How old does a Klipsch speaker have to be in order to require any upgrades to the materials used?

Roc Rinaldi

I am collecting numerous forte IIs. What is the recommendation as to whether 15 - 17 year old forte IIs need anything done to them in the form of upgrades?

The ones that I currently have sound just great the way that they are so does the age really matter?

Are there any materials that were used that would definitely have deteriorated by now or am I OK for now if they continue to sound great?

If I am OK now, then how old must the speakers be as to when I should consider any upgrades, and what would those upgrades be?

Bob Crites will tell you (perhaps not now that I have invoked his name without the express written permission of Major League Baseball) that the crossovers in our "extended" Heritage speakers were pretty bad right from the git go so...I haven't as yet replaced my 13-15 year old Quartet crossovers but...

Bill

I have Forte II, and Quartets (all these are about the same era as yours) and love them. I don't feel any compulsion to change anything.

It is true that the Heritage series, at least the older ones, use the the paper in oil caps. Some of them are coming up on the half-century mark. People report improvements in replacing them. I can't take a position on that, never having done it. It is, though, a much different cap than what you have.

Gil

I would really disagree on leaving the crossovers untouched on the Forte, Forte II, Chorus, Heresy II and others that have the crossover built on the input terminal block.  Two problems with those.  

1. They mounted heavy components on the plastic block.  Over time I am seeing more and more of those with the heavy autotransformer just broken off and hanging by the wires.  

2.  The little caps they used are much cheaper than those used in earlier Klispch designs and (in my opinion) needed replacement before they left the factory.

Bob Crites.

Roc,

I don't have a Forte II crossover here, but I will attach a picture of a Forte 1 crossover. The Forte II is probably a lot like this one only perhaps it has a circuit board for the parts and so may look a bit better.

Bob

post-9312-13819325469882_thumb.jpg

Bob,

Do you build and sell crossovers for Chorus II? If so, at what cost per pair?

I haven't built new crossovers for the Chorus II yet, but could do it.

Send me an email if you are interested in them.

Bob Crites
bobcrites@mac.com

I've got H2's & F2's, and if they were the only speakers I had, I'd probably upgrade a pair.......But at least you got me thinkin' about it again...NP...Bob Dylan - Love & Theft..............................................................................................................

Roc and others:

I provide reaplacement networks for the Academy, Chorus I and II, Forte I and II, Heresy, KLF-C7, KLF-20 and KLF-30 (called the K-stack); please write me for information. Many, many folks here have used these and are very happy with the results. Here is a picture of my K-stack Forte II network beside an original network; the differences are obvious, and the change in sound quality is remarkable. I have additional pictures if anyone is interested, or search on the forum for a history on the topic of "K-stack".

Chris Munson

post-14415-13819325581002_thumb.jpg

But how old does a Klipsch speaker have to be in order to require any upgrades to the materials used?

Half of my work is doing RF-7's and few others out of the Reference line which use epoxy coated oval polypropylene capacitors -- which I replace with Kimber capacitors. All of those speakers are relatively new. Forte, Forte II, Chorus, Chorus II, Heresy II, and all of the KLF speakers use mylar capacitors, and I personally think all of those speakers benefit from the use of higher quality polypropylene types. Sometimes the age of the speaker mandates substitution of the older parts, but my opinon is that all speakers regardless of age respond favorably to part upgrades.