I finally got Cornwalls!!!!!!!!!!!!

nomad02rider

I finally picked up some 1978 Cornwall's on Sunday. I have been looking for a few weeks. Three hour drive each way to get them and they just barely fit into the Honda Accord. I had to use a bungy on the trunk lid. I sent the crossovers to Bob today for him to go over, and will be getting some replacement tweeters. They sounded like something was missing and I hope the crossover update and replacement tweeters get them where they need to be. Also missing one dust cap on one woofer. Cabinets were in decent shape. One of the grills could use to be redone, so I guess I will doing both of them. If anyone has any grill cloth or knows of a place to purchase it please let me know. These things are huge! My 14 year old daughter told me they look old. I like the looks very much. The wait was long to purchase these, now the wait is going to seem forever before I get my crossovers back. I have been emailing Bob and Marshall about issues we these and would like to thank them both for their help. Also thanks to Chris.

• Moderators

Congratulations on the purchase. I am on the same hunt as you right now, I just sold my Khorns and am looking to replace them with Cornwalls. I think my pickup with be 8 hours each way, but the condition of the ones I am getting I will not have to really do anything to them at all. Do you have any photos yet?

Travis

Welcome to the Madness! I started with CW's and look at me now!

Speedball- you're welcome by here anytime, I think there are a few CW's if you'd like to take a listen...

lol, be careful if you take Colter up on his offer....it usually results in hours upon hours of listening to great music.

Heritage in general should have the following label:

WARNING: These Loudspeakers will cause endless hours of listening pleasure. Please exercise caution and allow for hours entertainment during usage. These units have been known to cause marital issues, and furthermore, can increase daily procrastination involving daily responsibilities.

ENJOY

Paul's a happy guy for sure!!!! He had come over and looked at a pair of H-II's I had for sale week before last, but I think he got "spoiled" when I showed him the LS's and the KC's. I ended up buying one of the Cornwall pairs that Paul was also looking at; could not resist the buy it now price. Got them home and my wife was impressed and happy, BUT then I got "the look" and she "ordered" me to get rid of something, thus the latest H-I's for sale..... Oh well, but I agree with everyone in that the Cornwall is an absolutely amazing speaker. I wish I had bought a pair years ago, but skipped them for Klipschorns and then a pair of LaScala's at the time.

• Moderators

I am on the same hunt as you right now, I just sold my Khorns and am looking to replace them with Cornwalls.

Can I ask why you did this? Did I miss something?

Mike

Mike,

It has been the topic of discussion in my "WTB Cornwalls" thread located here http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/884101.aspx

Mark asked the same question, and I tried to explain with a photo that it is more a function of the room, HT is on short wall, 2 channel is on long wall, this requires the movement of furniture and one KSP-400 HT speaker to go from one to the other.

I was just thinking though, the 60th Anniv. Ed Khorns have sealed backs that, essentially, act as a false corner? If they do not require a false corner, and depending on the the size (there is an issue about the size interfering with the entryway) I might be able to go with those. So I am going to continue with the CW possibility but if 60th Khorns will work with their sealed backs I might start trying to beg borrow or STEAL a pair from Klipsch somehow some way.

Travis

Bob Crites re-caps? If so, you'll definitely hear an audible difference. Let me know how you like the updates or replacements.

Jury still out on mine........some things sound good, others sound like ARS. Very weird, but tonally they are totally different. I can't put my finger on it, unless the actual media and subsequent engineering are the root cause!

Since most of my stuff qualifies for "antique" status in Florida..... I pretty much have had Bob go through most of my crossovers and replace the caps. Difference? Yes, I too can tell, especially with the Klipschorns. They are more "clear", and I picked up a little, not much, bass, somewhere around 300hz (could be my 'magination...). That being said, my Cornwalls, because they are 87's their crossovers will be probably be recapped by Bob next year. That should really be a good "tweak".