heresys over a year ago. Like most folks, he didn't want to even consider shipping those lovely monsters, so he was elated to find someone local to buy. And, of course, I was elated to not have to worry about a pair being shipped.

Dave

There are very few audio purchases I've made in the past 20 somethign years that have resulted in this much happiness and fulfillment. The Cornwalls are all I could have wished for. I cannot listen to enough music! Literally hours today, and I have the day off tomrorow!! Lucky me.

A funny side note, I had my vta adjusted to favor the bass side of things because the previous speakers were Heresy's. Boy, did I have to rework THAT adjustment with the Cornwalls.

Dave

Hi Dave--

Didn't know you were a Klipsh fan.   I bought a great AR ES1 TT from you, and use it with a pair of 1982 Cornwalls.   I know you like to tweak, so let me offer you four things that I have done that have improved the sound of my Cornwalls.   First, the crossovers are probably on their last legs--oil filled capacitors and all that.   Several folks make replacement crossovers, and others offer designs, if you want to build from scratch.   I bought mine from Dean G, and they improved the sound--more from shifting the crossover points I think than my crossovers being worn out.  Al Klappenberger designs great ones, and Bob Crites also sells great crossover updates.  All on this forum.

Second, many feel the cabinets resonate a bit and I solved this with a 1" maple strap running across the motorboard horizontally, glued and screwed.  Others have added another panel on the outside of back panel, glued and screwed.

Third, I have applied caulk rope to the driver frames.  The woofer frame on the K33 woofer is stamped and while I couldn't hear it resonating, I can hear it not resonating.   If I had it to do over again, I might have used silicone rubber caulk for deadening, but if you do that, use ventilation for 24 hours--I expect the acetic acid curing agent of the silicone rubber sealant might do a number on voice coil metal as it cures.

Finally, I built the channel in the port which is designed to drop the bottom frequency from 36 hz to 28 hz...again, I am not sure that's a distinction my ears can recognize, but what is clear is that very low bass is much tighter and better defined.  You can hear the instrument better, not just the note, if you know what I mean.

Together, these tweaks have given my already great speakers tighter definition, and a more realistic sounding bottom end.  There are articles about all of these in the Cornwall mods threads.

Anyway--welcome to Cornwalls--you will love them.   I have had mine for 25 years, listening carefully for something I like better, and I still have them.

• 2 weeks later...