projection vs. all others

InVeNtOr

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have another post that shows how i want to design my room. i quickly good the smx screen out of my head. i am just going to put the speakers in the wall and then cover them up. it may just be easier and cheaper. i am not even going to be looking at projectors for a while. i am going to be buying the house in march 08 and it won't be built in septerber. the technoloy we change so much by then.

"So does that mean that "acoustically transparent" is a misnomer?"

Depends upon the screen. Some have less of an acoustic impact then others. They tend to effect the high end more then the rest of the spectrum.

Likewise some 'acoustically transparent' screens have less of a visual effect then others but in most cases they all have some sort of effect on the picture. Moire patterns and things like that in some setups may not be a problem but in other setups they will.

Like most everything else they are a trade off.

In my case I didn't want to make that trade off so I sized my screen to fit above my front speakers and had it hang from the ceiling so that it in effect created a 'screen wall.' I couldn't go with a real screen wall (fake wall to hold the screen with black grill cloth over the rest of the wall for the speakers to hide behind) as I needed ventilation for the mini-split AC/heat pump that I put up on the wall behind the screen.

Shawn

I second this opinion. If you have never owned a front projector system, an inexpensive 720p unit will blow you away. For around $2500, you can get an awesome projector and screen. 1080p is a great technology but it is still very expensive. 1080p is still very expensive and I doubt you would notice the difference if you have never had a front projector. Save your money and I promise, you will not be dissappointed. If you get upgradeidus later, the cost of a 1080p will probably cost less than the difference of both systems at this date.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Inventor -

I live in Plano and I have two Klipsch powered systems. One has 5 Cornwalls and a 65" diag TV, the other is 5 Heresy's and AX100 720p front projection system ~106" diag 1.78 and ~133" diag for 2.35. The projector is in a 11.5'x16' room so very similar to yours. This will give you a good comparsion of the options you are considering. Send me a PM if you would like to come over for a demo. I would be happy to put both systems through their paces for you.

Laters,

Jeff

Inventor,

It is worth going to Jeff's in Plano if not for any other reason than to hear that Cornwall set up. Now that his projection room is done I am stoked too 'cause he does good work. Also from another post I think it would be cool to check out your system and we can mess around with placement, toe-in, etc. You can email or send a pm, I am in Denton, not sure where you are.

i got it. thanks. i look forward to it. it's really nice that you would allow strangers into your home.

We do it all the time, here in Texas. Us southern folk are known for our hospitality (besides, it is a "right to carry" state!)[:D]

LOL. I was taking a rifle to my dad the other day, we were going to meet downtown where our pool league was that night. Nebraska is just 2.5 months past gaining sanity about concealed carry, and my wife hears all kinds of 'warnings' about 'the crazy people carrying concealed' from somewhere. As I'm walking out the door with the rifle over my shoulder (1.25" barrel, Unertl target scope, benchrest-type stock, ~20lbs), she says to me, "Don't get in trouble for carrying, you don't have your (concealed carry) permit yet!" I just laughed, as I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, and I asked her, "Where did you think I was going to conceal it?"

• Klipsch Employees

I have just picked up a 720P (http://www.costco.com/images/content/misc/PDF/135613.pdf) I realy like it. $1400 with a 1.8 gain graywolf screen.

I was using a old Sony CRT projo, that works very well, but is a real pain to set up.

There are things to look for in projection, start reading on the subject. DLP vs. LCD ect...

My projo only has 1 color wheel. In high contrast, fast action shots, I can see a "color trail". The first time I thought it was flashbacks, but that is a story for another time[A].

I have all La Scala's in the front (4 of them, 2 1982 LS and 2 LSII) The sub is in front as well. All behind a screen/grill cloth.

I had a perf screen and did not like it. The holes looked like someone shot it with 00 buck shot.

The set up I have now works well for me. I can run and see the media with all the lights on, (no windows), and I had to trun the brightness down.

The only inwall speakers that I could live with in my HT are the THX ultra II inwalls from Klipsch.

The same may be true for you, because of what you are used to hearing.

i got it. thanks. i look forward to it. it's really nice that you would allow strangers into your home.

We do it all the time, here in Texas. Us southern folk are known for our hospitality (besides, it is a "right to carry" state!)[:D]

LOL. I was taking a rifle to my dad the other day, we were going to meet downtown where our pool league was that night. Nebraska is just 2.5 months past gaining sanity about concealed carry, and my wife hears all kinds of 'warnings' about 'the crazy people carrying concealed' from somewhere. As I'm walking out the door with the rifle over my shoulder (1.25" barrel, Unertl target scope, benchrest-type stock, ~20lbs), she says to me, "Don't get in trouble for carrying, you don't have your (concealed carry) permit yet!" I just laughed, as I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, and I asked her, "Where did you think I was going to conceal it?"

Take the wife's comment as a compliment. Maybe she knows something we don't!!![6]

Take the wife's comment as a compliment. Maybe she knows something we don't!!![6]

ROFL "This is my weapon! This is my gun! This one's for fighting! This one's for fun!" Bonus points to the first to name the movie the quote is from. (I think I have it right. Close, anyway.)

how did you not know it was full metal jacket! man i should have responed earlier. how many people only watch the first half of full metal jacket? for me once the boot camp is over, i'll just turn it off.

fyi, R. Lee Ermy (the drill insturctor) got that job becasue he was the "tech" rep and he was trying to teach the actor(s) how to be a D.I. since a couple of actors could be as good as Ermy, he got the job.