Linn Classik or separates?

ibanezhater

Yep, I am still living in my tiny bohemian bachelor pad, and I have little space for a new system. All I know for certain is that I will be getting a new pair of Heresy IIIs to replace my 16 year old KG 2.2s very soon.

I was considering the Linn Classik Music - a one box system with integrated amp, tuner and CD player all in one neat box. It's pricey, $2,300 list, and I was wondering if I can do better by going the separates route. I really don't listen to the radio, so I'd be looking at a CD player and integrated amp. The listening area is small, and the amp would also power a Toshiba LCD TV in two channel stereo only.

With $2,300, what is the best I can buy? I would be building the system around the Heresy IIIs. Costs would also include cables and interconnects.

Thanks,

--Mike

i dont know anything about the linn but what i do know is all compact systems i have heard are compramised in some form or fasion, and with your budget of 2300 you can do very well in the seperates department.........it is generally aknowledged that seperates will put out better sound than intergrated, the guys here can offer up some good equipment if they know a few things like do you want to go tube or ss, what type music you listen to etc...........

Joe

I listen to mostly rock music, especially heavy metal. I would like to be able to connect my laptop to my system to hear my MP3s without having to use an iPod, and I'd like to be able to connect a sub later if I wanted.

I like the look and idea of Rega amps, but can I connect a PC to a Rega integrated amp? How? How about a sub? The Mira and Apollo would complement each other well. Some Dayton interconnects and Blue Jean cables, and we're in business.

However I heard some people say Rega and heavy metal is a bad mix. Why?

Musical Fidelity makes a set of compact components, integrated amp, CD player and tuner, that might fit your budget and sound good.

I THINK I might know what you're talking about, but it's selling for $3,000, isn't it? It's a CD player, integrated amp, and power supply with a valve thrown in for sonics?

If you must spend money, that would be a great system. However, it can be sonically matched easily for 3 or 4 hundred with a class D reciever off Ebay and any decent CD player.

Most don't believe this, but I had a couple of folks over here the other night who seemed to feel my Panasonic XR 25 (127.00 delivered off Ebay) was very nice with 2 'horns, a Cornie, and 2 Frazier Mark IV's all at once. All that and only about 7 lbs. and no heat (not many 6X100 watt amps can say that).

See the "Seabrook Listen-In" three for their remarks...and bare in mind these guys are pure SET types.

Dave

I have owned quite a bit of Linn gear over the years--a couple of turntables (LP12 and Axis), a subwoofer (Sizmik), a tuner (Pekin), and two pairs of speakers (Kan and Tukan). Linn gear is BEAUTIFULLY made, sounds great and has excellent resale value.

That said, for $2300 in the used maket you can get a lot more bang for your buck.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1176335449'>

I have owned quite a bit of Linn gear over the years--a couple of turntables (LP12 and Axis), a subwoofer (Sizmik), a tuner (Pekin), and two pairs of speakers (Kan and Tukan). Linn gear is BEAUTIFULLY made, sounds great and has excellent resale value.

That said, for $2300 in the used maket you can get a lot more bang for your buck.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1176335449''>http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1176335449' mce_href="http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1176335449">

Perhaps a Linn Classik used? Not a bad idea, if I can find one.

I really do like the idea of a one box solution RIGHT NOW, as I could later use this with the Heresys as either a bedroom or office system when I buy my house out in the sticks. Of course, then I'd have to save up for Khorns, high end American made tube gear, a reference CD player, a Linn LP12 turntable, etc. for a proper listening room.

Sticking to one system boxes, I thought the Arcam Solo looked really nice. If I can find one to audition, I'd consider it if it sounded good, as it lists for something like $1,500, about $800 cheaper than the Linn box. I also think the Arcam has an optical input so I could run my laptop through it, or through a DAC. I don't know if the Linn has this.

beign so close to a really good system i'd tend to hold out a little bit longer, never heard it though from all reports

a
pretty good amp vdr's!!! peach' or which ever one with ht
bypass, a nice cd player, then go for your herasy , i think a
system

on this level would be very satisfying for a long time , move up the food chain. don't flounder at in the bargin basement.

don't flounder at in the bargin basement.

Linn or Arcam gear is hardly bargain basement.

I like the idea of tube gear, but I don't know where to begin. Integrated? Or a tube preamp and poweramp?

Besides Juicy Music, I am not even really sure what companies to look for - sorry, not buying Chinese made gear - my little political statement against a country that sh*ts on its people on an everyday basis.

As for a nice CD player, I like the Rega Apollo.

I love the whole getting back to where it all started: horns, tubes, vinyl, but I also want to be able to hook up a laptop to the amp or preamp to hear streaming music or MP3s, maybe through a DAC with an optical link. What tube companies make gear that can accomodate this?

Classiks in the used market seem to sell for about $900-$1100. Just keep checking on Audiogon and one will turn up soon.

I think that the Classik would be FANTASTIC with a set of Heresy IIIs. I have only heard the Classik with Linn Tukan speakers, but I am sure you'd be pleased . . .

It should do fine with a pair of Heresy, I too started with a pair of Tukans paired with the Classik. I'm now using a pair of single driver Fostex, which I think sound very nice with the Classik. I switched to the Fostex, since I have a pair of 2a3 amps being checked over, and will be trying these in the system also. As much as I try to go to a simple solution, deals always show up to try via separates! If your down around the Harrisburg area anytime, I'd be glad to let you hear the classik.

Joe