Klipsch Speaker Questions

PhilMays

I have a question. I have set-up a 2 channel system. For the time being, I bought off of ebay a set of Polk Monitor 5's that I only paid $60 for.

I toyed for a with the idea of placing my RF-3's from my theater into the 2 channel and replacing the RF-3's (were surrounds) with RS-7's. I tried this twice and did not like the results. I felt the Monitor 5's (3 way speaker with a 8" woofer, 4 inch mid range and silk dome tweeter in a bass reflex cabinet) gave a crisper sound. The RF-3's would obviously dig deeper in bass, but that's not what I want in two channel. The monitors have stunning bass as they are, and plenty for me in that room.

With my reference line-up, I seem to be missing the crisp cymball's and breaking glass or upper highs. I think perhasp the Reference tweeter does not give the sound I like in the upper range.

My question is this....Does the Heritage line-up have a crisper high end than the Reference line-up?

Please don't get me wrong, I am not bashing, and I love Klipsch! My Theater set-up is very inspiring and actually is great for music. I have DeanG modded RF-7's for the mains there and you would have to pry them from my cold dead hands to get them!!!

Anyway, I'm thinking about upgrading the 2 channel speakers soon. I am considering some larger Polk's of some sort, B & W's of some sort, Perhaps some Martin Logans, and of course Belles.

Thanks

Phil

Phil, I don't mind being first to jump in. While I have heard heritage I am more comfortable relating my impressions of "extended heritage" namely forte II's since that is where most of my experience lies. I'm not sure what you mean by "crisp" but the highs on the the FII's are all there, and to me accurate. A hi-hat sounds like a hi-hat, and a cymbal sounds like a cymbal, whether it is being rolled or crashed. Some people seem to think that the hi-hat sound is some bizarre ultra high spit (the emit tweeter from infinity comes to mind) but that sound is artificial. Personally I think the highs sound great, and I still get blown away by that high sweep in ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition when Emerson hits that insanely high note at volume and then sweeps it down. I guess this does not really answer your question since I have nothing to offer regarding a reference comparison. Sorry. Hopefully you can find some heritage or extended and hear for yourself.

Anyway, I'm thinking about upgrading the 2 channel speakers soon. I am considering some larger Polk's of some sort, B & W's of some sort, Perhaps some Martin Logans, and of course Belles.

Ok Dude... first, there are some Belles on ebay right NOW that are very near me. You can stash them at my place until you can come pick them up and by happenstance, give the Jubilees a listen.

Bad thing about that is when I hit the a/b switch and kick the Jubilees in... well...let's not go there, I hate seeing a grown man cry.

So, with that said, before you spend any change on any the above, you really should give them a listen and then you will realize why they will be the last pair of speakers for 2-way that you ever consider again.

Would this face (insert image of myself) lie to you?

Bring your soon to be bride... stay overnight in my Newlywed Suite, overlooking the waterfall that is gently babbling like a brook on the back patio of the rock adorned pond, being gently awoken by the croak of (no, not Fini) but of little frogs...

You can come, visit, listen and then fight with your new bride on do you keep them or keep her!! [A]

Phil, I can only agree with Richard if you are looking at B&W Nautilus 803's or higher or the middle range of the Martin Logan's since the Jub set up would set you back 7 to 8 grand with passice x-overs!

Also you mention 3 totally different two channel rig speaker systems in DR/B&W's, Electrostatic ML's and horn loaded Belle's! I would think with those choices it's going to be dependant on your amps and associated gears[:^)]

What do you mean by "crisper" high end?

Generally speaking, the heritage speakers have better mids than the reference. However, I would probably argue that the Reference speakers have a more extended high end. Most of the K77's peter out around 15kHz and according to some measurements as low as 12kHz. All of the newer Reference speakers are probably good to 18kHz no problem.

You did however mention that you have DeanG modded crossovers...the little trick he implements actually brings down the volume of the entire squawker. Sure, it fixes a small resonant peak in the midrange, but you're going to sacrifice HF extension for it. Perhaps this is what you're noticing? You might try undoing your mod and see if the HF detail comes back - if it does, then I would recommend pursuing alternative methods to reducing the spike in the midrange.

Anyways, people percieve different frequency bands differently and I wouldn't be surprised if moving to a 3-way with squawker doesn't sound like it has "crisper highs". Highs for me are 8kHz+, but I know many people that feel it's 3kHz+.....and the latter is a region that would be covered a bit more by the squawker.

One last comment...you mentioned the word "soon". I have found that in this hobby that it's absolutely vital to remain patient and make your purchases carefully. A speaker is something that you could live with for the next 30 years if you go down the right path - or it's going to be something that you'll lose at least 50% of your investment and kick yourself in the butt for doing. I would say take the time necessary to do the proper listening comparisons and let your own ears be the judge. The speakers you're considering are very different from each other...

Btw, what kind of music do you listen to and how loud do you like it?

Phil

I started with 7's, had Dean mod them & enjoyed them very much. Picked up some cw's, had Bob mod them including his tweeter, & while I was at it bought his Cornscala II's. My 7's are now sitting idle until I figure out how to use them or sell them.

Heritage to me is a more pleasing total package. It is a wider sound & I find it to be more chrisp/detailed because of the better midrange.

Thanks for the reply's. I will be driving the speakers with a Marantz 2385, so it has plenty of power. Soon to me is I am impatient now, but am actively looking. I think the Belle's are just about the best looking speaker I have seen. I need to audition, obviously.

Richard, it sounds like you live in Eden! Very nice offer and we may take you up on it. You live around Knoxville I believe. We have a very dear friend who give anesthesia there as well and have been meaning to do that trip.

I REALLY need to listen to some Heritage stuff :)

Phil,

I became an immediate Heritage convert when I bought my Forte ll's new in 1989. Loved the highs, loved the mids, and loved the low end. I have never heard a speaker so well rounded across any type of music or DVD movie you throw at it in this price range. I drive mine with a Denon POA 2400 amp and would put them up today in a side by side against many costing multiples of what I paid, even back then ($1,200). I hope no one throws rocks my way, but Reference is a different, less appealing sound for me, and they don't compare in my book, or my brother's, and we are both Klipsch fans. He owns La Scalas, and although you cannot argue with the effortless highs and mids they produce, we both know that I kick his behind when it comes to tight low end Bass. With Khorns or Belles or La Scalas the first requirement is probably a very understanding wife who is willing to give up some square footage in the family room. The size of the F2's is not as imposing as the others, and yet you still have the full range of sound. My Forte ll's also anchor my HT setup, and do so extremely well, without a subwoofer. You can probably pick up F2's in good condition on ebay for $500-$700. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Phil,

You are welcome to wander up to Powhatan and have a listen to my LaScalas. Bring your Marantz along if you want as I only have two choices in amps and one of them is a Marantz SR4500 the other and older Sony.

Its only abour 120 miles from Danville to Powhatan and don't you come up to Richmond every so often. Bring the little lady along and the 4 of us can go out to dinner.

Steve