Another Question for Bodcaw Boy (Roy)

ClaudeJ1

I found my old Audio Papers with PWK's autograph, from when I was still a kid. In describing "A New High-Frequency Horn," in the paper dated Nov. Dec. 1963, PWK describes the K-400 as being an improvement over the K-5-J in all aspects of horn perfomance. Lower cutoff frequency of 240 vs. 300 for the old horn. Also he cites flatter response above 3,000 Hz vs. the old horn, along with a high frequency extension to over 6,000 Hz. vs. 5,000 Hz. for the K-5-J. Paul always refered to a "metal copy" of his K-5-J, which I assumed meant the Altec 511-B.

So, leaving all of your latest Tractrix designs out of it for a moment, Roy, why do so many of the people on this board substitute a "metal copy" (511B) on top of a K-horn, LaScala, or Belle as being audibly superior, when PWK's papers clearly show it as inferior. Did Altec make that much of an improvement to the K-5-J by adding those partition things near the mouth?

Also, can I purchase a K-510 horn lens for my EV DH1A drivers? Or do I have to buy drivers AND horns like I do for the 402??

Wow, this thread kicked off in another direction, lol...

For what it's worth, not everyone here prefers the Altec 511B to the K-400....we're just less vocal about it. In the grand scheme of things, I would argue that they are more different than either being better in all categories.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yep i did a 510/69 on jub lf and a 402/69 on another jub lf.

not bad if i do say so myself and i plan on turning on the amp and listening to that combo very soon!

Great! Listening to music is what it's all about. Or . . . are you going to be listening to sweep tones?

Parrot... you might get a perverse kick out of this. When we went to Hope last summer, several of us got there a couple days early. One day we had the chance to swing by the factory and the Jubilee that Roy was going to 'audition' for us was in the test chamber. Of coruse we all wanted to see inside there and all that, but while in there, Roy asked "Would you like to HEAR the Jubilee?"

Well, I think our collective answer was "well DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" and we all scurried into the test chamber and they shut the door.

This thing was sitting in a very imposing way on a stand with a mic a couple feet in front of it.

As we were preparing, I was asking myself..."I wonder what he'll play for us?"

Freebird?

Frank Sinatra?

Bee Gees?

Then it started. The volume (thankfully) wasn't anywhere near its capability but it started none the less. We were getting a sneak listen to the Jube...

Then the sound grew a bit... what piece did he bestow upon our ears, but a test tone sweep!!!!

[:o]

post-15072-13819325933104_thumb.jpg

Two peas in a pod... I'm not surprised.

On a completely unrelated note, where did the term "jerk" come from anyhow?

i'm offended by the word "jerk". you obviously must be a bigot!!

can we make that two black-eyed peas in pod? i really love them suckers (it is okay to say suckers?)....

have a blessed day,

roy delgado

Man. Can't this thread about "questions for Roy".

Is there any chance we could get the "Commercial Audio" section of this forum popular. I think this would eliminate a bunch of Bull$hit.

jc

i'm offended by the word "jerk". you obviously must be a bigot!!

can we make that two black-eyed peas in pod? i really love them suckers (it is okay to say suckers?)....

have a blessed day,

roy delgado

I may be, but I'm working on my tolerance for passive aggressive douchebags. Thanks for your help.

music?? what's that? actually i listen to pink noise..... i figure it has every song written and every song that is ever going to be written in it...

LOL! That is by far the most awesome quote ever [:D][Y]

Yeah, that is great....

...if you had an infinite number of monkeys and an infinite number of keyboards....

Shawn

shawn,

is it me dodging the questions or did i get a hit?

have a blessed day,

roy delgado

Roy,

Not you dodging the question, Parrot dodging the question of what is the huge difference between the Heritage and the Jubilee.

Shawn

Parrot... you might get a perverse kick out of this. When we went to Hope last summer, several of us got there a couple days early. One day we had the chance to swing by the factory and the Jubilee that Roy was going to 'audition' for us was in the test chamber. Of coruse we all wanted to see inside there and all that, but while in there, Roy asked "Would you like to HEAR the Jubilee?"

Well, I think our collective answer was "well DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" and we all scurried into the test chamber and they shut the door.

This thing was sitting in a very imposing way on a stand with a mic a couple feet in front of it.

As we were preparing, I was asking myself..."I wonder what he'll play for us?"

Freebird?

Frank Sinatra?

Bee Gees?

Then it started. The volume (thankfully) wasn't anywhere near its capability but it started none the less. We were getting a sneak listen to the Jube...

Then the sound grew a bit... what piece did he bestow upon our ears, but a test tone sweep!!!!

[:o]

Funny story, Coytee. Thanks for sharing.

Actually, you are the one who refused to post the polar responses that I requested, because you knew that they would back up what I have been saying. Nice try to obfuscate though. Why not take your hissy fits to PMs, instead of trolling in public?

" because you knew that they would back up what I have been saying."

You think that but you are wrong.

First, as was mentioned the later Heritage speakers used constant coverage horns.

Second, as has been mentioned there is a huge difference between the old Heritage and the Jubilee that directly relates to this. But you can't figure out what that is.

Riddle me this Parrot... say the K400 starts to collapse at around 4k... what happens above that point?

"Why not take your hissy fits to PMs, instead of trolling in public?"

You are projecting....

Shawn

Shawn,

Are you still in that room that you did all that elaborate decoupling in? Docoupling the studs from the floor and ceiling and all that. If you wouldn't mind running through it again for the kind folks here who may not have read it the first, I'm sure it would be interesting.