Ebay weirdness

oldtimer

That's what it looks like to me.

I'm not so sure I like this generic bidder 1, 2, etc. method ebay is using for certain items now, however.

Why are they doing that, I wonder?

It's supposed to help with security. I don't know about that however if you click on Bid History, then look at the Bidders, you can click on "View" to see a lot of useful information about the individual bidders. Makes it a bit easier to pick out goofs and shills I think.

Has anyone seen this before? Is this just one bidder hunting for the reserve?

Yes, and I beleive you are correct. The bidder is trying to find the reserve, without overshooting it. Once over-shot, the shiller's jump in and drive it up up up.

One bidder with rising bids means that the reserve has not been met at the lower bids by the same bidder....else adding to your max bid would not rasie your bid.

I have had that happen to me a few times. 

Before you could kind of figure out if it was a real mbidder or not by checking the feedbacks, but unless you are bidding as well on the item you can't do that anymore. Any way if the bidder is a fake once he passes the reserve he will mostlikely retract the bid in this case you can also cancel yours ( this method is usally used but the newbs on ebay), if the seller refuses tell him that you will report the auction to ebay. It usally does the trick.
If the fake bidder is a friend of the seller you will mostelikely get a second chance offer. In this case  I usally tell the seller that I'm willing to pay only up to what was my bid before the fake bidder started bid not what was my maximum bid which most of the time  would not have been even close if the fake bidder had not try to out bid me.
Either way always tell the seller (if you are sure that you go tricked) that you are going to report him to ebay. Most of the time  he is going to work with you.
Also the real newbs get there friends to bid on the auction from the same computers which in this case is really funny, since ebay monitors the Ip's of the computer, they usally end up with there accounts being cancelled.
If it is to good to be true.... well you know the rest